In search of: free java-based viewer for <360 degree panoramas

  • stryker
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 26, 2007
      Hi,

      I've been stitching together a collection of panorama shots from a
      recent trip and having mixed success with PTviewer until finally the
      penny dropped - the ones it's failing to display are all less than
      360degrees.

      The Wiki seems to indicate only the beta of an older branch of
      PTviewer supported partial panoramas, and perhaps one of the
      commercial ones.

      Is anyone else using (and can recommend) a free viewer that can be
      embedded in HTML pages that supports both 360 degree and less?

      Thanks
      Geoff
    • Milko Amorth
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 26, 2007
        Hi Geoff,

        > Is anyone else using (and can recommend) a free viewer that can be
        > embedded in HTML pages that supports both 360 degree and less?
        Use the one you have. PTV does partial panos well with som mods,though.
        Expand the canvas to 360 before you export from ptsticher. Use <panmin>
        and <panmax> params to limit the pan left and right.

        It's been a while...but its still neat and simple to do. Here you will
        find a tutorial a tutorial:
        http://www.path.unimelb.edu.au/~dersch/PTVJ/partial.html

        This is a sample of one I recently recoded with the p2q-embed-object java
        script.
        http://www.360image.de/terracana/view_from_lodge.html

        See source for params and replace url .html with .jpg to see the full
        image with the expanded canvas, if you like too.

        Cheers, Milko

        --
        Milko Amorth
        VRCanada.ca
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 27, 2007
          PTViewer 2.8 from Fulvio Senore has direct support for partial panoramas

          http://www.fsoft.it/panorama/ptviewer.htm

          Michael Hansky

          Milko Amorth schrieb:
          > Hi Geoff,
          >

          >> Is anyone else using (and can recommend) a free viewer that can be
          >> embedded in HTML pages that supports both 360 degree and less?
          >>
          > Use the one you have. PTV does partial panos well with som mods,though.
          > Expand the canvas to 360 before you export from ptsticher. Use <panmin>
          > and <panmax> params to limit the pan left and right.
          >
          > It's been a while...but its still neat and simple to do. Here you will
          > find a tutorial a tutorial:
          > http://www.path.unimelb.edu.au/~dersch/PTVJ/partial.html
          >
          > This is a sample of one I recently recoded with the p2q-embed-object java
          > script.
          > http://www.360image.de/terracana/view_from_lodge.html
          >
          > See source for params and replace url .html with .jpg to see the full
          > image with the expanded canvas, if you like too.
          >

          > Cheers, Milko

        • Milko Amorth
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 28, 2007
            Hi Micheal,

            > PTViewer 2.8 from Fulvio Senore has direct support for partial panoramas
            > http://www.fsoft.it/panorama/ptviewer.htm

            I have just tried this version, but it would not display a cropped partial
            image. Neither would the viewer. Expanding the canvas works.
            What do you do differently?

            --
            Milko Amorth
            VRCanada.ca
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 28, 2007
              Hello Milko,

              take a look at this sample:

              http://www.zooming.de/demo/ptviewer/partial/test.htm

              Michael

              Milko Amorth schrieb:
              > Hi Micheal,
              >

              >> PTViewer 2.8 from Fulvio Senore has direct support for partial panoramas
              >> http://www.fsoft.it/panorama/ptviewer.htm
              >>

              > I have just tried this version, but it would not display a cropped partial
              > image. Neither would the viewer. Expanding the canvas works.
              > What do you do differently?

            • Milko Amorth
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 29, 2007
                Hi Micheal,

                > take a look at this sample:
                >
                > http://www.zooming.de/demo/ptviewer/partial/test.htm

                Thanks, it works well without expanding the canvas.....with the panmax and
                panmin params in place.
                <param name="panmin" value="-170">
                <param name="panmax" value="170">

                Looks like a nice, warm and peaceful place to be right now.

                Great. Thank you.

                Have a nice Day, Milko
              • stryker
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 30, 2007
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Milko Amorth" <panotools@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Micheal,
                  >
                  > > take a look at this sample:
                  > >
                  > > http://www.zooming.de/demo/ptviewer/partial/test.htm
                  >
                  > Thanks, it works well without expanding the canvas.....with the
                  panmax and
                  > panmin params in place.
                  > <param name="panmin" value="-170">
                  > <param name="panmax" value="170">

                  Thanks for this advice guys. The sample looks great and it appears a
                  very simple fix to add the panmin & panmax parameters. I had been
                  attempting to stretch the images to 360 degrees with a black
                  background but the image sizes were getting very large.

