Re: It's all gone

  • Hans Nyberg
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 30, 2007
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Coffee" <groups@...> wrote:

      > Someone has to say it so let it be me...
      >
      > You could have been killed taking that panorama!!

      Actually I sent my client out on the cliff with the large tripod.

      Well trouth is that while I was packing from the first pano he went over to this place with the
      tripod. I could see him going out on the cliff setting up the tripod.

      You can imagine how that looked from the first pano
      http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/moens-klint/fullscreen1.html

      This was the first of 6 panos and I started wonder if this would be my last assignment.

      Hans
    • Pat Swovelin
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 30, 2007
        Hans Nyberg wrote:
        > Some of you may remember me taking this panorama last summer
        > http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/moens-klint/fullscreen2.html
        >
        > That panorama is now an historical document.
        > The cliff I am standing on here
        > http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/360hangover.jpg is gone.
        >
        > This weekend a landslide, largest in 50 years, destroyed this very
        > special landmark.
        >
        > The whole cliff is now lying 300 meters out in the sea.
        > http://politiken.dk/indland/article235229.ece

        It's so fortunate you were able to shoot it when you did. Now, as you
        said, it's a historical document of things that once were and are no more.

        > Hans

        Pat Swovelin
        Cool Guy @ Large
      • Kathy Wheeler
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 30, 2007
          On 31/01/2007, at 6:48 AM, Hans Nyberg wrote:
          > Some of you may remember me taking this panorama last summer
          > http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/moens-klint/fullscreen2.html

          Beautiful pano as usual Hans.

          > That panorama is now an historical document.
          > The cliff I am standing on here http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/
          > 360hangover.jpg is gone.

          I remember that one - scarey!

          > This weekend a landslide, largest in 50 years, destroyed this very
          > special landmark.
          >
          > The whole cliff is now lying 300 meters out in the sea.

          Well, as much as our human perception and time scales are so tiny we
          tend to think (or wish) the planet earth will never change, it's
          entire geological history is one of constant changes. Some over long
          time scales and some over short. Such is the natural course of
          geological events. Glad you were able to catch it at it's best :-)

          Cheers,
          KathyW.
        • crane@ukonline.co.uk
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 31, 2007
            Quoting Hans Nyberg <hans@...>:

            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Coffee" <groups@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Someone has to say it so let it be me...
            > >
            > > You could have been killed taking that panorama!!
            >
            > Actually I sent my client out on the cliff with the large tripod.
            >
            > Well trouth is that while I was packing from the first pano he went over to
            > this place with the
            > tripod. I could see him going out on the cliff setting up the tripod.
            >
            > You can imagine how that looked from the first pano
            > http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/moens-klint/fullscreen1.html
            >
            > This was the first of 6 panos and I started wonder if this would be my last
            > assignment.

            While taking panoramas on the cliffs of mohar I noticed when looking at the
            photos that me feet were not very firmly anchored in a grassy overhang. Also
            locals said that one day someone found a tripod on the cliff edge.

            regards

            michael crane

          • Flemming V. Larsen
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 31, 2007
              Limestone and clay isn't the most solid combination.
              Landslides are common at Møns Klint every year as you also can se from pano
              10 and down the list.
              http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/moens-klint/fullscreen10.html
              Allthough it doesn't use to be in this scale. But we've got a lot of rain
              here in Denmark this "pseudo-winter" - then a couple of days with frost
              making the water expand and things like this will happen.
              You can see a TV-clip here
              http://www.tv2regionerne.dk/reg2005/player.aspx?id=336946&r=3

              - Flemming
            • kahasdt
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 31, 2007

                > Some of you may remember me taking this panorama last summer
                > http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/moens-klint/fullscreen2.html
                >
                > That panorama is now an historical document.
                > The cliff I am standing on here
                http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/360hangover.jpg is gone.

                > This weekend a landslide, largest in 50 years, destroyed this very
                special landmark.

                > The whole cliff is now lying 300 meters out in the sea.
                > http://politiken.dk/indland/article235229.ece
                >
                > Hans

                Hello Hans,

                your panoramas are great! The places you choosed, the quality of the
                panoramas, the compession and also the way they are loading - simply
                GREAT!

                But I think you know that ;-)

                I'm doing panoramas for some day now, but never reached this quality.
                Would you share some information about your setup, processing and how
                you are doing panoramas 2 meters in front of a cliff?

                I think I have to find the places by myself :-(

                Greetings, KH
              • dalileis
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 1, 2007
                  Couldn't agree more. There are good panos and there are beautiful
                  panos and there are stunning panos even. And then there are Hans
                  panos. Soul panos, I call them. Almost spiritual. QTVR evangelism,
                  that is.

