Test of Nikon FC-E8 (on a modern Canon camera)

  • Michel Thoby
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 29, 2014
      Discussion occurred on some recent threads of this list about the IQ that could possibly be expected nowadays from the FC-E8 on a modern camera…

      I had adapted the Nikon fisheye converter (x 0.21) in front of the EF-S 18-55 mm (Mk 1)! This zoom lens had been delivered as a kit together with the EOS 300D Rebel. After some tests, this "Chimeron" lens combo was shelved a decade ago.

      Today I cleaned it and mounted the Chimeron set at 33 mm and f/13 on a Canon EOS 650D. I shot four images to yield this panorama: http://tinyurl.com/mevflha
      Some more dusting off would probably help a bit...

      Michel
    • Mark Fink
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 29, 2014
        Michel,

        Surprisingly good results - better than I would have expected. Still, is
        this really something you would want to shoot with on a regular basis?
        Thanks for the proof of concept though!

        Mark

        ------------------------------------

        --
      • Michel Thoby
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 30, 2014
          Hi Mark,

          Le 29 avr. 2014 à 18:16, "Mark Fink" <markdfink@...> a écrit :

          Surprisingly good results - better than I would have expected. Still, is
          this really something you would want to shoot with on a regular basis?
          Thanks for the proof of concept though!

          Mark
          While the center is fairly sharp, unacceptable softness is visible on the edge of the circular source image: this is consequently observed on the nadir and zenith of the panorama.
          Amongst the fisheye lens stable that I have collected so far, the FC-E8 is the sole lens that can record a full circular image on the sensor of a cropped sensor (APS-C) camera. Yet this feature is in my opinion not an essential factor. I would deprecate the use of this converter on a regular basis.

          Michel