                  With this more simple solution though I've yet to have any joy with my
                  own files. I've tried this with both a .jpg and a .ptv version of two
                  different partial panoramas. The .jpg loads to 100%, the .ptv to 80%
                  but neither displays (in both cases). HFOV and VFOV values are calc'd
                  by hugin 0.6.1 One is a 148 degree and the other a 230 degree partial
                  panorama - 26 and 60 degrees VFOV respectively.

                  I set the panmin to (-1) * HFOV / 2 ; and panmax to HFOV/2

                  From the readme file I've confirmed I'm using "PTViewer 2.8, based on
                  V2.5 by Helmut Dersch".

                  According to your sample this should now work...is there anything else
                  I'm missing?

                  Thanks again for your help,
                  Geoff
                • Fulvio Senore
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 30, 2007
                    stryker ha scritto:
                    > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Milko Amorth" <panotools@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> Hi Micheal,
                    >>

                    >>> take a look at this sample:
                    >>>
                    >>> http://www.zooming.de/demo/ptviewer/partial/test.htm
                    >>>
                    >> Thanks, it works well without expanding the canvas.....with the
                    >>
                    > panmax and
                    >
                    >> panmin params in place.
                    >> <param name="panmin" value="-170">
                    >> <param name="panmax" value="170">
                    >>

                    > Thanks for this advice guys. The sample looks great and it appears a
                    > very simple fix to add the panmin & panmax parameters. I had been
                    > attempting to stretch the images to 360 degrees with a black
                    > background but the image sizes were getting very large.
                    >
                    > With this more simple solution though I've yet to have any joy with my
                    > own files. I've tried this with both a .jpg and a .ptv version of two
                    > different partial panoramas. The .jpg loads to 100%, the .ptv to 80%
                    > but neither displays (in both cases). HFOV and VFOV values are calc'd
                    > by hugin 0.6.1 One is a 148 degree and the other a 230 degree partial
                    > panorama - 26 and 60 degrees VFOV respectively.
                    >
                    > I set the panmin to (-1) * HFOV / 2 ; and panmax to HFOV/2
                    >
                    > >From the readme file I've confirmed I'm using "PTViewer 2.8, based on
                    > V2.5 by Helmut Dersch".
                    >
                    > According to your sample this should now work...is there anything else
                    > I'm missing?
                    >
                    > Thanks again for your help,
                    > Geoff

                    PTViewer 2.8 cannot handle partial (less than 360°) panoramic images.
                    The only solution is to expand the canvas and then limit panning to the
                    meaningful part of the image. I tried to solve this problem some time
                    ago but I was not able to do it (I am not the original author of the
                    applet). Adding a black background to the image should not cause the
                    jpeg file to become much larger: those uniform areas are compressed very
                    well.

                    If ptviewer loads the pano but it does not show it, the most probable
                    cause is that the image is too large: try with a smaller one. To be sure
                    just look at the java console to see error messages. Right click the
                    java icon near the clock and open the console.

                    Fulvio Senore
                  • stryker
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 31, 2007
                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Fulvio Senore <mailing@...> wrote:

                      > PTViewer 2.8 cannot handle partial (less than 360°) panoramic images.
                      > The only solution is to expand the canvas and then limit panning to the
                      > meaningful part of the image. I tried to solve this problem some time
                      > ago but I was not able to do it (I am not the original author of the
                      > applet). Adding a black background to the image should not cause the
                      > jpeg file to become much larger: those uniform areas are compressed
                      very
                      > well.

                      Thanks Fulvio. I did read that in the documentation, thus the reason
                      for my original post. The others who have kindly responded here must
                      be using another version of PTviewer therefore.

                      > If ptviewer loads the pano but it does not show it, the most probable
                      > cause is that the image is too large: try with a smaller one. To be
                      sure
                      > just look at the java console to see error messages. Right click the
                      > java icon near the clock and open the console.

                      Thanks again for that tip. Yes it has run out of memory. The first
                      pair of lines is from the console when an image didn't show, the 2nd
                      pair from when it worked fine.

                      Exception in thread "Image Fetcher 1" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java
                      heap space
                      Exception in thread "Thread-6" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
                      PTViewer: reading a local image file
                      PTViewer: loading whole file

                      I'll resample, stretch to 360 degrees and retry as I do like the way
                      the .ptv format loads. Thanks again!