Metapanoramas

  • smnshrwn
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 3, 2014

      Mappings of the sphere to a plane are usually presented as mathematical equations.  These being somewhat daunting I've put together a simple video animation to illustrate in a more graphic way some of the common projections which panorama makers use.

      You will find here a set of different renderings of this metapanorama.  Hopefully somebody here may find it of interest.

       http://vimeo.com/simonsherwin/videos

      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 3, 2014
        Am 03.01.2014 17:21, schrieb simon@...:
        > You will find here a set of different renderings of this metapanorama.
        > Hopefully somebody here may find it of interest.
        >
        > http://vimeo.com/simonsherwin/videos

        Very nice! It would be even better if you'd comment on the different
        projections.

      • Brad Lavins
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 3, 2014
          Wow!  That took a lot of work.  Thank you though.  It really helps me to put it into perspective.

          Brad Lavins

          On Friday, January 3, 2014 12:09 PM, Erik Krause <erik.krause@...> wrote:

          Am 03.01.2014 17:21, schrieb simon@...:
          > You will find here a set of different renderings of this metapanorama.
          > Hopefully somebody here may find it of interest.
          >
          > http://vimeo.com/simonsherwin/videos

          Very nice! It would be even better if you'd comment on the different
          projections.

        • toni.garbasso
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 5, 2014

            Very nice Simon, you perfectly visualized the transformation of a panorama.

            What kind of app did you use to do it?

            Toni

          • wim.koornneef
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 5, 2014

              Simon thanks for sharing your metapanorama videos, I really like them.

              All the best,

              Wim

            • Simon Sherwin
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 5, 2014
                Thanks everybody.
                Greetings Toni.I used Blender.

              • Brad Lavins
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 5, 2014
                  That's great, I use blender all the time.  Have been using it for years.  I have many tutorials, on youtube on how to use blender.

                  On Sunday, January 5, 2014 2:05 PM, Simon Sherwin <simon@...> wrote:

                  Thanks everybody.
                  Greetings Toni.I used Blender.

                • Briar
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 5, 2014

                    This was quite stunning! Briar

                    Mappings of the sphere to a plane are usually presented as mathematical equations.  These being somewhat daunting I've put together a simple video animation to illustrate in a more graphic way some of the common projections which panorama makers use.

                    You will find here a set of different renderings of this metapanorama.  Hopefully somebody here may find it of interest.

                     http://vimeo.com/simonsherwin/videos

                  • Fernando Costa Pinto
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 5, 2014
                      Uau ..I like that ..very very nice ...

                      --
                      71 9906 9966 vivo
                      71 9173 2722 tim
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 6, 2014

                        I am SO impressed!! Can you reveal anything about how this work was created? I would love to lean how to do it!  Please advise.

                        Thanks.

                         -- Peter

                      • Brad Lavins
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 6, 2014
                          Hi Simon,

                          Sure, here is a link to my youtube channel for my blender tutorials.

                          As far as my pano's I haven't uploaded much.  I have uploaded a video pano I created using trial software and 4 gopro hero cams.  I set the cams up in a block formation.  I am working on making a gui in vb.net for using hugin and ffmpeg to strip frames from mpeg videos and stitch them together then convert them back to video.  But I am working on so memory issues I'm having.  Because I can get speed if I don't compress the frames in png format, but then it takes up so much memory for each frame to store it on the hard drive.  But if I compress it then it saves file space but slows the render time.  I have been toying with the idea of writing a python script and doing it all in blender.

                          The link to the pano I created is here: http://youtu.be/rzg-bZkXgQc
                          I also uploaded it to GoPano site here: http://gopa.no/E75

                          On Monday, January 6, 2014 11:17 AM, "peter@..." <peter@...> wrote:

                          I am SO impressed!! Can you reveal anything about how this work was created? I would love to lean how to do it!  Please advise.

                          Thanks.

                           -- Peter

                        • Roger D Williams
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 6, 2014
                            I really enjoyed viewing these panoramas, perhaps because I was personally familiar with many of the locations. They really are splendid. And I am sure the screen movies of different projections morphing into one-another will be of interest to those who are unfamiliar with them. Very well done!

                            Roger W

                            Sent from my iPad

                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 8, 2014

                              As I have said Peter I use Blender 3D modeling software.  http://www.blender.org/  It is free and has a great online community. It takes a bit of learning but its potential seems to me almost without limit.