Re: [PanoToolsNG] It's all gone

  • Kathy Wheeler
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 30, 2007
      On 31/01/2007, at 6:48 AM, Hans Nyberg wrote:
      > Some of you may remember me taking this panorama last summer
      > http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/moens-klint/fullscreen2.html

      Beautiful pano as usual Hans.

      > That panorama is now an historical document.
      > The cliff I am standing on here http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/
      > 360hangover.jpg is gone.

      I remember that one - scarey!

      > This weekend a landslide, largest in 50 years, destroyed this very
      > special landmark.
      >
      > The whole cliff is now lying 300 meters out in the sea.

      Well, as much as our human perception and time scales are so tiny we
      tend to think (or wish) the planet earth will never change, it's
      entire geological history is one of constant changes. Some over long
      time scales and some over short. Such is the natural course of
      geological events. Glad you were able to catch it at it's best :-)

      Cheers,
      KathyW.
    • crane@ukonline.co.uk
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 31, 2007
        Quoting Hans Nyberg <hans@...>:

        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Coffee" <groups@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Someone has to say it so let it be me...
        > >
        > > You could have been killed taking that panorama!!
        >
        > Actually I sent my client out on the cliff with the large tripod.
        >
        > Well trouth is that while I was packing from the first pano he went over to
        > this place with the
        > tripod. I could see him going out on the cliff setting up the tripod.
        >
        > You can imagine how that looked from the first pano
        > http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/moens-klint/fullscreen1.html
        >
        > This was the first of 6 panos and I started wonder if this would be my last
        > assignment.

        While taking panoramas on the cliffs of mohar I noticed when looking at the
        photos that me feet were not very firmly anchored in a grassy overhang. Also
        locals said that one day someone found a tripod on the cliff edge.

        regards

        michael crane

      • Flemming V. Larsen
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 31, 2007
          Limestone and clay isn't the most solid combination.
          Landslides are common at Møns Klint every year as you also can se from pano
          10 and down the list.
          http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/moens-klint/fullscreen10.html
          Allthough it doesn't use to be in this scale. But we've got a lot of rain
          here in Denmark this "pseudo-winter" - then a couple of days with frost
          making the water expand and things like this will happen.
          You can see a TV-clip here
          http://www.tv2regionerne.dk/reg2005/player.aspx?id=336946&r=3

          - Flemming
        • kahasdt
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 31, 2007

            > Some of you may remember me taking this panorama last summer
            > http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/moens-klint/fullscreen2.html
            >
            > That panorama is now an historical document.
            > The cliff I am standing on here
            http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/360hangover.jpg is gone.

            > This weekend a landslide, largest in 50 years, destroyed this very
            special landmark.

            > The whole cliff is now lying 300 meters out in the sea.
            > http://politiken.dk/indland/article235229.ece
            >
            > Hans

            Hello Hans,

            your panoramas are great! The places you choosed, the quality of the
            panoramas, the compession and also the way they are loading - simply
            GREAT!

            But I think you know that ;-)

            I'm doing panoramas for some day now, but never reached this quality.
            Would you share some information about your setup, processing and how
            you are doing panoramas 2 meters in front of a cliff?

            I think I have to find the places by myself :-(

            Greetings, KH
          • dalileis
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 1, 2007
              Couldn't agree more. There are good panos and there are beautiful
              panos and there are stunning panos even. And then there are Hans
              panos. Soul panos, I call them. Almost spiritual. QTVR evangelism,
              that is.

              Regards,

              Dalileis

              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "kahasdt" <karl-heinz.schuldt@...>
              wrote:

              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Hans Nyberg" <hans@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Some of you may remember me taking this panorama last summer
              > > http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/moens-klint/fullscreen2.html
              > >
              > > That panorama is now an historical document.
              > > The cliff I am standing on here
              > http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/360hangover.jpg is gone.
              > >
              > > This weekend a landslide, largest in 50 years, destroyed this very
              > special landmark.
              > >
              > > The whole cliff is now lying 300 meters out in the sea.
              > > http://politiken.dk/indland/article235229.ece
              > >
              > > Hans
              > >

