Re: Good QTVR compresion ratio and pano size settings for 56 K modem visitors

  • William Donelson
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 1, 2007
      On our newer virtual tour websites, we are using "small", "medium" and "large" panos, for
      example on our

      Explore St Paul's Cathedral http://www.explore-stpauls.net

      Explore Kew Gardens http://www.explore-kew-gardens.net

      The small pano size has a target weight of 90k - 100k bytes, the medium is about 250k -
      300k bytes, and the large is about 1 M byte.

      That way, dialup visitors have a choice of viewing sooner or later.

      Regards,
      William Donelson

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "dalileis" <qtvrbiro@...> wrote:

      > Hi group,
      >
      > Fullscreen panos at about 2 MB take forever to open with 56 kB modem,
      > obviously.
      >
      > So what are the optimum settings for QTVR compression and the size of
      > the source pano aimed for showing beautiful QTVRs to 56 kB modem users?
      >
      > Trying to figure this one out is kinda hard without being able to test
      > it right away, finding a 56 kB modem user in Sweden is not that easy,
      > believe you me. Any experience with, or knowledge about this, someone?
      >
      > Big thanks ahead for any help or advice!
      >
      > Best,
      >
      > Dalileis

    • dalileis
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 1, 2007
        Great, thanks. Think I'll go for the 250 k - 300 k version. If you
        don't mind, what is the size of the source pano you made this from, so
        that the sharpness and the quality are kept at the optimum level?
        Which compression did you use?

        Best,

        Dalileis
      • Hans Nyberg
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 1, 2007
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "dalileis" <qtvrbiro@...> wrote:

          > Fullscreen panos at about 2 MB take forever to open with 56 kB modem,
          > obviously.
          >
          > So what are the optimum settings for QTVR compression and the size of
          > the source pano aimed for showing beautiful QTVRs to 56 kB modem users?
          >
          > Trying to figure this one out is kinda hard without being able to test
          > it right away, finding a 56 kB modem user in Sweden is not that easy,
          > believe you me. Any experience with, or knowledge about this, someone?

          Why do you want to do a special version for them.
          As you say it is hard to find a modem user in Sweden.

          Unless your target is Spain, Slovenia or Germany there are very few dialups left.
          My average for January among 600.000 visitors worldwide is only 8%

          Something else is, why do you believe that you do not want to wait for fullscreen if you are
          on Dialup.
          My best visitors are from Spain, France, Italy and Germany. The dialup visitors have
          almost the same pageviews as the ADSL.
          Most of my visitors arrive directly to fullscreens.
          In many cases the dialups actually looks at more pages.

          For example the French I have right now.
          They are looking at more than any visitors I had before.
          Average is 7.76 for ADSL and 8.58 for the dialup visitors.

          If I look at all visitors in January the dialup had 2.6 pageviews. The ADSL/Cable 2.74

          The idea that you do not want to wait for the large files if you are on Dialup comes from us
          who has high speed connection and can not undestand how we managed before.

          Have you ever tried to see the sizes of the largest News sites.
          I have. In Sweden Aftonbladet and Expressen are around 1 mb download for the main
          page.
          CNN and most other International News sites are 400-600 kb.
          Time has changed and even if you are on dialup you have got used to the large downloads.

          Hans
        • dalileis
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 1, 2007
            Point taken. The statistics you're sharing are extremely useful and
            good to have, thanks for those!

            The reason I inquired about this is that besides future clients in
            Sweden, I also have people interested in my panos in Croatia, and
            there are still some modem users there. Also, I've experienced people
            with broadband connection, that actually left the page in loading,
            because it did not load immediately, and I mean immediately. The pano
            was about 2 MB, and took about 3-4 secs to load, and they actually
            commented that: "It's opening kinda slow." To which I replied: "Well,
            it's not your usual image, this, you know." But for myself I thought:
            "Hey, if this 2 MB fullscreen pano, loading completely in under 4
            seconds on this broadband connection makes the client comment like
            that, then, what are the 56 kB users saying/thinking/doing?" when it's
            that little x in the upper, right corner.

            However, you stats paint a completely different picture, and the
            Expressen and Aftobladet indeed do have some heavy pages for 56 kB
            people, still 1 MB is understandable for Sweden and 400-600 K is also
            reasonable size for international audience. But there is a notable
            difference in experience of loading a 2 MB page as opposed to 400-600
            K for 56kB modem users, anyways, isn't there?

            Seems there is a whole other psychological aspect to it, as it is
            surprising and a news to me the info you're bringing about the best
            visitors for panoramas.dk in many cases being dialup users, which
            actually look at more pages than others. Didn't expect that. Sounds
            excellent though, and I'll actually take freedom of quoting you on
            that in future. ;)

            Ha det!

