Re: [PanoToolsNG] PTMac

  • Robert C. Fisher
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 4, 2007
      OK with the Sigma zoom tape the focal length off at the widest
      setting (I do this because most zooms tend to move a bit with all the
      glass as you tilt), set your focus and tape off. This is just to make
      sure you don't bump the focus ring and change the focus. You should
      be able to shoot a spherical VR with 10 images at 0, 6-8 at +/-40
      degrees and one each 90 degrees for the zenith and nadir shots. I use
      a 14mm some times and I have found that 5 shots tilted up/down isn't
      quite enough, 10 is too many but it makes it simpler. convert and
      import into PTMac, you don't need to deal with Dfish that is for
      fisheye lenses but with PTMac it will do all the corrections you
      need. There are several tutorials on how to stitch with PTMac you
      just need to interpolate the info for your lens, the yaw, pitch &
      roll settings for your pano. Also make sure you test the nodal point
      for your lens/camera combo so you have no parallax error as you
      rotate. There are also tutorials on this around the web.

      This all may seem a bit daunting but take it one step at a time and
      you will get there!

      Good luck!

      On Jan 4, 2007, at 11:44 AM, Minnie Dingle wrote:

      > Hello,
      > I have figured out the cylindrical panorama and have
      > moved on to the sphere.I have a Nikon D200 with a
      > Sigma 17-70mm lens. I assume I can shoot any given
      > space by doing 2 rows of 360 plus a nadir and zenith.
      > I just got the camera(was using a point and shoot) and
      > plan to shoot in portrait position with a pano head.
      > Will I be able to create a full spheric VT by simply
      > stitching in PTMac, fixing the nadir in PS and then
      > importing to Cubic Connector? I see reference to
      > Enblend and Defish... are these necessary tools and if
      > so, how do I employ them? I find little tidbits of
      > info on the web, but nothing start to finish. The
      > video from "fromparis" is great but it only covers the
      > 10.5 mm lens(on my wish list). How difficult will it
      > be for me to create an equirectangular image without a
      > fisheye lens?? I greatly appreciate any help!!
      > Thanks!
      Cheers
      Robert C. Fisher
      VR Photography/Cinematography
    • Hans Nyberg
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 4, 2007
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Minnie Dingle <minniedingle@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        > I have figured out the cylindrical panorama and have
        > moved on to the sphere.I have a Nikon D200 with a
        > Sigma 17-70mm lens. I assume I can shoot any given
        > space by doing 2 rows of 360 plus a nadir and zenith.
        > I just got the camera(was using a point and shoot) and
        > plan to shoot in portrait position with a pano head.
        > Will I be able to create a full spheric VT by simply
        > stitching in PTMac, fixing the nadir in PS and then
        > importing to Cubic Connector? I see reference to
        > Enblend and Defish... are these necessary tools and if
        > so, how do I employ them? I find little tidbits of
        > info on the web, but nothing start to finish. The
        > video from "fromparis" is great but it only covers the
        > 10.5 mm lens(on my wish list). How difficult will it
        > be for me to create an equirectangular image without a
        > fisheye lens?? I greatly appreciate any help!!
        > Thanks!

        Ay 17mm you will need 3 rows at zero +45 and-45 +zenith and nadir images.
        You have to shoot 10 images in each row.

        PTMac will easy stitch them with automatic controlpoints if they are made with a spherical
        panohead which is set properly up.
        It is not much different than stitching 6 images around + zenith.
        Just takes much longer time if you output the file in full size which will be around
        8000x16000
        You need Enblend for this and there are 2 versions 1.3 very fast for dual Macs and 2.5
        which is very slow but gives better results especially if you use 8 bit images.

        Use the forum at Kevin. You will get help there for PTMac.

        Hans
        www.panoramas.dk
      • Minnie Dingle
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 4, 2007
          Hi Robert,
          Thanks so much for your speedy reply. I wonder if you
          know where I can find more specific info on setting
          the yaw, pitch and roll?? And the tape idea is a very
          good one...Thanks again,
          Minnie

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Minnie Dingle
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 4, 2007
            Hello Hans,
            Thank you for your reply...I appreciate you must be
            very busy! I will try your suggestions...I wonder what
            you mean by "use the forum at Kevin"...I would like to
            follow a forum.
            Thank you for your help!!
            Minnie

            http://mail.yahoo.com