Re: [PanoToolsNG] It's all gone

  • Luca Vascon
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 30, 2007
      :-O
      oh, god, was a BEAUTYFUL place....
      Good compression ratio...
      the pictures are downloading as a charm and mantain their beautyness.
      But no surprise, since you made them.
      I think I know what the white rock is...
      ...so no wonder it came down. :-(
      I loved the #8.
      cheers.
      Luca.

      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 30, 2007
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Coffee" <groups@...> wrote:

        > Someone has to say it so let it be me...
        >
        > You could have been killed taking that panorama!!

        Actually I sent my client out on the cliff with the large tripod.

        Well trouth is that while I was packing from the first pano he went over to this place with the
        tripod. I could see him going out on the cliff setting up the tripod.

        You can imagine how that looked from the first pano
        http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/moens-klint/fullscreen1.html

        This was the first of 6 panos and I started wonder if this would be my last assignment.

        Hans
      • Pat Swovelin
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 30, 2007
          Hans Nyberg wrote:
          > Some of you may remember me taking this panorama last summer
          > http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/moens-klint/fullscreen2.html
          >
          > That panorama is now an historical document.
          > The cliff I am standing on here
          > http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/360hangover.jpg is gone.
          >
          > This weekend a landslide, largest in 50 years, destroyed this very
          > special landmark.
          >
          > The whole cliff is now lying 300 meters out in the sea.
          > http://politiken.dk/indland/article235229.ece

          It's so fortunate you were able to shoot it when you did. Now, as you
          said, it's a historical document of things that once were and are no more.

          > Hans

          Pat Swovelin
          Cool Guy @ Large
        • Kathy Wheeler
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 30, 2007
            On 31/01/2007, at 6:48 AM, Hans Nyberg wrote:
            > Some of you may remember me taking this panorama last summer
            > http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/moens-klint/fullscreen2.html

            Beautiful pano as usual Hans.

            > That panorama is now an historical document.
            > The cliff I am standing on here http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/
            > 360hangover.jpg is gone.

            I remember that one - scarey!

            > This weekend a landslide, largest in 50 years, destroyed this very
            > special landmark.
            >
            > The whole cliff is now lying 300 meters out in the sea.

            Well, as much as our human perception and time scales are so tiny we
            tend to think (or wish) the planet earth will never change, it's
            entire geological history is one of constant changes. Some over long
            time scales and some over short. Such is the natural course of
            geological events. Glad you were able to catch it at it's best :-)

            Cheers,
            KathyW.
          • crane@ukonline.co.uk
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 31, 2007
              Quoting Hans Nyberg <hans@...>:

              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Coffee" <groups@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Someone has to say it so let it be me...
              > >
              > > You could have been killed taking that panorama!!
              >
              > Actually I sent my client out on the cliff with the large tripod.
              >
              > Well trouth is that while I was packing from the first pano he went over to
              > this place with the
              > tripod. I could see him going out on the cliff setting up the tripod.
              >
              > You can imagine how that looked from the first pano
              > http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/moens-klint/fullscreen1.html
              >
              > This was the first of 6 panos and I started wonder if this would be my last
              > assignment.

              While taking panoramas on the cliffs of mohar I noticed when looking at the
              photos that me feet were not very firmly anchored in a grassy overhang. Also
              locals said that one day someone found a tripod on the cliff edge.

              regards

              michael crane

            • Flemming V. Larsen
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 31, 2007
                Limestone and clay isn't the most solid combination.
                Landslides are common at Møns Klint every year as you also can se from pano
                10 and down the list.
                http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/moens-klint/fullscreen10.html
                Allthough it doesn't use to be in this scale. But we've got a lot of rain
                here in Denmark this "pseudo-winter" - then a couple of days with frost
                making the water expand and things like this will happen.
                You can see a TV-clip here
                http://www.tv2regionerne.dk/reg2005/player.aspx?id=336946&r=3

                - Flemming
              • kahasdt
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 31, 2007

                  > Some of you may remember me taking this panorama last summer
                  > http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/moens-klint/fullscreen2.html
                  >
                  > That panorama is now an historical document.
                  > The cliff I am standing on here
                  http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/360hangover.jpg is gone.

                  > This weekend a landslide, largest in 50 years, destroyed this very
                  special landmark.

                  > The whole cliff is now lying 300 meters out in the sea.
                  > http://politiken.dk/indland/article235229.ece
                  >
                  > Hans

                  Hello Hans,

                  your panoramas are great! The places you choosed, the quality of the
                  panoramas, the compession and also the way they are loading - simply
                  GREAT!

                  But I think you know that ;-)

                  I'm doing panoramas for some day now, but never reached this quality.
                  Would you share some information about your setup, processing and how
                  you are doing panoramas 2 meters in front of a cliff?

                  I think I have to find the places by myself :-(

                  Greetings, KH
                • dalileis
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 1, 2007
                    Couldn't agree more. There are good panos and there are beautiful
                    panos and there are stunning panos even. And then there are Hans
                    panos. Soul panos, I call them. Almost spiritual. QTVR evangelism,
                    that is.

