Re: Good QTVR compresion ratio and pano size settings for 56 K modem visitors

  • Hans Nyberg
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 1, 2007
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "dalileis" <qtvrbiro@...> wrote:

      > Fullscreen panos at about 2 MB take forever to open with 56 kB modem,
      > obviously.
      >
      > So what are the optimum settings for QTVR compression and the size of
      > the source pano aimed for showing beautiful QTVRs to 56 kB modem users?
      >
      > Trying to figure this one out is kinda hard without being able to test
      > it right away, finding a 56 kB modem user in Sweden is not that easy,
      > believe you me. Any experience with, or knowledge about this, someone?

      Why do you want to do a special version for them.
      As you say it is hard to find a modem user in Sweden.

      Unless your target is Spain, Slovenia or Germany there are very few dialups left.
      My average for January among 600.000 visitors worldwide is only 8%

      Something else is, why do you believe that you do not want to wait for fullscreen if you are
      on Dialup.
      My best visitors are from Spain, France, Italy and Germany. The dialup visitors have
      almost the same pageviews as the ADSL.
      Most of my visitors arrive directly to fullscreens.
      In many cases the dialups actually looks at more pages.

      For example the French I have right now.
      They are looking at more than any visitors I had before.
      Average is 7.76 for ADSL and 8.58 for the dialup visitors.

      If I look at all visitors in January the dialup had 2.6 pageviews. The ADSL/Cable 2.74

      The idea that you do not want to wait for the large files if you are on Dialup comes from us
      who has high speed connection and can not undestand how we managed before.

      Have you ever tried to see the sizes of the largest News sites.
      I have. In Sweden Aftonbladet and Expressen are around 1 mb download for the main
      page.
      CNN and most other International News sites are 400-600 kb.
      Time has changed and even if you are on dialup you have got used to the large downloads.

      Hans
    • dalileis
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 1, 2007
        Point taken. The statistics you're sharing are extremely useful and
        good to have, thanks for those!

        The reason I inquired about this is that besides future clients in
        Sweden, I also have people interested in my panos in Croatia, and
        there are still some modem users there. Also, I've experienced people
        with broadband connection, that actually left the page in loading,
        because it did not load immediately, and I mean immediately. The pano
        was about 2 MB, and took about 3-4 secs to load, and they actually
        commented that: "It's opening kinda slow." To which I replied: "Well,
        it's not your usual image, this, you know." But for myself I thought:
        "Hey, if this 2 MB fullscreen pano, loading completely in under 4
        seconds on this broadband connection makes the client comment like
        that, then, what are the 56 kB users saying/thinking/doing?" when it's
        that little x in the upper, right corner.

        However, you stats paint a completely different picture, and the
        Expressen and Aftobladet indeed do have some heavy pages for 56 kB
        people, still 1 MB is understandable for Sweden and 400-600 K is also
        reasonable size for international audience. But there is a notable
        difference in experience of loading a 2 MB page as opposed to 400-600
        K for 56kB modem users, anyways, isn't there?

        Seems there is a whole other psychological aspect to it, as it is
        surprising and a news to me the info you're bringing about the best
        visitors for panoramas.dk in many cases being dialup users, which
        actually look at more pages than others. Didn't expect that. Sounds
        excellent though, and I'll actually take freedom of quoting you on
        that in future. ;)

        Ha det!

        Regards,

        Dalileis
      • Flemming V. Larsen
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 1, 2007
          From: "Hans Nyberg"
          ----snip-------
          > Time has changed and even if you are on dialup you have got used to the
          > large downloads.
          >
          > Hans

          Hi Hans,
          I can agree with you to some point, but I don't think the visitors behavior
          at panoramas.dk can be used as a measure point.
          I guess most people visiting your pages know what they want and what they
          can expect to get - so they don't care for the waiting time.
          On other sites (like hotel-booking etc) the panoramas are just a small part,
          so the vistors has other purposes and may not be so patient.

          - Flemming
        • Hans Nyberg
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 1, 2007
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "dalileis" <qtvrbiro@...> wrote:

            > The reason I inquired about this is that besides future clients in
            > Sweden, I also have people interested in my panos in Croatia, and
            > there are still some modem users there.