              > Hello Hans,
              >
              > your panoramas are great! The places you choosed, the quality of the
              > panoramas, the compession and also the way they are loading - simply
              > GREAT!
              >
              > But I think you know that ;-)
              >
              > I'm doing panoramas for some day now, but never reached this quality.
              > Would you share some information about your setup, processing and how
              > you are doing panoramas 2 meters in front of a cliff?
              >
              > I think I have to find the places by myself :-(
              >
              > Greetings, KH

            • kahasdt
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 1, 2007
                wrote:

                > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Hans Nyberg" <hans@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Some of you may remember me taking this panorama last summer
                > > http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/moens-klint/fullscreen2.html
                > >
                > > That panorama is now an historical document.
                > > The cliff I am standing on here
                > http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/360hangover.jpg is gone.
                > >
                > > This weekend a landslide, largest in 50 years, destroyed this very
                > special landmark.
                > >
                > > The whole cliff is now lying 300 meters out in the sea.
                > > http://politiken.dk/indland/article235229.ece
                > >
                > > Hans
                > >

                > Hello Hans,
                >
                > your panoramas are great! The places you choosed, the quality of the
                > panoramas, the compession and also the way they are loading - simply
                > GREAT!
                >
                > But I think you know that ;-)
                >
                > I'm doing panoramas for some day now, but never reached this quality.
                > Would you share some information about your setup, processing and how
                > you are doing panoramas 2 meters in front of a cliff?
                >
                > I think I have to find the places by myself :-(
                >
                > Greetings, KH

                Hi there,

                o.k. o.k.

                I was so impressed by the panoram that I overlooked the jpg.
                I thought Hans is a fan of handheld panoramas ;-))

                Anyhow - after reading a little bit on Hans pages I'm still
                interessted in his workflow.

                Greetings, KH
              • udedomenico
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 4, 2007
                  Hans,

                  I know you have already posted some information on the techinque you
                  used to wonderfully shot these pics.
                  See:

                  However I would like to know:

                  1] How did you make it rotate on the axis>?
                  in the post you say:

                  "...Rotation just by using a string around the vertical pole. (weight
                  a couple of gr)..."

                  Thinking about it, I cannot figure out how, pulling a string you
                  managed to rotate the vertical pole, withouth having a sort of tie up
                  with the rotator (like keeping your hands on the rotator ...)

                  It's kind of against the lever laws... is it not?

                  what am I missing from your description?

                  2] How did you manage to remove the equipment from the pano? Just
                  photoshop retouching or you also used another pic taken from another
                  position and only then retouched?

                  Thanks
                  Umbi
                • Hans Nyberg
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 4, 2007
                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "udedomenico" <umberto_dedomenico@...>
                    wrote:
                    > I know you have already posted some information on the techinque you
                    > used to wonderfully shot these pics.
                    > See:
                    >
                    > However I would like to know:
                    >
                    > 1] How did you make it rotate on the axis>?
                    > in the post you say:
                    >
                    > "...Rotation just by using a string around the vertical pole. (weight
                    > a couple of gr)..."

                    This image should say it all.
                    http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/hanging-pole.jpg
                    Here is another image of the pole made at my tests
                    http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/horisontal-pole.jpg

                    Pulling the string rotates the hanging pole very easy as long as you make sure it hangs
                    vertical. As you can see the flag pole has to be pointed a little up as it bends because of
                    the weight.
                    Also the extension cable for the remote hade to be turned around CCW to be able to make
                    at least 3 turns. If I had a wireless remote I could easy make 10 360 degree turns

                    > 2] How did you manage to remove the equipment from the pano? Just
                    > photoshop retouching or you also used another pic taken from another
                    > position and only then retouched?

                    Different depending on the place.
                    In several I could hide behind a bush so it was just a few places I needed retouch.

                    In this one i had to take the pole in an move the tripods, than move it out again an take
                    an extra back image.
                    http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/moens-klint/fullscreen5.html

                    3 of them was made at -20 which covered also the nadir in 6 images.
                    The sky was taken from the edge and needed a lot of extra photoshop work.

                    This one was made with the shaved Nikkor 10,5 instead of the 15mm because the trees
                    was hanging over the edge and I had to get 180 degree vertical.
                    http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/moens-klint/fullscreen4.html

                    Hans
                  • udedomenico
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 5, 2007