                    Regards,

                    Dalileis

                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "kahasdt" <karl-heinz.schuldt@...>
                    wrote:

                    > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Hans Nyberg" <hans@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Some of you may remember me taking this panorama last summer
                    > > http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/moens-klint/fullscreen2.html
                    > >
                    > > That panorama is now an historical document.
                    > > The cliff I am standing on here
                    > http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/360hangover.jpg is gone.
                    > >
                    > > This weekend a landslide, largest in 50 years, destroyed this very
                    > special landmark.
                    > >
                    > > The whole cliff is now lying 300 meters out in the sea.
                    > > http://politiken.dk/indland/article235229.ece
                    > >
                    > > Hans
                    > >

                    > Hello Hans,
                    >
                    > your panoramas are great! The places you choosed, the quality of the
                    > panoramas, the compession and also the way they are loading - simply
                    > GREAT!
                    >
                    > But I think you know that ;-)
                    >
                    > I'm doing panoramas for some day now, but never reached this quality.
                    > Would you share some information about your setup, processing and how
                    > you are doing panoramas 2 meters in front of a cliff?
                    >
                    > I think I have to find the places by myself :-(
                    >
                    > Greetings, KH

                  • kahasdt
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 1, 2007
                      wrote:

                      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Hans Nyberg" <hans@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Some of you may remember me taking this panorama last summer
                      > > http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/moens-klint/fullscreen2.html
                      > >
                      > > That panorama is now an historical document.
                      > > The cliff I am standing on here
                      > http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/360hangover.jpg is gone.
                      > >
                      > > This weekend a landslide, largest in 50 years, destroyed this very
                      > special landmark.
                      > >
                      > > The whole cliff is now lying 300 meters out in the sea.
                      > > http://politiken.dk/indland/article235229.ece
                      > >
                      > > Hans
                      > >

                      > Hello Hans,
                      >
                      > your panoramas are great! The places you choosed, the quality of the
                      > panoramas, the compession and also the way they are loading - simply
                      > GREAT!
                      >
                      > But I think you know that ;-)
                      >
                      > I'm doing panoramas for some day now, but never reached this quality.
                      > Would you share some information about your setup, processing and how
                      > you are doing panoramas 2 meters in front of a cliff?
                      >
                      > I think I have to find the places by myself :-(
                      >
                      > Greetings, KH

                      Hi there,

                      o.k. o.k.

                      I was so impressed by the panoram that I overlooked the jpg.
                      I thought Hans is a fan of handheld panoramas ;-))

                      Anyhow - after reading a little bit on Hans pages I'm still
                      interessted in his workflow.

                      Greetings, KH
                    • udedomenico
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 4, 2007
                        Hans,

                        I know you have already posted some information on the techinque you
                        used to wonderfully shot these pics.
                        See:

                        However I would like to know:

                        1] How did you make it rotate on the axis>?
                        in the post you say:

                        "...Rotation just by using a string around the vertical pole. (weight
                        a couple of gr)..."

                        Thinking about it, I cannot figure out how, pulling a string you
                        managed to rotate the vertical pole, withouth having a sort of tie up
                        with the rotator (like keeping your hands on the rotator ...)

                        It's kind of against the lever laws... is it not?

                        what am I missing from your description?

                        2] How did you manage to remove the equipment from the pano? Just
                        photoshop retouching or you also used another pic taken from another
                        position and only then retouched?

                        Thanks
                        Umbi
                      • Hans Nyberg
                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 4, 2007
                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "udedomenico" <umberto_dedomenico@...>
                          wrote:
                          > I know you have already posted some information on the techinque you
                          > used to wonderfully shot these pics.
                          > See:
                          >
                          > However I would like to know:
                          >
                          > 1] How did you make it rotate on the axis>?
                          > in the post you say:
                          >
                          > "...Rotation just by using a string around the vertical pole. (weight
                          > a couple of gr)..."

                          This image should say it all.
                          http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/hanging-pole.jpg
                          Here is another image of the pole made at my tests
                          http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/horisontal-pole.jpg

                          Pulling the string rotates the hanging pole very easy as long as you make sure it hangs
                          vertical. As you can see the flag pole has to be pointed a little up as it bends because of
                          the weight.
                          Also the extension cable for the remote hade to be turned around CCW to be able to make
                          at least 3 turns. If I had a wireless remote I could easy make 10 360 degree turns

                          > 2] How did you manage to remove the equipment from the pano? Just
                          > photoshop retouching or you also used another pic taken from another
                          > position and only then retouched?

                          Different depending on the place.
                          In several I could hide behind a bush so it was just a few places I needed retouch.

                          In this one i had to take the pole in an move the tripods, than move it out again an take
                          an extra back image.
                          http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/moens-klint/fullscreen5.html

                          3 of them was made at -20 which covered also the nadir in 6 images.
                          The sky was taken from the edge and needed a lot of extra photoshop work.

                          This one was made with the shaved Nikkor 10,5 instead of the 15mm because the trees
                          was hanging over the edge and I had to get 180 degree vertical.
                          http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/moens-klint/fullscreen4.html

                          Hans
                        • udedomenico
                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 5, 2007