Kings Peak Summit Panorama

  • Alan Ritter
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 29, 2014
      Earlier in August, some friends and I climbed Kings Peak, 13,528', the
      tallest peak in the state of Utah. It was my
      45th of the 50 U.S. state highpoints. The summit pan is at:

      http://www.mtritter.org/highpoints/Utah_2014/Pans/Kings_Peak.htm (Java
      version)

      http://www.mtritter.org/highpoints/Utah_2014/Pans/Kings_Peak.htm
      (Quicktime version)

      The pan was shot with my Nikon D200 and 10.5mm Nikkor full-frame
      fisheye, mounted on a home-brew bracket that attaches to the top of my
      trekking pole as a monopod. The pan was generated using PTGui and
      edited to touch up some stitching issues using GIMP. The Java version
      was generated directly by PTGui and allows full-frame viewing.

      --
      /s/jar (Alan Ritter, jar@...)
      http://www.mtritter.org

        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 30, 2014
          I didn't know that there's full frame Nikkor 10.5mmm. Is there?
          Nice pano BTW. I wish I could climb that high.

          A Kielcz
          Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 30, 2014
            Full-frame as opposed to circular...D200 is a DX-sensor, so the 10.5 fills it at 180 corner-to-corner.  Sorry if I confused anyone.
            /s/jar (Alan Ritter, jar@...)
                    http://www.mtritter.org

            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 30, 2014
              Thanks.  I'll fix that one hilltop...there is another one next to it that is a bit confused but I think it's in an area that was very hazy and I'm not sure whether it's on a stitch line or not...I think not.  Also, the horizon in that part of the world is anything but horizontal, with a number of ranges of hills/mountains going up and down in various places.  I'd be hard-pressed to figure out what's really flat and what just represents the contours of the ridges.

              Most of the climb is a trail hike up from the Henrys Fork trailhead at about 9,500' to where we camped at about 11,000'.  Once you're over Gunsight Pass, there is a steep bit over an intervening ridge and then a stroll across a plateau near Anderson Pass at about 12,000'.  Then the last 1,500' from 12k to 13.5k is an unrelenting boulder-hop up a 45-degree slope.  Not technically challenging (for a climber) but a real pain to scramble up.  The view from the top is worth it, especially looking down over the other side of the ridge that drops off very steeply into a valley 2,000' below (to the right of the guy in the blue shirt and blue ball cap, sitting on the edge of a rock).
              /s/jar (Alan Ritter, jar@...)
                      http://www.mtritter.org

              On 8/30/2014 12:45 AM, Briar Bentley briarbentley5@... [PanoToolsNG] wrote:

[...]

            • Keith Martin
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 30, 2014
                On 30 Aug 2014, at 17:50, Alan Ritter jar@... [PanoToolsNG]
                wrote:

                > Full-frame as opposed to circular...D200 is a DX-sensor, so the 10.5
                > fills it at 180 corner-to-corner.  Sorry if I confused anyone.

                I think it's a weakness in our terminology! :)

                In terms of the horizon, if you spin the pano around purely horizontally
                you'll get a send of the levelling problem: the distant peak a little to
                the left of the sun seems to be a little too low, and the area behind
                the guy in the baseball cap and shorts is a little too high.
                Then go back to PTGui and look at the equirect preview in the Panorama
                Editor window. You may be able to fix this by simply dragging (and
                perhaps control-dragging) in that window, although this may give you
                other things to fix. :)

                BTW, if you can bear it and have original RAW files, go back and process
                them again to fix chromatic aberration. It's subtle (particularly as
                you're not using this lens shaved on a full-frame sensor) but I do see
                some signs of red/green fringes.

              • Gary Little
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 30, 2014

                  Since I have a FX SLR, I decided to look into the Fisheye. Here is a very good article by Ken Rockwell

                  About DX and FX fisheye lenses:

                  http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/1628af.htm

                  As it turns out, for the FX cameras the 16mm is better and for the DX the 10.5 is better.

                  Hope this helps.

                  Gary

                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 30, 2014

                    On Aug 30, 2014, at 1:08 PM, Alan Ritter jar@... [PanoToolsNG] <PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                    Most of the climb is a trail hike up from the Henrys Fork trailhead at about 9,500' to where we camped at about 11,000'.  Once you're over Gunsight Pass, there is a steep bit over an intervening ridge and then a stroll across a plateau near Anderson Pass at about 12,000'.  Then the last 1,500' from 12k to 13.5k is an unrelenting boulder-hop up a 45-degree slope.  Not technically challenging (for a climber) but a real pain to scramble up.

                    I thought maybe there was a parking lot just out of sight or something, when I saw the guy in sneakers with no socks. If he hiked up 4000’ of elevation that way, I will have to be impressed.

