Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Good QTVR compresion ratio and pano size settings for 56 K modem visitors

  • Flemming V. Larsen
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 1, 2007
      From: "Hans Nyberg"
      ----snip-------
      > Time has changed and even if you are on dialup you have got used to the
      > large downloads.
      >
      > Hans

      Hi Hans,
      I can agree with you to some point, but I don't think the visitors behavior
      at panoramas.dk can be used as a measure point.
      I guess most people visiting your pages know what they want and what they
      can expect to get - so they don't care for the waiting time.
      On other sites (like hotel-booking etc) the panoramas are just a small part,
      so the vistors has other purposes and may not be so patient.

      - Flemming
    • Hans Nyberg
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 1, 2007
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "dalileis" <qtvrbiro@...> wrote:

        > The reason I inquired about this is that besides future clients in
        > Sweden, I also have people interested in my panos in Croatia, and
        > there are still some modem users there.

        Well my stats for Croatia only has 784 visitors for January but Dialup is much lower than
        average, only 5,84%
        In this case these 46 visitors had only 1,85 p/v and the ADSL had 2.76

        Also, I've experienced people
        > with broadband connection, that actually left the page in loading,
        > because it did not load immediately, and I mean immediately. The pano
        > was about 2 MB, and took about 3-4 secs to load, and they actually
        > commented that: "It's opening kinda slow." To which I replied: "Well,
        > it's not your usual image, this, you know."

        Forget about this kind of visitors. They are not worth doing anything for as they have no
        interest in seeing anything.

        > "Hey, if this 2 MB fullscreen pano, loading completely in under 4
        > seconds on this broadband connection makes the client comment like
        > that, then, what are the 56 kB users saying/thinking/doing?" when it's
        > that little x in the upper, right corner.

        As I understand you use DevalVR you have the same advantage as for Quicktime.
        a 56K modem.
        Its one of the most important features for a viewer and only DevalVR and Quicktime takes
        the full advantages of it and loads exactly the same way.

        > Seems there is a whole other psychological aspect to it, as it is
        > surprising and a news to me the info you're bringing about the best
        > visitors for panoramas.dk in many cases being dialup users, which
        > actually look at more pages than others. Didn't expect that. Sounds
        > excellent though, and I'll actually take freedom of quoting you on
        > that in future. ;)

        There is a lot of Cultural differences which make some countries more interested.
        I am not just talking about language.

        Lets say that some people are more curious than others.

        Hans
      • Hans Nyberg
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 1, 2007
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Flemming V. Larsen" <fvl@...> wrote:

          > I can agree with you to some point, but I don't think the visitors behavior
          > at panoramas.dk can be used as a measure point.
          > I guess most people visiting your pages know what they want and what they
          > can expect to get - so they don't care for the waiting time.
          > On other sites (like hotel-booking etc) the panoramas are just a small part,
          > so the vistors has other purposes and may not be so patient.

          Actually most visitors comes from Google and Yahoo and have no idea what they are
          The Google visitors who most arrive on searches like Mt Everest, Eiffel Tower, New Years
          Eve or First man on the Moon have more pageviews per visitor ( in Jan 2.92% ) than the
          average 2.69.

          Of course there is a lot of them leaving at once either beacuse of no Quicktime (30%) or
          because they perhaps click on an Ad or just are not interested.
          Usually about 50-65% leave the entry page if it is a fullscreen.
          I have 30% leaving the Startpage without seeing anything else.

          However if I can get just 10% of these visitors interested in seeing more and return I think
          it is a success.

          Whats wrong with the Hotel Tours is usually that they are hidden away both from Google
          and the visitors who arrive on the main website.
          The panorama tour should be an entry page like the startpage or any other page.
          Webdesigners do not understand this.
          Each panorama is a valuable ad which should be used just as an ad in Google or on
          another site. Individually optimized they are very valuable.

          Hans
        • John Riley
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 1, 2007
            Honestly, I don't make a size particularly for modem users. Plus, it
            is fairly subjective what parameters you push which way. You can
            play with face size and compression; face size has the biggest impact
            and I usually just adjust the size of the faces until I get the size
            in MB I am targeting. If you have a movie you want to check for
            download time, I would be happy to give it a run through deliVRator
            for you 8-)

            John Riley
            johnriley@...
            jriley@...

          • PanoToolsNG.10.m8@spamgourmet.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 1, 2007
              ...umm...

              PTViewer can do that too, can't it?
              Using ptv or ptvref files allows the tiles immediately in front of the
              viewer to load first, regardless of where you set the initial view and also
              dynamically changes if you shift your view before the entire pano is loaded.

              Question regarding qtvr: Can one change the initial view of the qtvr and
              have the facing tiles load first without having to repack the qtvr?

              Cheers,
              Darren.

              )<mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com> , "dalileis"
              )<qtvrbiro@...> wrote:
              )
              )>
              )
              )As I understand you use DevalVR you have the same advantage as
              )for Quicktime.
              )almost instantly even with a 56K modem.
              )Its one of the most important features for a viewer and only
              )DevalVR and Quicktime takes the full advantages of it and
              )loads exactly the same way.
              )

              17:02