It's all gone

  • Hans Nyberg
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 30, 2007
      Some of you may remember me taking this panorama last summer
      http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/moens-klint/fullscreen2.html

      That panorama is now an historical document.
      The cliff I am standing on here http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/360hangover.jpg is gone.

      This weekend a landslide, largest in 50 years, destroyed this very special landmark.

      The whole cliff is now lying 300 meters out in the sea.
      http://politiken.dk/indland/article235229.ece

      Hans
    • ptgroup
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 30, 2007
        What a pitty: I personally like Möns Klint very much.
        It´s a Northern Landmark - just like Rügen´s Kaiserstuhl.

        Too much water rinsing the soil - keep your document warm.
        May bee I should go to Rügen to make a document alike.
        But not time - unfortunately (for this).

        Ciao
        Mike

        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 30, 2007
          Hans, that's a shame. Beach erosion is a very powerful thing, I guess
          it bore the brunt of the recent storms in the North Sea. Here in
          Northern California we have similar cliffs that are erroding into the
          pacific at a rapid rate.
          How about a pano of to show what it looks like now?

          Bazzer

          > Some of you may remember me taking this panorama last summer
          > http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/moens-klint/fullscreen2.html
          >
          > That panorama is now an historical document.
          > The cliff I am standing on here
          http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/360hangover.jpg is gone.

          > This weekend a landslide, largest in 50 years, destroyed this very
          special landmark.

          > The whole cliff is now lying 300 meters out in the sea.
          > http://politiken.dk/indland/article235229.ece
          >
          > Hans

        • Jim Coffee
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 30, 2007
            Someone has to say it so let it be me...

            You could have been killed taking that panorama!!

            Glad you got it. It's great.

            -Jim Coffee-

            > Some of you may remember me taking this panorama last summer
            > http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/moens-klint/fullscreen2.html
            >
            > That panorama is now an historical document.
            > The cliff I am standing on here http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/360hangover.jpg
            > is gone.
            >
            > This weekend a landslide, largest in 50 years, destroyed this very special
            > landmark.
            >
            > The whole cliff is now lying 300 meters out in the sea.
            > http://politiken.dk/indland/article235229.ece
            >
            > Hans

          • Hans Nyberg
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 30, 2007
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "tflyfish2002" <Bazzer@...> wrote:

              > Hans, that's a shame. Beach erosion is a very powerful thing, I guess
              > it bore the brunt of the recent storms in the North Sea. Here in
              > Northern California we have similar cliffs that are erroding into the
              > pacific at a rapid rate.
              > How about a pano of to show what it looks like now?

              As soon as we get a couple of days with good weather I probably go there.
              My client just asked.

              I must say that I could not at all recognize the place when I saw it in the News on
              Sunday.
              I could not imagine that it actually was this special cliff which was gone.

              Hans
            • Luca Vascon
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 30, 2007
                :-O
                oh, god, was a BEAUTYFUL place....
                Good compression ratio...
                the pictures are downloading as a charm and mantain their beautyness.
                But no surprise, since you made them.
                I think I know what the white rock is...
                ...so no wonder it came down. :-(
                I loved the #8.
                cheers.
                Luca.

                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 30, 2007
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Coffee" <groups@...> wrote:

                  > Someone has to say it so let it be me...
                  >
                  > You could have been killed taking that panorama!!

                  Actually I sent my client out on the cliff with the large tripod.

                  Well trouth is that while I was packing from the first pano he went over to this place with the
                  tripod. I could see him going out on the cliff setting up the tripod.

                  You can imagine how that looked from the first pano
                  http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/moens-klint/fullscreen1.html

                  This was the first of 6 panos and I started wonder if this would be my last assignment.

                  Hans
                • Pat Swovelin
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 30, 2007
                    Hans Nyberg wrote:
                    > Some of you may remember me taking this panorama last summer
                    > http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/moens-klint/fullscreen2.html
                    >
                    > That panorama is now an historical document.
                    > The cliff I am standing on here
                    > http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/360hangover.jpg is gone.
                    >
                    > This weekend a landslide, largest in 50 years, destroyed this very
                    > special landmark.
                    >
                    > The whole cliff is now lying 300 meters out in the sea.
                    > http://politiken.dk/indland/article235229.ece

                    It's so fortunate you were able to shoot it when you did. Now, as you
                    said, it's a historical document of things that once were and are no more.

