Another "my first" pole pano

  • Szymon "Zbooy" Madej
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
      Hello everyone,

      As I have proudly joined the rank of pole-panoramists, here comes my first
      pole image:
      http://panoramy.zbooy.pl/360/pan/kopiec-kosciuszki-pod-szczytem-maszt/e

      Delivery of Agnos pole from Italy to Poland took just 4 days but due to very
      windy weather I had to wait another week or so to make some use of it.
      Balancing $3K of delicate equipment 6 meters above the ground still gives me
      lots of adrenaline :-)

      I've got a question for more experienced of you - how do you keep your
      camera from swaying so much from side to side when pole-mounted?

      zbooy

    • Juergen Schrader
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
        Good Work, Szymon.
        (I've already been waiting for somone doing this in Poleland *g*).

        I also enjoyed the ones from the Tatry. A place I always wanted to
        visit. Maybe next summer ...

        cu
        Jürgen
      • Pat Swovelin
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
          Szymon "Zbooy" Madej wrote:
          > Hello everyone,
          >
          > As I have proudly joined the rank of pole-panoramists, here comes my first
          > pole image:
          > http://panoramy.zbooy.pl/360/pan/kopiec-kosciuszki-pod-szczytem-maszt/e

          Great pano. What was the original intention for the mound, was it a
          lookout "tower" of some kind?

          > Delivery of Agnos pole from Italy to Poland took just 4 days but due
          > to very
          > windy weather I had to wait another week or so to make some use of it.
          > Balancing $3K of delicate equipment 6 meters above the ground still
          > gives me
          > lots of adrenaline :-)
          >
          > I've got a question for more experienced of you - how do you keep your
          > camera from swaying so much from side to side when pole-mounted?

          If you're looking up at the camera as you rotate the pole you'll be able
          to see that it's staying in place as you rotate it vs. if you're looking
          at the bubble level as you rotate it then look up and have to wait for
          the swaying to die down. Once it's initially leveled (on the bubble)
          it's quite easy to look at the camera and keep it in that 'location" in
          the air as you rotate it. Plus you're only rotating it a few degrees
          (90° at most and probably only 60°) so it shouldn't have a lot of
          lateral G-force (because the weight isn't centered over the pole, the
          lens is) on it as it rotates.

          > zbooy

          Pat Swovelin
          Cool Guy @ Large
        • Szymon "Zbooy" Madej
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
            Pat Swovelin-2 wrote:

            > What was the original intention for the mound, was it a
            > lookout "tower" of some kind?

            Yes, I know, I really should make English descriptions somewhat longer
            but... "so much to do, so little time" :-)
            Actually this 30+ metres high mound was built on a hill above Kraków in the
            1820s to commemorate Tadeusz Kosciuszko, a Polish (and American) freedom
            fighter. The fort that surrounds it is some 30 years younger; it was built
            by Austrians as a part of the Kraków Fortress.
            Here's the official site:
            http://www.kopieckosciuszki.pl/?x=historia_kopca&lang=en

            > Once it's initially leveled (on the bubble)
            > it's quite easy to look at the camera and keep it in that 'location" in
            > the air as you rotate it. Plus you're only rotating it a few degrees
            > (90° at most and probably only 60°) so it shouldn't have a lot of
            > lateral G-force (because the weight isn't centered over the pole, the
            > lens is) on it as it rotates.

            OK, I get it, thanks a lot. I just need to practice a bit more, hopefully
            over the weekend.
            BTW, I'm doing 120 deg rotations for just three images (the famous 5D/10.5
            combo).

            zbooy

          • Pat Swovelin
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
              Szymon "Zbooy" Madej wrote:

              > Pat Swovelin-2 wrote:
              >> What was the original intention for the mound, was it a
              >> lookout "tower" of some kind?
              >>

              > Yes, I know, I really should make English descriptions somewhat longer
              > but... "so much to do, so little time" :-)
              > Actually this 30+ metres high mound was built on a hill above Kraków
              > in the
              > 1820s to commemorate Tadeusz Kosciuszko, a Polish (and American) freedom
              > fighter. The fort that surrounds it is some 30 years younger; it was built
              > by Austrians as a part of the Kraków Fortress.
              > Here's the official site:
              > http://www.kopieckosciuszki.pl/?x=historia_kopca&lang=en

              Thanks. Boy, there's a lot of history on that page. After having seen
              that page you should, IMHO, shoot a pano from the fort to show how
              massive the mound is. It's size and especially height are lost in your
              pano because everything "falls away" from you in the pano whereas in a
              shot from the fort you'd be able to see it in context with the fort and
              be able to tell how large it really is.

              Or not... =8^)

              After having been to the site above I'd say you need to get them to link
              to your pano in favor of what they're using now. There's a night and
              day difference.

