Pinnacle VR - FW: plug the holes

  • Mark D. Fink
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 8, 2007
      Hi Everyone,

      Eric and I have been having some off list conversations and, after getting
      his permission to forward it, I thought the group in general might be
      interested in reading through them. His most recent question, below, is
      regarding the number of holes available in the base unit.

      There are two concentric rings, the outer one having 36 holes for up to 10
      degrees of rotation while the inner one has 8 holes for up to 45 degrees of
      rotation. The outer ring covers the following combinations - 2, 3, 4, 6, 9,
      12, 18, and 36 columns, while the inner ring covers 2, 4, and 8 columns.

      Eric's preference would be to have a third ring with just 6 holes to match
      his shooting style without needing to keep track of how many holes to skip
      between columns. Technically, this could be done by taking the existing base
      unit to a machine shop and having them drill a set of holes, then also
      drilling a corresponding hole in the yaw base with threading to match the
      spring loaded indexing pin. I wouldn't think it would be too expensive to
      have done. If there is ever a second fabrication run, I might consider
      adding this third ring if enough people request it.

      The other option is to redesign the base unit so that on one side, you have
      the existing pattern of holes, but on the other side, some of the holes
      don't get drilled all the way through. That way, the outer ring on side B
      could have just 6 holes, and the inner ring on side B could have just 4
      holes.

      Sorry for all the messages below here, but I thought some of you might be
      interested in the details of our exchanges. I also summarized some of them
      on the Pinnacle VR site under the FAQ section.

      Thanks,

      Mark
      www.pinnacle-vr.com
      www.northernlight.net