                    > Hans

                    Pat Swovelin
                    Cool Guy @ Large
                  • Kathy Wheeler
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 30, 2007
                      On 31/01/2007, at 6:48 AM, Hans Nyberg wrote:
                      > Some of you may remember me taking this panorama last summer
                      > http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/moens-klint/fullscreen2.html

                      Beautiful pano as usual Hans.

                      > That panorama is now an historical document.
                      > The cliff I am standing on here http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/
                      > 360hangover.jpg is gone.

                      I remember that one - scarey!

                      > This weekend a landslide, largest in 50 years, destroyed this very
                      > special landmark.
                      >
                      > The whole cliff is now lying 300 meters out in the sea.

                      Well, as much as our human perception and time scales are so tiny we
                      tend to think (or wish) the planet earth will never change, it's
                      entire geological history is one of constant changes. Some over long
                      time scales and some over short. Such is the natural course of
                      geological events. Glad you were able to catch it at it's best :-)

                      Cheers,
                      KathyW.
                    • crane@ukonline.co.uk
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 31, 2007
                        Quoting Hans Nyberg <hans@...>:

                        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Coffee" <groups@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Someone has to say it so let it be me...
                        > >
                        > > You could have been killed taking that panorama!!
                        >
                        > Actually I sent my client out on the cliff with the large tripod.
                        >
                        > Well trouth is that while I was packing from the first pano he went over to
                        > this place with the
                        > tripod. I could see him going out on the cliff setting up the tripod.
                        >
                        > You can imagine how that looked from the first pano
                        > http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/moens-klint/fullscreen1.html
                        >
                        > This was the first of 6 panos and I started wonder if this would be my last
                        > assignment.

                        While taking panoramas on the cliffs of mohar I noticed when looking at the
                        photos that me feet were not very firmly anchored in a grassy overhang. Also
                        locals said that one day someone found a tripod on the cliff edge.

                        regards

                        michael crane

                      • Flemming V. Larsen
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 31, 2007
                          Limestone and clay isn't the most solid combination.
                          Landslides are common at Møns Klint every year as you also can se from pano
                          10 and down the list.
                          http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/moens-klint/fullscreen10.html
                          Allthough it doesn't use to be in this scale. But we've got a lot of rain
                          here in Denmark this "pseudo-winter" - then a couple of days with frost
                          making the water expand and things like this will happen.
                          You can see a TV-clip here
                          http://www.tv2regionerne.dk/reg2005/player.aspx?id=336946&r=3

                          - Flemming
                        • kahasdt
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 31, 2007

                            > Some of you may remember me taking this panorama last summer
                            > http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/moens-klint/fullscreen2.html
                            >
                            > That panorama is now an historical document.
                            > The cliff I am standing on here
                            http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/360hangover.jpg is gone.

                            > This weekend a landslide, largest in 50 years, destroyed this very
                            special landmark.

                            > The whole cliff is now lying 300 meters out in the sea.
                            > http://politiken.dk/indland/article235229.ece
                            >
                            > Hans

                            Hello Hans,

                            your panoramas are great! The places you choosed, the quality of the
                            panoramas, the compession and also the way they are loading - simply
                            GREAT!

                            But I think you know that ;-)

                            I'm doing panoramas for some day now, but never reached this quality.
                            Would you share some information about your setup, processing and how
                            you are doing panoramas 2 meters in front of a cliff?

                            I think I have to find the places by myself :-(

                            Greetings, KH
                          • dalileis
                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 1, 2007
                              Couldn't agree more. There are good panos and there are beautiful
                              panos and there are stunning panos even. And then there are Hans
                              panos. Soul panos, I call them. Almost spiritual. QTVR evangelism,
                              that is.

                              Regards,

                              Dalileis

                              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "kahasdt" <karl-heinz.schuldt@...>
                              wrote:

                              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Hans Nyberg" <hans@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Some of you may remember me taking this panorama last summer
                              > > http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/moens-klint/fullscreen2.html
                              > >
                              > > That panorama is now an historical document.
                              > > The cliff I am standing on here
                              > http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/360hangover.jpg is gone.
                              > >
                              > > This weekend a landslide, largest in 50 years, destroyed this very
                              > special landmark.
                              > >
                              > > The whole cliff is now lying 300 meters out in the sea.
                              > > http://politiken.dk/indland/article235229.ece
                              > >
                              > > Hans
                              > >