                  Regards,

                  Dalileis

                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "kahasdt" <karl-heinz.schuldt@...>
                  wrote:

                  > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Hans Nyberg" <hans@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Some of you may remember me taking this panorama last summer
                  > > http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/moens-klint/fullscreen2.html
                  > >
                  > > That panorama is now an historical document.
                  > > The cliff I am standing on here
                  > http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/360hangover.jpg is gone.
                  > >
                  > > This weekend a landslide, largest in 50 years, destroyed this very
                  > special landmark.
                  > >
                  > > The whole cliff is now lying 300 meters out in the sea.
                  > > http://politiken.dk/indland/article235229.ece
                  > >
                  > > Hans
                  > >

                  > Hello Hans,
                  >
                  > your panoramas are great! The places you choosed, the quality of the
                  > panoramas, the compession and also the way they are loading - simply
                  > GREAT!
                  >
                  > But I think you know that ;-)
                  >
                  > I'm doing panoramas for some day now, but never reached this quality.
                  > Would you share some information about your setup, processing and how
                  > you are doing panoramas 2 meters in front of a cliff?
                  >
                  > I think I have to find the places by myself :-(
                  >
                  > Greetings, KH

                • kahasdt
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 1, 2007
                    wrote:

                    > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Hans Nyberg" <hans@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Some of you may remember me taking this panorama last summer
                    > > http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/moens-klint/fullscreen2.html
                    > >
                    > > That panorama is now an historical document.
                    > > The cliff I am standing on here
                    > http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/360hangover.jpg is gone.
                    > >
                    > > This weekend a landslide, largest in 50 years, destroyed this very
                    > special landmark.
                    > >
                    > > The whole cliff is now lying 300 meters out in the sea.
                    > > http://politiken.dk/indland/article235229.ece
                    > >
                    > > Hans
                    > >

                    > Hello Hans,
                    >
                    > your panoramas are great! The places you choosed, the quality of the
                    > panoramas, the compession and also the way they are loading - simply
                    > GREAT!
                    >
                    > But I think you know that ;-)
                    >
                    > I'm doing panoramas for some day now, but never reached this quality.
                    > Would you share some information about your setup, processing and how
                    > you are doing panoramas 2 meters in front of a cliff?
                    >
                    > I think I have to find the places by myself :-(
                    >
                    > Greetings, KH

                    Hi there,

                    o.k. o.k.

                    I was so impressed by the panoram that I overlooked the jpg.
                    I thought Hans is a fan of handheld panoramas ;-))

                    Anyhow - after reading a little bit on Hans pages I'm still
                    interessted in his workflow.

                    Greetings, KH
                  • udedomenico
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 4, 2007
                      Hans,

                      I know you have already posted some information on the techinque you
                      used to wonderfully shot these pics.
                      See:

                      However I would like to know:

                      1] How did you make it rotate on the axis>?
                      in the post you say:

                      "...Rotation just by using a string around the vertical pole. (weight
                      a couple of gr)..."

                      Thinking about it, I cannot figure out how, pulling a string you
                      managed to rotate the vertical pole, withouth having a sort of tie up
                      with the rotator (like keeping your hands on the rotator ...)

                      It's kind of against the lever laws... is it not?

                      what am I missing from your description?

                      2] How did you manage to remove the equipment from the pano? Just
                      photoshop retouching or you also used another pic taken from another
                      position and only then retouched?

                      Thanks
                      Umbi
                    • Hans Nyberg
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 4, 2007
                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "udedomenico" <umberto_dedomenico@...>
                        wrote:
                        > I know you have already posted some information on the techinque you
                        > used to wonderfully shot these pics.
                        > See:
                        >
                        > However I would like to know:
                        >
                        > 1] How did you make it rotate on the axis>?
                        > in the post you say:
                        >
                        > "...Rotation just by using a string around the vertical pole. (weight
                        > a couple of gr)..."

                        This image should say it all.
                        http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/hanging-pole.jpg
                        Here is another image of the pole made at my tests
                        http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/horisontal-pole.jpg

                        Pulling the string rotates the hanging pole very easy as long as you make sure it hangs
                        vertical. As you can see the flag pole has to be pointed a little up as it bends because of
                        the weight.
                        Also the extension cable for the remote hade to be turned around CCW to be able to make
                        at least 3 turns. If I had a wireless remote I could easy make 10 360 degree turns

                        > 2] How did you manage to remove the equipment from the pano? Just
                        > photoshop retouching or you also used another pic taken from another
                        > position and only then retouched?

                        Different depending on the place.
                        In several I could hide behind a bush so it was just a few places I needed retouch.

                        In this one i had to take the pole in an move the tripods, than move it out again an take
                        an extra back image.
                        http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/moens-klint/fullscreen5.html

                        3 of them was made at -20 which covered also the nadir in 6 images.
                        The sky was taken from the edge and needed a lot of extra photoshop work.

                        This one was made with the shaved Nikkor 10,5 instead of the 15mm because the trees
                        was hanging over the edge and I had to get 180 degree vertical.
                        http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/moens-klint/fullscreen4.html

                        Hans
                      • udedomenico
                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 5, 2007