              >> Once it's initially leveled (on the bubble)
              >> it's quite easy to look at the camera and keep it in that 'location" in
              >> the air as you rotate it. Plus you're only rotating it a few degrees
              >> (90° at most and probably only 60°) so it shouldn't have a lot of
              >> lateral G-force (because the weight isn't centered over the pole, the
              >> lens is) on it as it rotates.
              >>

              > OK, I get it, thanks a lot. I just need to practice a bit more, hopefully
              > over the weekend.
              > BTW, I'm doing 120 deg rotations for just three images (the famous 5D/10.5
              > combo).

              You might want more coverage than that when you're doing pole panos to
              make your stitching easier with a larger overlap.

              > zbooy

              Pat Swovelin
              Cool Guy @ Large
            • Szymon "Zbooy" Madej
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
                Pat Swovelin-2 wrote:

                > you should, IMHO, shoot a pano from the fort to show how
                > massive the mound is. It's size and especially height are lost in your
                > pano because everything "falls away" from you in the pano whereas in a
                > shot from the fort you'd be able to see it in context with the fort and
                > be able to tell how large it really is.

                Well it was one of my first sphericals, a two-row done with an 11-18 zoom
                and my old KiWi-L. You can see it at
                http://panoramy.zbooy.pl/360/pan/kopiec-balkon/e
                Actually I have worked in this fort for a few years and this is the view
                from a balcony outside my room.

                >> BTW, I'm doing 120 deg rotations for just three images (the famous
                >> 5D/10.5
                >> combo).
                > You might want more coverage than that when you're doing pole panos to
                > make your stitching easier with a larger overlap.

                This would give me one more (possibly problematic) seam though :-(
                I wonder if using 3 or 4 images makes a difference in sharpness. Has anyone
                tested this?

                zbooy
              • Pat Swovelin
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
                  Szymon "Zbooy" Madej wrote:

                  > Pat Swovelin-2 wrote:
                  >> you should, IMHO, shoot a pano from the fort to show how
                  >> massive the mound is. It's size and especially height are lost in your
                  >> pano because everything "falls away" from you in the pano whereas in a
                  >> shot from the fort you'd be able to see it in context with the fort and
                  >> be able to tell how large it really is.
                  >>

                  > Well it was one of my first sphericals, a two-row done with an 11-18 zoom
                  > and my old KiWi-L. You can see it at
                  > http://panoramy.zbooy.pl/360/pan/kopiec-balkon/e

                  That puts it into context. Thanks. Are you one of the people inside?

                  > Actually I have worked in this fort for a few years and this is the view
                  > from a balcony outside my room.

                  What do you mean "worked?" Are you a prisoner in the dungeon or what?
                  Do you want me to send you a hacksaw so you can escape? =8^)

                  >>> BTW, I'm doing 120 deg rotations for just three images (the famous
                  >>> 5D/10.5
                  >>> combo).
                  >> You might want more coverage than that when you're doing pole panos to
                  >> make your stitching easier with a larger overlap.
                  >>

                  > This would give me one more (possibly problematic) seam though :-(

                  Most people I know shoot 6 around on a monopod if their normal is 4 on a
                  tripod to give them better coverage especially if their pole has a
                  tendency to sway or there's movement in the shot (e.g., people, cars,
                  etc.)..

                  > I wonder if using 3 or 4 images makes a difference in sharpness. Has
                  > anyone
                  > tested this?

                  With respect to the number of images you shoot around (3 or 4) the
                  sharpness isn't a factor of how many shots you used per se, rather it's
                  a factor of the body/lens combination you used.

                  > zbooy

                  Pat Swovelin
                  Cool Guy @ Large
                • Robert C. Fisher
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
                    On Feb 1, 2007, at 3:11 PM, Szymon Zbooy Madej wrote:

                    > Pat Swovelin-2 wrote:
                    > >
                    > > you should, IMHO, shoot a pano from the fort to show how
                    > > massive the mound is. It's size and especially height are lost in
                    > your
                    > > pano because everything "falls away" from you in the pano whereas
                    > in a
                    > > shot from the fort you'd be able to see it in context with the
                    > fort and
                    > > be able to tell how large it really is.
                    > >

                    > Well it was one of my first sphericals, a two-row done with an
                    > 11-18 zoom
                    > and my old KiWi-L. You can see it at
                    > http://panoramy.zbooy.pl/360/pan/kopiec-balkon/e
                    > Actually I have worked in this fort for a few years and this is the
                    > view
                    > from a balcony outside my room.
                    >
                    > >> BTW, I'm doing 120 deg rotations for just three images (the famous
                    > >> 5D/10.5
                    > >> combo).
                    > > You might want more coverage than that when you're doing pole
                    > panos to
                    > > make your stitching easier with a larger overlap.
                    > >

                    > This would give me one more (possibly problematic) seam though :-(
                    > I wonder if using 3 or 4 images makes a difference in sharpness.
                    > Has anyone
                    > tested this?
                    It would give you more overlap and you would be able to get rid of
                    some of the Chromatic aberrations on the edge of the lens. You can
                    also use the app you use to convert from raw to tiffs to eliminate
                    the CA. Photoshop CS2's raw converter does this pretty well. I think
                    DXO and some others do this as well.