            Well my stats for Croatia only has 784 visitors for January but Dialup is much lower than
            average, only 5,84%
            In this case these 46 visitors had only 1,85 p/v and the ADSL had 2.76

            Also, I've experienced people
            > with broadband connection, that actually left the page in loading,
            > because it did not load immediately, and I mean immediately. The pano
            > was about 2 MB, and took about 3-4 secs to load, and they actually
            > commented that: "It's opening kinda slow." To which I replied: "Well,
            > it's not your usual image, this, you know."

            Forget about this kind of visitors. They are not worth doing anything for as they have no
            interest in seeing anything.

            > "Hey, if this 2 MB fullscreen pano, loading completely in under 4
            > seconds on this broadband connection makes the client comment like
            > that, then, what are the 56 kB users saying/thinking/doing?" when it's
            > that little x in the upper, right corner.

            As I understand you use DevalVR you have the same advantage as for Quicktime.
            a 56K modem.
            Its one of the most important features for a viewer and only DevalVR and Quicktime takes
            the full advantages of it and loads exactly the same way.

            > Seems there is a whole other psychological aspect to it, as it is
            > surprising and a news to me the info you're bringing about the best
            > visitors for panoramas.dk in many cases being dialup users, which
            > actually look at more pages than others. Didn't expect that. Sounds
            > excellent though, and I'll actually take freedom of quoting you on
            > that in future. ;)

            There is a lot of Cultural differences which make some countries more interested.
            I am not just talking about language.

            Lets say that some people are more curious than others.

            Hans
          • Hans Nyberg
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 1, 2007
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Flemming V. Larsen" <fvl@...> wrote:

              > I can agree with you to some point, but I don't think the visitors behavior
              > at panoramas.dk can be used as a measure point.
              > I guess most people visiting your pages know what they want and what they
              > can expect to get - so they don't care for the waiting time.
              > On other sites (like hotel-booking etc) the panoramas are just a small part,
              > so the vistors has other purposes and may not be so patient.

              Actually most visitors comes from Google and Yahoo and have no idea what they are
              The Google visitors who most arrive on searches like Mt Everest, Eiffel Tower, New Years
              Eve or First man on the Moon have more pageviews per visitor ( in Jan 2.92% ) than the
              average 2.69.

              Of course there is a lot of them leaving at once either beacuse of no Quicktime (30%) or
              because they perhaps click on an Ad or just are not interested.
              Usually about 50-65% leave the entry page if it is a fullscreen.
              I have 30% leaving the Startpage without seeing anything else.

              However if I can get just 10% of these visitors interested in seeing more and return I think
              it is a success.

              Whats wrong with the Hotel Tours is usually that they are hidden away both from Google
              and the visitors who arrive on the main website.
              The panorama tour should be an entry page like the startpage or any other page.
              Webdesigners do not understand this.
              Each panorama is a valuable ad which should be used just as an ad in Google or on
              another site. Individually optimized they are very valuable.

              Hans
            • John Riley
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 1, 2007
                Honestly, I don't make a size particularly for modem users. Plus, it
                is fairly subjective what parameters you push which way. You can
                play with face size and compression; face size has the biggest impact
                and I usually just adjust the size of the faces until I get the size
                in MB I am targeting. If you have a movie you want to check for
                download time, I would be happy to give it a run through deliVRator
                for you 8-)

                John Riley
                johnriley@...
                jriley@...

              • PanoToolsNG.10.m8@spamgourmet.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 1, 2007
                  ...umm...

                  PTViewer can do that too, can't it?
                  Using ptv or ptvref files allows the tiles immediately in front of the
                  viewer to load first, regardless of where you set the initial view and also
                  dynamically changes if you shift your view before the entire pano is loaded.

                  Question regarding qtvr: Can one change the initial view of the qtvr and
                  have the facing tiles load first without having to repack the qtvr?

                  Cheers,
                  Darren.

                  )<mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com> , "dalileis"
                  )<qtvrbiro@...> wrote:
                  )
                  )>
                  )
                  )As I understand you use DevalVR you have the same advantage as
                  )for Quicktime.
                  )almost instantly even with a 56K modem.
                  )Its one of the most important features for a viewer and only
                  )DevalVR and Quicktime takes the full advantages of it and
                  )loads exactly the same way.
                  )

                  17:02