                    John C. Riley

                    Office: (864) 503-5775
                    Cell: (864) 431-7075
                    Home (864) 461-3504

                    email
                    johnriley@...
                    jriley@...
                  • panostar
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 31, 2014
                      Alan, If you confine your control points on the horizontal row of images to features in the far distance where parallax is nil, you will get perfect stitching at the horizon.  You may then have to accept minor parallax problems to deal with in the near features, but these can be dealt with using masks and/or automatically with Smartblend.

                      John
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 31, 2014
                        Am 30.08.2014 05:31, schrieb Alan Ritter:
                        > Earlier in August, some friends and I climbed Kings Peak, 13,528', the
                        > tallest peak in the state of Utah. It was my
                        > 45th of the 50 U.S. state highpoints. The summit pan is at:

                        Impressive! It's a bit unusual far a European to see a summit of a more
                        than 4000m high peak which is not snow covered.

                        An additional small glitch is a visible seam in the sky left of the sun.
                        But apart from that: Well done!

                        > http://www.mtritter.org/highpoints/Utah_2014/Pans/Kings_Peak.htm (Java
                        > version)
                        >
                        > http://www.mtritter.org/highpoints/Utah_2014/Pans/Kings_Peak.htm
                        > (Quicktime version)

                        Fortunately, there is neither a Java nor a Quicktime version. ;-)
                        Both URLs point to the same PTGui generated output which is HTML5 with
                        Flash fallback for older browsers...

                      • Gary Little
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 1, 2014

                          I was wondering how many images you captured for this. Really amazing.

                          When using the fisheye, do you need to do rows of images or is the fisheye

                          Enough for VR?

                          Gary

                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 2, 2014
                            Gary wrote:

                            I was wondering how many images you captured for this. Really amazing.

                            When using the fisheye, do you need to do rows of images or is the fisheye

                            Enough for VR?

                            With a 10.5mm on a Nikon D200 all you need is 1 row of 6 shots all around and possibly one shot for the nadir, and one for the zenith.

                            With the same lens (shaved) on a D800 I need only 4 shots all around, plus one for the nadir (not always).

                                   Uri Cogan
                            http://www.uricogan.com

                            Birds born in cages think that flying is an infirmity.

                               -- Alessandro Jodorowski
                          • Jonathan Smith
                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 2, 2014

                              I just have to ask: is the guy closest to the camera with the dark blue shirt and black cap really on his cell phone? Was there even signal there?

                              Nice climb and shot!

                            • Alan Ritter
                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 2, 2014
                                I typically overshoot by a bit...8 around (portrait orientation) at estimated 45 degree increments plus hand-held zenith and nadir shots.  When I'm using just my hiking staff as a monopod, I prefer to be generous with overlap.  Plus, I find it easier to estimate 45 degree increments than 60 degree increments.  With the D200, the 10.5 fills the DX sensor so the input images are full rectangles.  Lens field of view is just under 90 degrees horizontal, so my estimated 45-degree increments can be off by quite a bit and not matter.

                                Set to manual focus, manual white balance, manual exposure so everything stays consistent.

                                On this one, I just let PTGui select the control points and process through to a set of layers that I assemble in GIMP.  Use the GIMP "alpha channel to mask" function and then tweak the masks on each layer to fix any stitching glitches, partial people, etc.  A typical "fix" was for the flag that is on a short staff down low in the boulders.  I had to make sure that all of the masks but the nadir were clear at that point so I didn't end up with a fractured flag due to its moving with the breeze between different frames that included part or all of it.  I generally put the zenith and nadir shots at the bottom of the layer stack and don't worry about their masks since there isn't any overlap between them.  The rest just get stacked with the first shot I took at the top of the stack and then working down in order from there.  After cleaning up the masks and doing any final retouching (I need to clean the sensor...one dust spot up in the clouds) I export the layered GIMP file back out to a .jpg file and let PTGui generate its Java-viewer web page and Quicktime VR .mov files.  The intermediate GIMP .xcf layered file ends up almost 350 meg, so it helps to have a fast computer with lots of memory.  (Intel i7 CPU, 16 gig of RAM)
                                /s/jar (Alan Ritter, jar@...)
                                        http://www.mtritter.org

                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 2, 2014
                                  Interestingly, depending on your carrier, you could get a signal from the summit.  Kings Peak is line of sight from the top of the Alta Ski area up Big Cottonwood Canyon out of Sandy, Utah.  You can't get to Kings from Alta easily, though...the normal approach is coming south from the Henrys Fork trailhead that is a mile or so into Utah, south of the Utah/Wyoming border.
                                  /s/jar (Alan Ritter, jar@...)
                                          http://www.mtritter.org

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Sep 2, 2014
                                    this jodrowski guy didn;t have everybody "home"?

                                    A Kielcz
                                    Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.