                              > Hello Hans,
                              >
                              > your panoramas are great! The places you choosed, the quality of the
                              > panoramas, the compession and also the way they are loading - simply
                              > GREAT!
                              >
                              > But I think you know that ;-)
                              >
                              > I'm doing panoramas for some day now, but never reached this quality.
                              > Would you share some information about your setup, processing and how
                              > you are doing panoramas 2 meters in front of a cliff?
                              >
                              > I think I have to find the places by myself :-(
                              >
                              > Greetings, KH

                            • kahasdt
                              Message 14 of 17 , Feb 1, 2007
                                wrote:

                                > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Hans Nyberg" <hans@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Some of you may remember me taking this panorama last summer
                                > > http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/moens-klint/fullscreen2.html
                                > >
                                > > That panorama is now an historical document.
                                > > The cliff I am standing on here
                                > http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/360hangover.jpg is gone.
                                > >
                                > > This weekend a landslide, largest in 50 years, destroyed this very
                                > special landmark.
                                > >
                                > > The whole cliff is now lying 300 meters out in the sea.
                                > > http://politiken.dk/indland/article235229.ece
                                > >
                                > > Hans
                                > >

                                > Hello Hans,
                                >
                                > your panoramas are great! The places you choosed, the quality of the
                                > panoramas, the compession and also the way they are loading - simply
                                > GREAT!
                                >
                                > But I think you know that ;-)
                                >
                                > I'm doing panoramas for some day now, but never reached this quality.
                                > Would you share some information about your setup, processing and how
                                > you are doing panoramas 2 meters in front of a cliff?
                                >
                                > I think I have to find the places by myself :-(
                                >
                                > Greetings, KH

                                Hi there,

                                o.k. o.k.

                                I was so impressed by the panoram that I overlooked the jpg.
                                I thought Hans is a fan of handheld panoramas ;-))

                                Anyhow - after reading a little bit on Hans pages I'm still
                                interessted in his workflow.

                                Greetings, KH
                              • udedomenico
                                Message 15 of 17 , Feb 4, 2007
                                  Hans,

                                  I know you have already posted some information on the techinque you
                                  used to wonderfully shot these pics.
                                  See:

                                  However I would like to know:

                                  1] How did you make it rotate on the axis>?
                                  in the post you say:

                                  "...Rotation just by using a string around the vertical pole. (weight
                                  a couple of gr)..."

                                  Thinking about it, I cannot figure out how, pulling a string you
                                  managed to rotate the vertical pole, withouth having a sort of tie up
                                  with the rotator (like keeping your hands on the rotator ...)

                                  It's kind of against the lever laws... is it not?

                                  what am I missing from your description?

                                  2] How did you manage to remove the equipment from the pano? Just
                                  photoshop retouching or you also used another pic taken from another
                                  position and only then retouched?

                                  Thanks
                                  Umbi
                                • Hans Nyberg
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Feb 4, 2007
                                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "udedomenico" <umberto_dedomenico@...>
                                    wrote:
                                    > I know you have already posted some information on the techinque you
                                    > used to wonderfully shot these pics.
                                    > See:
                                    >
                                    > However I would like to know:
                                    >
                                    > 1] How did you make it rotate on the axis>?
                                    > in the post you say:
                                    >
                                    > "...Rotation just by using a string around the vertical pole. (weight
                                    > a couple of gr)..."

                                    This image should say it all.
                                    http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/hanging-pole.jpg
                                    Here is another image of the pole made at my tests
                                    http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/horisontal-pole.jpg

                                    Pulling the string rotates the hanging pole very easy as long as you make sure it hangs
                                    vertical. As you can see the flag pole has to be pointed a little up as it bends because of
                                    the weight.
                                    Also the extension cable for the remote hade to be turned around CCW to be able to make
                                    at least 3 turns. If I had a wireless remote I could easy make 10 360 degree turns

                                    > 2] How did you manage to remove the equipment from the pano? Just
                                    > photoshop retouching or you also used another pic taken from another
                                    > position and only then retouched?

                                    Different depending on the place.
                                    In several I could hide behind a bush so it was just a few places I needed retouch.

                                    In this one i had to take the pole in an move the tripods, than move it out again an take
                                    an extra back image.
                                    http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/moens-klint/fullscreen5.html

                                    3 of them was made at -20 which covered also the nadir in 6 images.
                                    The sky was taken from the edge and needed a lot of extra photoshop work.

                                    This one was made with the shaved Nikkor 10,5 instead of the 15mm because the trees
                                    was hanging over the edge and I had to get 180 degree vertical.
                                    http://www.panoramas.dk/dk/moens-klint/fullscreen4.html

                                    Hans
                                  • udedomenico
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Feb 5, 2007