            Regards,

            Dalileis
          • Flemming V. Larsen
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 1, 2007
              From: "Hans Nyberg"
              ----snip-------
              > Time has changed and even if you are on dialup you have got used to the
              > large downloads.
              >
              > Hans

              Hi Hans,
              I can agree with you to some point, but I don't think the visitors behavior
              at panoramas.dk can be used as a measure point.
              I guess most people visiting your pages know what they want and what they
              can expect to get - so they don't care for the waiting time.
              On other sites (like hotel-booking etc) the panoramas are just a small part,
              so the vistors has other purposes and may not be so patient.

              - Flemming
            • Hans Nyberg
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 1, 2007
                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "dalileis" <qtvrbiro@...> wrote:

                > The reason I inquired about this is that besides future clients in
                > Sweden, I also have people interested in my panos in Croatia, and
                > there are still some modem users there.

                Well my stats for Croatia only has 784 visitors for January but Dialup is much lower than
                average, only 5,84%
                In this case these 46 visitors had only 1,85 p/v and the ADSL had 2.76

                Also, I've experienced people
                > with broadband connection, that actually left the page in loading,
                > because it did not load immediately, and I mean immediately. The pano
                > was about 2 MB, and took about 3-4 secs to load, and they actually
                > commented that: "It's opening kinda slow." To which I replied: "Well,
                > it's not your usual image, this, you know."

                Forget about this kind of visitors. They are not worth doing anything for as they have no
                interest in seeing anything.

                > "Hey, if this 2 MB fullscreen pano, loading completely in under 4
                > seconds on this broadband connection makes the client comment like
                > that, then, what are the 56 kB users saying/thinking/doing?" when it's
                > that little x in the upper, right corner.

                As I understand you use DevalVR you have the same advantage as for Quicktime.
                a 56K modem.
                Its one of the most important features for a viewer and only DevalVR and Quicktime takes
                the full advantages of it and loads exactly the same way.

                > Seems there is a whole other psychological aspect to it, as it is
                > surprising and a news to me the info you're bringing about the best
                > visitors for panoramas.dk in many cases being dialup users, which
                > actually look at more pages than others. Didn't expect that. Sounds
                > excellent though, and I'll actually take freedom of quoting you on
                > that in future. ;)

                There is a lot of Cultural differences which make some countries more interested.
                I am not just talking about language.

                Lets say that some people are more curious than others.

                Hans
              • Hans Nyberg
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 1, 2007
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Flemming V. Larsen" <fvl@...> wrote:

                  > I can agree with you to some point, but I don't think the visitors behavior
                  > at panoramas.dk can be used as a measure point.
                  > I guess most people visiting your pages know what they want and what they
                  > can expect to get - so they don't care for the waiting time.
                  > On other sites (like hotel-booking etc) the panoramas are just a small part,
                  > so the vistors has other purposes and may not be so patient.

                  Actually most visitors comes from Google and Yahoo and have no idea what they are
                  The Google visitors who most arrive on searches like Mt Everest, Eiffel Tower, New Years
                  Eve or First man on the Moon have more pageviews per visitor ( in Jan 2.92% ) than the
                  average 2.69.

                  Of course there is a lot of them leaving at once either beacuse of no Quicktime (30%) or
                  because they perhaps click on an Ad or just are not interested.
                  Usually about 50-65% leave the entry page if it is a fullscreen.
                  I have 30% leaving the Startpage without seeing anything else.

                  However if I can get just 10% of these visitors interested in seeing more and return I think
                  it is a success.

                  Whats wrong with the Hotel Tours is usually that they are hidden away both from Google
                  and the visitors who arrive on the main website.
                  The panorama tour should be an entry page like the startpage or any other page.
                  Webdesigners do not understand this.
                  Each panorama is a valuable ad which should be used just as an ad in Google or on
                  another site. Individually optimized they are very valuable.

                  Hans
                • John Riley
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 1, 2007
                    Honestly, I don't make a size particularly for modem users. Plus, it
                    is fairly subjective what parameters you push which way. You can
                    play with face size and compression; face size has the biggest impact
                    and I usually just adjust the size of the faces until I get the size
                    in MB I am targeting. If you have a movie you want to check for
                    download time, I would be happy to give it a run through deliVRator
                    for you 8-)

                    John Riley
                    johnriley@...
                    jriley@...

                  • PanoToolsNG.10.m8@spamgourmet.com
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 1, 2007
                      ...umm...

                      PTViewer can do that too, can't it?
                      Using ptv or ptvref files allows the tiles immediately in front of the
                      viewer to load first, regardless of where you set the initial view and also
                      dynamically changes if you shift your view before the entire pano is loaded.

                      Question regarding qtvr: Can one change the initial view of the qtvr and
                      have the facing tiles load first without having to repack the qtvr?

                      Cheers,
                      Darren.

                      )<mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com> , "dalileis"
                      )<qtvrbiro@...> wrote:
                      )
                      )>
                      )
                      )As I understand you use DevalVR you have the same advantage as
                      )for Quicktime.
                      )almost instantly even with a 56K modem.
                      )Its one of the most important features for a viewer and only
                      )DevalVR and Quicktime takes the full advantages of it and
                      )loads exactly the same way.
                      )

                      17:02