museum / exhibition app

  • Tudor Jenkins
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 8, 2013

      Hi all,

      it has been many years since I have posted here. Anyway, this summer I produced an iphone/ipad app virtual exhibition that I thought I would share. Panos are not perfect - tight shooting schedule etc, but the point of the app is to work as well as possible on as many devices (ios only) and really get across the feel of visiting the exhibition.

      All feedback welcome as are any suggestions on other projects / collaborations

      Houghton Revisited  -  https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/houghton-revisited/id660913212?mt=8

      Tudor

    • Roger D Williams
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 8, 2013
        This is a splendid tour, the panos may not be perfect but they're close enough for jazz. The descriptions are excellent, just enough detail to be interesting and informative without pedantic overload. The transitions are smooth, and the images looked wonderful on my (non-retina) iPad and my (retina) iPhone 5. I thought some of the images took rather a long time to download. Perhaps they are single, large panoramas in each case, not tiled? I have a very fast connection (100Mb/s)so others may encounter even longer delays.

        I did think you might have made the floor layout into a navigation tool. I see the simplicity and consistency of using the forward-and-back arrows to move from room to room, but I would appreciate the ability to select any particular room after having taken the predetermined route right to the end.

        Roger W

        Sent from my iPad

        On Nov 9, 2013, at 2:05 AM, Tudor Jenkins <tudor@...> wrote:

        Hi all,

        it has been many years since I have posted here. Anyway, this summer I produced an iphone/ipad app virtual exhibition that I thought I would share. Panos are not perfect - tight shooting schedule etc, but the point of the app is to work as well as possible on as many devices (ios only) and really get across the feel of visiting the exhibition.

        All feedback welcome as are any suggestions on other projects / collaborations

        Houghton Revisited  -  https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/houghton-revisited/id660913212?mt=8

        Tudor

      • Bostjan Burger
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 9, 2013
          ...and URL to the Vexibition?

          Bostjan

          Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 10, 2013
              Hi there,

              Sadly the tour was solely commissioned as an app guide to work on iOS so no URL and no Windows. :(
              On a positive front, for those with an iOS device it is free.

              The app has dual functionality of acting as a guide for visitors within the exhibition and also working as a way of marketing the exhibition.

              Roger, thanks for your comments - the content is actually all included with the app but for slower devices like the iPad 1 the first time the app is used, the content is being optimised so it can take a little time for the rooms to load. This is a shame but with apps there are always compromises to be made. With newer devices the loading time should be quick.

              I totally take your comment about the map. It is funny that it tends to be male users who express this sentiment. There is the ability to select rooms in any order with the content button (bottom left) - The fact that you didnt find that makes me want to rethink it.

              Tudor

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 10, 2013

                On Nov 11, 2013, at 7:23 AM, Tudor Jenkins <tudor@...> wrote:

                Hi there,

                Sadly the tour was solely commissioned as an app guide to work on iOS so no URL and no Windows. :(
                On a positive front, for those with an iOS device it is free.

                The app has dual functionality of acting as a guide for visitors within the exhibition and also working as a way of marketing the exhibition.

                How long is the exhibition running. The app motivated me to visit the exhibition, but I won't be in the UK again until next summer, and it expect it will be over well before then.

                Roger, thanks for your comments - the content is actually all included with the app but for slower devices like the iPad 1 the first time the app is used, the content is being optimised so it can take a little time for the rooms to load. This is a shame but with apps there are always compromises to be made. With newer devices the loading time should be quick.

                Mine was an iPad 2, a device in widespread use and still selling to educational and commercial users who buy in quantity and for whom price is very important. I found the delay quite acceptable but wondered about others with slower connections. But if this is some kind of processing time it will be less dependent on connection speed, or perhaps independent of it.

                I totally take your comment about the map. It is funny that it tends to be male users who express this sentiment. There is the ability to select rooms in any order with the content button (bottom left) - The fact that you didnt find that makes me want to rethink it.

                I wouldn't take my inability to find it as requiring any rethinking. My wife has long given up asking me to find anything that has been mislaid...

                One thing puzzled me. There were paintings that could not be loaned for the exhibition, but they still appeared to be hanging on the walls. How did you handle that? Was it done with reproductions? Or am I mistaken?

                Roger W