Olympus 9mm fisheye?

  • Bjørn K Nilssen
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 7, 2014
      Has anyone tested the Olympus 9mm Fisheye body cap lens for panoramas?
      http://robinwong.blogspot.no/2014/02/olympus-9mm-fisheye-body-cap-lens-review.html

      It looks like a very lightweight (and cheap) setup for panos?

      --
      Bjørn K Nilssen - 3D viz & 360 panoramas
    • thuang2
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 7, 2014
        It would be interesting but I think it is only 140 degrees diagonal.  Since it's an all manual lens, you could adapt it easily to a Sony NEX camera with APS-C sensor, and get a 140 degree part circle, but from the photos of the lens, I think the front element is recessed behind the barrel body of the lens, so there isn't much you can do to get it wider than 140 (for example, no shaving).

        But with 140 diagonal on a m4/3 you could possibly shoot 2x rows of 5 @ +40 and -40 with each row half turn from the other, so using a 10-click stop rotator the bottom row would be every odd click and top row would be every even click, or you can also shoot 2x rows 6 instead with matching clicks.

        On an APS-C you can shoot it 2x rows of 4 @ +25 and -25.
      • Bjørn K Nilssen
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 7, 2014
          On Fri, 07 Feb 2014 12:55:24 +0100, <thomashuang2@...> wrote:

          It would be interesting but I think it is only 140 degrees diagonal.  Since it's an all manual lens, you could adapt it easily to a Sony NEX camera with APS-C sensor, and get a 140 degree part circle, but from the photos of the lens, I think the front element is recessed behind the barrel body of the lens, so there isn't much you can do to get it wider than 140 (for example, no shaving).

          But with 140 diagonal on a m4/3 you could possibly shoot 2x rows of 5 @ +40 and -40 with each row half turn from the other, so using a 10-click stop rotator the bottom row would be every odd click and top row would be every even click, or you can also shoot 2x rows 6 instead with matching clicks.

          On an APS-C you can shoot it 2x rows of 4 @ +25 and -25.

          The question is if the fov is diagonal or not?
          Is it always given as diagonal if it is a fisheye lens, or could you read it as horizontal if it is not specifially said to be diagonal?

          --
          Bjørn K Nilssen - 3D viz & 360 panoramas
        • hdrv
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 7, 2014
            Hi all,

            quoting DPreview :