                    What size were the cube faces of your QTVR version? The image looks
                    nice and sharp, some softness at the blends due to CA but it's not
                    too bad.

                    > zbooy
                    > --

                    Cheers
                    Robert C. Fisher
                    VR Photography/Cinematography
                  • Roger D. Williams
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
                      On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 23:13:20 +0900, Szymon "Zbooy" Madej
                      <panoramy@...> wrote:

                      > Hello everyone,
                      >
                      > As I have proudly joined the rank of pole-panoramists, here comes my
                      > first
                      > pole image:
                      > http://panoramy.zbooy.pl/360/pan/kopiec-kosciuszki-pod-szczytem-maszt/e
                      >
                      > Delivery of Agnos pole from Italy to Poland took just 4 days but due to
                      > very
                      > windy weather I had to wait another week or so to make some use of it.
                      > Balancing $3K of delicate equipment 6 meters above the ground still
                      > gives me
                      > lots of adrenaline :-)

                      It's a very fine panorama and no-one would guess it was a first attempt!

                      Two things: (1) the image seems VERY sensitive to slight mouse/cursor
                      movements, whizzing around at great speed. (2) It seems to go in the
                      opposite direction to normal. So the result was very suprising...
                      instead of moving slowly to the left the image shot off to the right.
                      Is this just me?

                      Roger

                      --
                      Work: www.adex-japan.com
                      Play: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
                        Roger D. Williams wrote:
                        > On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 23:13:20 +0900, Szymon "Zbooy" Madej
                        > <panoramy@...> wrote:
                        >
                        >> Hello everyone,
                        >>
                        >> As I have proudly joined the rank of pole-panoramists, here comes my
                        >> first
                        >> pole image:
                        >> http://panoramy.zbooy.pl/360/pan/kopiec-kosciuszki-pod-szczytem-maszt/e
                        >>
                        >> Delivery of Agnos pole from Italy to Poland took just 4 days but due to
                        >> very
                        >> windy weather I had to wait another week or so to make some use of it.
                        >> Balancing $3K of delicate equipment 6 meters above the ground still
                        >> gives me
                        >> lots of adrenaline :-)
                        >
                        > It's a very fine panorama and no-one would guess it was a first attempt!
                        >
                        > Two things: (1) the image seems VERY sensitive to slight mouse/cursor
                        > movements, whizzing around at great speed. (2) It seems to go in the
                        > opposite direction to normal. So the result was very suprising...
                        > instead of moving slowly to the left the image shot off to the right.
                        > Is this just me?

                        It's just you. I checked it in Opera (because that's what you use) and
                        the DevalVR version works as expected.

                        > Roger

                        Pat Swovelin
                        Cool Guy @ Large
                      • PanoToolsNG.10.m8@spamgourmet.com
                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
                          No problems here either.
                          Some day I'm going to have to try out Opera's mail offering.

                          Darren.

                          )> <panoramy@... <mailto:panoramy%40zbooy.pl> > wrote:
                          )>> Hello everyone,
                          )>> As I have proudly joined the rank of pole-panoramists, here
                          )comes my
                          )>> first pole image:
                          )http://panoramy.zbooy.pl/360/pan/kopiec-kosciuszki-pod-szczytem-maszt
                          )>> /e
                          )<http://panoramy.zbooy.pl/360/pan/kopiec-kosciuszki-pod-szczytem-masz
                          )>> t/e>
                          )> It's a very fine panorama and no-one would guess it was a
                          )first attempt!
                          )>
                          )
                          )It's just you. I checked it in Opera (because that's what you
                          )use) and the DevalVR version works as expected.
                          )
                          )> Roger
                          )
                          )Pat Swovelin
                          )Cool Guy @ Large
                          )

                          17:02
                        • Roger D. Williams
                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
                            Thanks, Pat. Good to know. Puzzling, though... <frown>

                            Roger

                            Message 13 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
                              PanoToolsNG.10.m8@... wrote:
                              > No problems here either.
                              > Some day I'm going to have to try out Opera's mail offering.

                              Check out Thunderbird.

                              > Darren.

