Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: concentric mosaics

  • Matti Koskinen
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 12, 2006
      Hi Alexandre

      alexandre kirjoitti:
      > Hello Matti,
      >
      > I must say, this new way to display panorama and create them is really
      > interesting. The demo from microsoft research lab gives a good
      > impression of what can be done with such a technology. If you think
      > about it for the future, let's just have a java class to display them,
      > we could remplace any online viewer with this one and you'll have the
      > possibility to move around in the panorama.

      The problem with this is that the files are quite big. There's been
      vector quantisation to reduce the size or other methods as well..
      Depending how many concentric mosaics are used, the image size can be up
      to 150 megs uncompressed using 320x240 basic image resolution.

      > The drawback of this method is that it's only a "codec" technic
      > working like a multichannel panorama. All the hard work is done in
      > fact at shooting time. I'm wondering if the process here can deal with
      > a small number of photos (let's say 8 pictures on pole for a 360°).
      > Interterpolation between them is needed and I don't see any simple
      > method to do that.

      I don't think it's possible. The main idea is to capture only a slit and
      the 3d information is in the other slits. But I have an idea...
      There is a paper of handheld video camera for cm, but it's getting
      quite complicated. The structure from motion must be calculated to do
      all the corrections and the images are interpolated to ensure even movement.

      > Realviz showed another tools some time ago called VTour which try to
      > do the same. It uses a standard spherical panorama as input, and does
      > the projection of pixels to a 3D scene you've build around the
      > panorama. So you'll get a full 3d scene with reprojected texture on
      > wall, floor, etc. When displaying the panorama, you also have the
      > ability to move around near the center of the panorama. You can go
      > far, but texture goes ugly really soon.
      >
      > Alexandre

      best
      -matti

    • Thomas Rauscher
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 12, 2006
        Hello Matti,

        on Wednesday, July 12, 2006, 07:31:49 you wrote:

        >> Wow, the paper is a very interesting read! What are your plans for the
        >> program/sourcecode? I guess since you are in Europe you don't have to
        >> fear any patent problems even if there are patents, because SW patents
        >> are not (yet) allowed. The described algorithm is plain mathematics so
        >> you could have come up with the same formulas by yourself... But I am
        >> not a lawyer.

        MK> I've written mainly open source software for linux, and as my program
        MK> uses open source OpenCV, which works both in windows and linux, the best
        MK> thing is to put my code open source.

        May I ask why you choose OpenCV? I found this very unstable and buggy
        when I used it for some tests.

        MfG,
        Thomas.
      • Matti Koskinen
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 12, 2006
          Thomas Rauscher kirjoitti:
          > May I ask why you choose OpenCV? I found this very unstable and buggy
          > when I used it for some tests.
          >
          > MfG,
          > Thomas.

          I've found it stable :-) I've had only one error in cvSVD in linux, it
          crashed occasionally, But otherwise I've had no problems with it. And my
          great idea of using view morphing to interpolate is readily available
          in opencv. Only the number of pictures taken must still be quite high to
          create good view morphing, Alexandre's hope to take only 8, doesn't work
          at all. (or maybe the view morphing algorithm in opencv is buggy! :-)

          best
          -matti

        • Thomas Rauscher
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 12, 2006
            Hello Matti,

            on Wednesday, July 12, 2006, 12:31:00 you wrote:

            MK> Thomas Rauscher kirjoitti:
            >> May I ask why you choose OpenCV? I found this very unstable and buggy
            >> when I used it for some tests.
            MK> I've found it stable :-) I've had only one error in cvSVD in linux, it
            MK> crashed occasionally, But otherwise I've had no problems with it. And my
            MK> great idea of using view morphing to interpolate is readily available
            MK> in opencv. Only the number of pictures taken must still be quite high to
            MK> create good view morphing, Alexandre's hope to take only 8, doesn't work
            MK> at all. (or maybe the view morphing algorithm in opencv is buggy! :-)

            Maybe you can debug it and it will work with one normal pano! ;)
            I am looking forward to see your app!

            When I looked for some more papers I found these two interesting
            things. These are recordings of talks at Google so we can imaging what
            version >4 of Google Earth will look like.

            First:
            Photorealistic modeling of large-scale scenes.
            Its like an Object Movie++

            And Virtual LA

            The interesting thing is that both use Photographs as a basis of their
            models so I hope you also find it interesting but I am aware that this
            is getting a bit OT.

            MfG,
            Thomas.
          • Sam
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 12, 2006
              Hey there,

              Did anyone try out the new autopano from autopano.net, claims to do HDR
              on the fly. Tried with 8mm lens but didnt quite do the right job, found
              out it isnt compatible yet with fisheyes.

              Try it out!

              Sam
            • yuval levy
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 12, 2006
                --- Sam <mygroups@...> wrote:
                > Did anyone try out the new autopano from
                > autopano.net, claims to do HDR
                > on the fly. Tried with 8mm lens but didnt quite do
                > the right job, found
                > out it isnt compatible yet with fisheyes.

                I did try it out a few weeks ago. 8mm sigma. I hold my
                camera tilted 34° sideways when shooting panos.
                Autopano did order them like stairs. It was nice to
                look at but not exactly right. Alexandre told me that
                fisheye support is coming soon.

                Yuv

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • alexandre
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 12, 2006
                  Autopano Pro is currently in the v1.3 branch which aims is to give
                  some manual tools to correct a panorama. Yesterday, phase 2 of beta 3
                  was released with many new features. Just have a look here :
                  http://www.autopano.net/beta

                  We were forced to postpone Fisheyes support before for such lens, you
                  need more offen a manual mode than for standard lens. That's why we
                  decided to first release a control point editor in the product before
                  the activation of fisheye. But fisheye is already working internally,
                  I just cannot activate them until control point editor is finished. I
                  just want this feature working for 95% of panorama, that's huge and
                  needs many finetunning.

                  For information about current development :
                  our devBlog : http://blog.autopano.net
                  our community forum : http://forum.autopano.net

                  Alexandre