Re: Good QTVR compresion ratio and pano size settings for 56 K modem visitors

  • dalileis
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 1, 2007
      Point taken. The statistics you're sharing are extremely useful and
      good to have, thanks for those!

      The reason I inquired about this is that besides future clients in
      Sweden, I also have people interested in my panos in Croatia, and
      there are still some modem users there. Also, I've experienced people
      with broadband connection, that actually left the page in loading,
      because it did not load immediately, and I mean immediately. The pano
      was about 2 MB, and took about 3-4 secs to load, and they actually
      commented that: "It's opening kinda slow." To which I replied: "Well,
      it's not your usual image, this, you know." But for myself I thought:
      "Hey, if this 2 MB fullscreen pano, loading completely in under 4
      seconds on this broadband connection makes the client comment like
      that, then, what are the 56 kB users saying/thinking/doing?" when it's
      that little x in the upper, right corner.

      However, you stats paint a completely different picture, and the
      Expressen and Aftobladet indeed do have some heavy pages for 56 kB
      people, still 1 MB is understandable for Sweden and 400-600 K is also
      reasonable size for international audience. But there is a notable
      difference in experience of loading a 2 MB page as opposed to 400-600
      K for 56kB modem users, anyways, isn't there?

      Seems there is a whole other psychological aspect to it, as it is
      surprising and a news to me the info you're bringing about the best
      visitors for panoramas.dk in many cases being dialup users, which
      actually look at more pages than others. Didn't expect that. Sounds
      excellent though, and I'll actually take freedom of quoting you on
      that in future. ;)

      Ha det!

      Regards,

      Dalileis
    • Flemming V. Larsen
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 1, 2007
        From: "Hans Nyberg"
        ----snip-------
        > Time has changed and even if you are on dialup you have got used to the
        > large downloads.
        >
        > Hans

        Hi Hans,
        I can agree with you to some point, but I don't think the visitors behavior
        at panoramas.dk can be used as a measure point.
        I guess most people visiting your pages know what they want and what they
        can expect to get - so they don't care for the waiting time.
        On other sites (like hotel-booking etc) the panoramas are just a small part,
        so the vistors has other purposes and may not be so patient.

        - Flemming
      • Hans Nyberg
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 1, 2007
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "dalileis" <qtvrbiro@...> wrote:

          > The reason I inquired about this is that besides future clients in
          > Sweden, I also have people interested in my panos in Croatia, and
          > there are still some modem users there.

          Well my stats for Croatia only has 784 visitors for January but Dialup is much lower than
          average, only 5,84%
          In this case these 46 visitors had only 1,85 p/v and the ADSL had 2.76

          Also, I've experienced people
          > with broadband connection, that actually left the page in loading,
          > because it did not load immediately, and I mean immediately. The pano
          > was about 2 MB, and took about 3-4 secs to load, and they actually
          > commented that: "It's opening kinda slow." To which I replied: "Well,
          > it's not your usual image, this, you know."

          Forget about this kind of visitors. They are not worth doing anything for as they have no
          interest in seeing anything.

          > "Hey, if this 2 MB fullscreen pano, loading completely in under 4
          > seconds on this broadband connection makes the client comment like
          > that, then, what are the 56 kB users saying/thinking/doing?" when it's
          > that little x in the upper, right corner.

          As I understand you use DevalVR you have the same advantage as for Quicktime.
          a 56K modem.
          Its one of the most important features for a viewer and only DevalVR and Quicktime takes
          the full advantages of it and loads exactly the same way.

          > Seems there is a whole other psychological aspect to it, as it is
          > surprising and a news to me the info you're bringing about the best
          > visitors for panoramas.dk in many cases being dialup users, which
          > actually look at more pages than others. Didn't expect that. Sounds
          > excellent though, and I'll actually take freedom of quoting you on
          > that in future. ;)

          There is a lot of Cultural differences which make some countries more interested.
          I am not just talking about language.

          Lets say that some people are more curious than others.

          Hans
        • Hans Nyberg
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 1, 2007
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Flemming V. Larsen" <fvl@...> wrote:

            > I can agree with you to some point, but I don't think the visitors behavior
            > at panoramas.dk can be used as a measure point.
            > I guess most people visiting your pages know what they want and what they
            > can expect to get - so they don't care for the waiting time.
            > On other sites (like hotel-booking etc) the panoramas are just a small part,
            > so the vistors has other purposes and may not be so patient.

            Actually most visitors comes from Google and Yahoo and have no idea what they are
            The Google visitors who most arrive on searches like Mt Everest, Eiffel Tower, New Years
            Eve or First man on the Moon have more pageviews per visitor ( in Jan 2.92% ) than the
            average 2.69.

            Of course there is a lot of them leaving at once either beacuse of no Quicktime (30%) or
            because they perhaps click on an Ad or just are not interested.
            Usually about 50-65% leave the entry page if it is a fullscreen.
            I have 30% leaving the Startpage without seeing anything else.

            However if I can get just 10% of these visitors interested in seeing more and return I think
            it is a success.

            Whats wrong with the Hotel Tours is usually that they are hidden away both from Google
            and the visitors who arrive on the main website.
            The panorama tour should be an entry page like the startpage or any other page.
            Webdesigners do not understand this.
            Each panorama is a valuable ad which should be used just as an ad in Google or on
            another site. Individually optimized they are very valuable.

            Hans
          • John Riley
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 1, 2007
              Honestly, I don't make a size particularly for modem users. Plus, it
              is fairly subjective what parameters you push which way. You can
              play with face size and compression; face size has the biggest impact
              and I usually just adjust the size of the faces until I get the size
              in MB I am targeting. If you have a movie you want to check for
              download time, I would be happy to give it a run through deliVRator
              for you 8-)

              John Riley
              johnriley@...
              jriley@...

            • PanoToolsNG.10.m8@spamgourmet.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 1, 2007
                ...umm...

                PTViewer can do that too, can't it?
                Using ptv or ptvref files allows the tiles immediately in front of the
                viewer to load first, regardless of where you set the initial view and also
                dynamically changes if you shift your view before the entire pano is loaded.

                Question regarding qtvr: Can one change the initial view of the qtvr and
                have the facing tiles load first without having to repack the qtvr?

                Cheers,
                Darren.

                )<mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com> , "dalileis"
                )<qtvrbiro@...> wrote:
                )
                )>
                )
                )As I understand you use DevalVR you have the same advantage as
                )for Quicktime.
                )almost instantly even with a 56K modem.
                )Its one of the most important features for a viewer and only
                )DevalVR and Quicktime takes the full advantages of it and
                )loads exactly the same way.
                )

                17:02