First 360 3d video for the Oculus Rift

  • panovrx
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 18, 2013
      This French group seems to have published the first 3d 360 video for the Oculus Rift

      and it works pretty well. They duplicate, for history's sake, the location of one of the first motion pictures, a railway station in Paris.

       I say in the comments

      "Yes it definitely works in VR Player and it is amazing to look around 360 in a vertically wide stereo movie. The main issues are 3d glitches in the blending areas and exposure differences in the blending. Their system doesnt seem able to lock exposure across the camera array so there are noticeable dark and light areas. But the sync looks good so they have solved that it seems. With the blend zones, like where the people are standing on the platform you can see the misstitch in the top of the station building above them, and this corresponds to the depth impression being bad in that group. Also the overall depth impression in the scene is subdued. I think better implementations of these concepts will use more cameras, genlock camera modules, more compact rigs -- then close immersive scenes (say 0.5-2m away) will be possible, which is not the case with this system -- and since the Rift is so low res currently it is these close scenes that can have the most impact in 3d."

      Another group, Condition One say  are making a 360 3d movie for the Rift that will be a documentary, a survey of virtual reality activities around the globe -- but they have not released any footage of their system.

    • Jim Watters
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 18, 2013
        Is there a way to watch this footage in 3D using VR Player and anaglyph glasses?

        I could make Side by Side examples work but not this over under.

        The stitching errors caused by parallax is very obvious without seeing it in 3D.

        --
        Jim Watters
        http://photocreations.ca
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 19, 2013
          I managed to get VRPlayer to work with anaglyph glasses and Over/Under source.

          Media | Format = Mono
          Media | Projection = cylinder
          Media | Effects = Anaglyph
          Device | Layout = Mono(Left)
          Device | Distortion = none
          Tools | Plugins | Effects = Anaglyph, Over/Under, Red-Blue

          I thought the 3D effect was pretty good. By pairing the cameras into stereo and then stitching the pairs together means only 6 seams.

          Because the camera rig was left stationary the parallax problems at the seams is mostly hidden. It is very obvious at the seam where the filming crew in mingling.

          Trying my own 3D pano video with inexpensive Mobius cameras. I used 8 cameras spaced about 10° apart. Each camera is recording at 1080P 30fps The stitched portion of the video is reduced down to 1024 wide then the canvas expanded to 360°. I previously tried 30° apart but that was too much. Using the supplied wide angle lens with the Mobius, I think at least 15 cameras are required for 360° 3D video.

          Trying to both eliminate parallax in the stitching but preserve the 3D effect is proving more difficult than I thought.
          I have also discovered a bug in the way VideoStitch handles masks causing artifacts to make there way into the final video.
          https://www.dropbox.com/s/qr9nv76tnidvmzo/3Dmovie.mp4

          I am going to add a steady cam handle to hopefully remove most of the bouncing while recording.

          Jim

          On 2013-11-18 2:17 PM, Jim Watters wrote:

          --
          Jim Watters
          http://photocreations.ca