Introduction

  • Bob Feaver
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 30, 2007
      Hi All,

      I'm your newest member, Bob, from Parry Sound, Ontario, Canada.

      I made several quicktime.jpg.mov panoramas a couple of years back
      on an iMac G4. I'd like to make some more, every once in a while and
      thought this might be a good place to observe how others are doing it.

      I can see that the quality of the images has certainly gone up. Maybe
      I could start by asking what the best value software would be? I used
      QuicktimeVR 2 for the images I made but this freebie seems to have
      disappeared from the net. I have an iMac G5 now.

      Blue side up,
      Bob
    • listmail@mab3d.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 30, 2007
        On Jan 30, 2007, at 7:42 PM, Bob Feaver wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > I'm your newest member, Bob, from Parry Sound, Ontario, Canada.

        And a warm welcome from a little town called Toronto, Ontario,
        Canada! ;-)

        You'll find a planet full of receptive and helpful folks around here.

        > Maybe I could start by asking what the best value software would
        > be? I used
        > QuicktimeVR 2 for the images I made but this freebie seems to have
        > disappeared from the net. I have an iMac G5 now.

        For stitching images together to make panoramas or QTVRs, your best
        value (and overall choice, IMHO) is PTGui for OS X:
        http://www.ptgui.com/

        About $100 CDN - Very fast, accurate, and nearly automatic. Much of
        the "guesswork" of a few years ago is gone thanks to technical advances.

        Then, when you want to make QTVR files out of the stitched panos and
        optimize them and show them off to us here, go for CubicConverter:
        http://www.clickheredesign.com.au/cubicconverter/

        About $60 CDN - easy to use, and is simply the Mac standard for QTVR
        creation. You feed it your panoramic images from PTGui and you can
        make a high quality QTVR like folks here are showing off.

        If you would prefer to go "free" as in "free beer" then there is
        Hugin for stitching, which is open source and developing very nicely:
        http://hugin.sourceforge.net/

        Let us know when we can see your latest winter panos!

        -Mark
      • Bob Feaver
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 30, 2007
          OK, I'm downloading Hugins right now. Strange, I looked
          at this page this morning and didn't spot that it would do the
          job for me at the right price. I'll give it a shot, soon and let
          you know.

          Blue side up,
          Bob

          On 30-Jan-07, at 10:29 PM, listmail@... wrote:

          > On Jan 30, 2007, at 7:42 PM, Bob Feaver wrote:
          >
          > > Hi All,
          > >
          > > I'm your newest member, Bob, from Parry Sound, Ontario, Canada.
          >
          > And a warm welcome from a little town called Toronto, Ontario,
          > Canada! ;-)
          >
          > You'll find a planet full of receptive and helpful folks around here.
          >
          > > Maybe I could start by asking what the best value software would
          > > be? I used
          > > QuicktimeVR 2 for the images I made but this freebie seems to have
          > > disappeared from the net. I have an iMac G5 now.
          >
          > For stitching images together to make panoramas or QTVRs, your best
          > value (and overall choice, IMHO) is PTGui for OS X:
          > http://www.ptgui.com/
          >
          > About $100 CDN - Very fast, accurate, and nearly automatic. Much of
          > the "guesswork" of a few years ago is gone thanks to technical
          > advances.
          >
          > Then, when you want to make QTVR files out of the stitched panos and
          > optimize them and show them off to us here, go for CubicConverter:
          > http://www.clickheredesign.com.au/cubicconverter/
          >
          > About $60 CDN - easy to use, and is simply the Mac standard for QTVR
          > creation. You feed it your panoramic images from PTGui and you can
          > make a high quality QTVR like folks here are showing off.
          >
          > If you would prefer to go "free" as in "free beer" then there is
          > Hugin for stitching, which is open source and developing very nicely:
          > http://hugin.sourceforge.net/
          >
          > Let us know when we can see your latest winter panos!
          >
          > -Mark

        • Bob Feaver
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 30, 2007