How do they do it?

  • Pawel Rozenek
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 15, 2014

      Hi All,

      I have found a website (link below) with panoramic aerial views like 10…12m above streets, so it could not be taken from a chopper.

      How do they raise the camera so high? RC models? Very long rods or masts?

      Please let me know what you think :)

      Example here:

      http://www.round.me/tour/159/view/270/

    • Uri Cogan
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 15, 2014
        Overhead panoramas can be done using a lone pole, and also by sticking the pole out of a window, etc.

        Another option is to use a remote controlled drone. For examples, see

         www.uricogan.com/home
         www.uricogan.com/field

        Drone: DJI  f550 hexacopter. Camera: GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition. Processing:  PtGUi Pro, Photoshop, KRPano.
        --

                    Uri Cogan
               http://www.uricogan.com

        ***   My Karma Ran Over My Dogma   ***

      • Roger Williams
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 15, 2014

          The answer they use a pole to support the camera at a height well above eye level and use a remote control to fire it.

          Roger W.

          I have found a website (link below) with panoramic aerial views like 10…12m above streets, so it could not be taken from a chopper.

          How do they raise the camera so high? RC models? Very long rods or masts?

          Please let me know what you think :)

          Example here:

          http://www.round.me/tour/159/view/270/

          Image removed by sender.

        • Pawel Rozenek
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 15, 2014
          • 1 Attachment
          • 823 Bytes

          Thanks :-)

          Sent from my Sony Xperia™ smartphone

          ---- 'Roger Williams' roger@... [PanoToolsNG] wrote ----

          Message 5 of 10 , Jun 15, 2014
            where did you fly that drone?

            A Kielcz
            Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

            Message 6 of 10 , Jun 15, 2014
              and stitching is perfect too. wow!

              A Kielcz
              Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

              Message 7 of 10 , Jun 15, 2014
                RC quad copter with a GoPro or other camera

              • Scott Highton
                Message 8 of 10 , Jun 15, 2014
                  Poles and masts are very effective for these sorts of low level overhead views. Some use extendable masts mounted to vehicles to capture views 40'-60' overhead (20 meters), and even higher.

                  Remotely piloted UAS (unmanned aerial systems), such as small quadcopters or other "drones" can be used quite effectively for this, as well. Example:
                  http://www.vrphotography.com/abovesancarlos/

                  Scott Highton
                  Author, Virtual Reality Photography
                  Web: http://www.vrphotography.com
                  E-mail: scott@...
                  Web: http://www.vrphotography.com
                • uricogan
                  Message 9 of 10 , Jun 16, 2014
                    In the air :-)

                    Salt Spring Island, BC, Canada
                  • Keith Martin
                    Message 10 of 10 , Jun 16, 2014
                      On 15 Jun 2014, at 14:10, "A Kielcz roblee007@... [PanoToolsNG]" <PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                      and stitching is perfect too. wow!

                      Hmm. Hard to tell as the panoramas are a total jumbled and distorted mess when I look at them on my iPad. :-/