                              Pat Swovelin
                              Cool Guy @ Large
                            • Roger D. Williams
                              Message 14 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
                                On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 14:20:26 +0900, Pat Swovelin <Panoramas@...>
                                wrote:

                                > PanoToolsNG.10.m8@... wrote:
                                >> No problems here either.
                                >> Some day I'm going to have to try out Opera's mail offering.
                                >
                                > Check out Thunderbird.

                                No, I am afraid I am addicted to Opera's mail client. The browser
                                is almost not worth the trouble and I frequently have to use
                                Firefox, but it's the mail client that chains me to it. There is
                                nothing else as good. For me, anyway...

                                Roger

                                Message 15 of 20 , Feb 2, 2007
                                  )wrote:
                                  )
                                  )> PanoToolsNG.10.m8@s...> wrote:
                                  )>> No problems here either.
                                  )>> Some day I'm going to have to try out Opera's mail offering.
                                  )>
                                  )> Check out Thunderbird.
                                  )
                                  )No, I am afraid I am addicted to Opera's mail client. The
                                  )browser is almost not worth the trouble and I frequently have
                                  )to use Firefox, but it's the mail client that chains me to it.
                                  )There is nothing else as good. For me, anyway...
                                  )
                                  )Roger

                                  That's funny.
                                  I nearly use Opera exclusively for browsing.
                                  (unfortunately, I'm often forced to get Opera to pretend I'm using a
                                  different browser so those websites will serve me the information that I
                                  want to view.)

                                  Darren.

                                  17:02
                                • Szymon "Zbooy" Madej
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Feb 2, 2007
                                    Pat Swovelin-2 wrote:

                                    > That puts it into context. Thanks. Are you one of the people inside?

                                    Sure I am :-)
                                    And I made one more pano inside yesterday afternoon, testing 5D/10.5 combo's
                                    ability to shoot close-to-the-subject images. 3 around seems to be enough
                                    for this kind of work. The resulting pano is right there at
                                    http://panoramy.zbooy.pl/360/

                                    >> Actually I have worked in this fort for a few years and this is the view
                                    >> from a balcony outside my room.
                                    >
                                    > What do you mean "worked?" Are you a prisoner in the dungeon or what?
                                    > Do you want me to send you a hacksaw so you can escape? =8^)

                                    Thanks but now I can use my new pole and either slide down from my balcony
                                    fireman-style or make a pole-vault straight to the mound :-)

                                    Part of the fort has been for 15+ years adapted by the RMF FM radio station,
                                    the biggest commercial one in Poland, and it's them that make me able to
                                    afford my pano hobby.
                                    And part of the dungeons were converted to a recording studio :-)

                                    > With respect to the number of images you shoot around (3 or 4) the
                                    > sharpness isn't a factor of how many shots you used per se, rather it's
                                    > a factor of the body/lens combination you used.

                                    Right.... unless the seam area comes from the lesser-quality area of both
                                    images. Sharpness might suffer then.

                                    zbooy

                                  • Szymon "Zbooy" Madej
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Feb 2, 2007
                                      Juergen Schrader wrote:

                                      > Good Work, Szymon.
                                      > (I've already been waiting for somone doing this in Poleland *g*).

                                      *LOL*
                                      Thanks, Juergen, but I have way to go yet to be able to make such stunning
                                      images as your zeppelin one.

                                      > I also enjoyed the ones from the Tatry. A place I always wanted to visit.
                                      > Maybe next summer ...

                                      Contact me if you do, we might meet there for a bit of pano shooting, beer
                                      drinking or whatever :-)

                                      zbooy

                                    • Szymon "Zbooy" Madej
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Feb 2, 2007
                                        > What size were the cube faces of your QTVR version? The image looks
                                        > nice and sharp, some softness at the blends due to CA but it's not
                                        > too bad.

                                        AFAIR, the equirect was 6600x3300 px and the cube face size was ~1650 px
                                        square.

                                        The CA effects are most apparent in the nadir region as it's the area made
                                        entirely of image circle peripherals.

                                        zbooy

                                      • Roger D. Williams
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Feb 4, 2007
                                          On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 18:44:28 +0900, <PanoToolsNG.10.m8@...>
                                          wrote:

> [...]

                                          Ah, that may be the trick I should use. For a time I was telling the world
                                          that Opera was Microsoft IE, but that didn't help very much, so I kind of
                                          gave up on that feature. What do YOU pretend it to be?

                                          Roger

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Feb 5, 2007
                                            Here's another panorama I made yesterday:
                                            http://panoramy.zbooy.pl/360/pan/bielany-wejscie-maszt/e
                                            Nothing special as the lighting was rather poor. This time I made 4 shots
                                            around though and was looking up at the camera to minimize parallax. I also
                                            used enblend 3.0 and only had to do a little nadir patching, the rest was
                                            just fine straight out of PTGui.

                                            zbooy