Re[2]: [PanoToolsNG] concentric mosaics

  • Thomas Rauscher
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 12, 2006
      Hello Matti,

      on Wednesday, July 12, 2006, 07:31:49 you wrote:

      >> Wow, the paper is a very interesting read! What are your plans for the
      >> program/sourcecode? I guess since you are in Europe you don't have to
      >> fear any patent problems even if there are patents, because SW patents
      >> are not (yet) allowed. The described algorithm is plain mathematics so
      >> you could have come up with the same formulas by yourself... But I am
      >> not a lawyer.

      MK> I've written mainly open source software for linux, and as my program
      MK> uses open source OpenCV, which works both in windows and linux, the best
      MK> thing is to put my code open source.

      May I ask why you choose OpenCV? I found this very unstable and buggy
      when I used it for some tests.

      MfG,
      Thomas.
    • Matti Koskinen
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 12, 2006
        Thomas Rauscher kirjoitti:
        > May I ask why you choose OpenCV? I found this very unstable and buggy
        > when I used it for some tests.
        >
        > MfG,
        > Thomas.

        I've found it stable :-) I've had only one error in cvSVD in linux, it
        crashed occasionally, But otherwise I've had no problems with it. And my
        great idea of using view morphing to interpolate is readily available
        in opencv. Only the number of pictures taken must still be quite high to
        create good view morphing, Alexandre's hope to take only 8, doesn't work
        at all. (or maybe the view morphing algorithm in opencv is buggy! :-)

        best
        -matti

      • Thomas Rauscher
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 12, 2006
          Hello Matti,

          on Wednesday, July 12, 2006, 12:31:00 you wrote:

          MK> Thomas Rauscher kirjoitti:
          >> May I ask why you choose OpenCV? I found this very unstable and buggy
          >> when I used it for some tests.
          MK> I've found it stable :-) I've had only one error in cvSVD in linux, it
          MK> crashed occasionally, But otherwise I've had no problems with it. And my
          MK> great idea of using view morphing to interpolate is readily available
          MK> in opencv. Only the number of pictures taken must still be quite high to
          MK> create good view morphing, Alexandre's hope to take only 8, doesn't work
          MK> at all. (or maybe the view morphing algorithm in opencv is buggy! :-)

          Maybe you can debug it and it will work with one normal pano! ;)
          I am looking forward to see your app!

          When I looked for some more papers I found these two interesting
          things. These are recordings of talks at Google so we can imaging what
          version >4 of Google Earth will look like.

          First:
          Photorealistic modeling of large-scale scenes.
          Its like an Object Movie++

          And Virtual LA

          The interesting thing is that both use Photographs as a basis of their
          models so I hope you also find it interesting but I am aware that this
          is getting a bit OT.

          MfG,
          Thomas.
        • Sam
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 12, 2006
            Hey there,

            Did anyone try out the new autopano from autopano.net, claims to do HDR
            on the fly. Tried with 8mm lens but didnt quite do the right job, found
            out it isnt compatible yet with fisheyes.

            Try it out!

            Sam
          • yuval levy
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 12, 2006
              --- Sam <mygroups@...> wrote:
              > Did anyone try out the new autopano from
              > autopano.net, claims to do HDR
              > on the fly. Tried with 8mm lens but didnt quite do
              > the right job, found
              > out it isnt compatible yet with fisheyes.

              I did try it out a few weeks ago. 8mm sigma. I hold my
              camera tilted 34° sideways when shooting panos.
              Autopano did order them like stairs. It was nice to
              look at but not exactly right. Alexandre told me that
              fisheye support is coming soon.

              Yuv

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • alexandre
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 12, 2006
                Autopano Pro is currently in the v1.3 branch which aims is to give
                some manual tools to correct a panorama. Yesterday, phase 2 of beta 3
                was released with many new features. Just have a look here :
                http://www.autopano.net/beta

                We were forced to postpone Fisheyes support before for such lens, you
                need more offen a manual mode than for standard lens. That's why we
                decided to first release a control point editor in the product before
                the activation of fisheye. But fisheye is already working internally,
                I just cannot activate them until control point editor is finished. I
                just want this feature working for 95% of panorama, that's huge and
                needs many finetunning.

                For information about current development :
                our devBlog : http://blog.autopano.net
                our community forum : http://forum.autopano.net

                Alexandre