Inserting a tour into a PDF

  • Mark D. Fink
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 8, 2013

      Is there a way to insert a tour into a PDF? Not a link to the tour, but the embedded tour itself? I'm thinking of creating a brochure in PDF format that will show an interactive tour directly. That way, when they open the PDF, they can click on the tour and start navigating. Obviously, this would only work if they were connected to the Internet, but I think it could be an interesting way to combine a sales pitch and a test drive without sending them out to a link.

      Mark

    • pollokiller
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 8, 2013

        Probably exporting your tour as swf file and embedding it could work. I´ve done that for PPT presentations.

        Best regards.

        ---In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, <panotoolsng@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Is there a way to insert a tour into a PDF? Not a link to the tour, but the embedded tour itself? I'm thinking of creating a brochure in PDF format that will show an interactive tour directly. That way, when they open the PDF, they can click on the tour and start navigating. Obviously, this would only work if they were connected to the Internet, but I think it could be an interesting way to combine a sales pitch and a test drive without sending them out to a link.

        Mark

      • Thomas Bredenfeld
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 8, 2013
          with newer version of acrobat pro you can embed a tour directly into a
          pdf. if it's completely self-contained tour in one single swf it runs
          offline.
          such a self-contained tour can be easily produced with pano2vr.

          keep in mind that such a pdf is generally playable by anyone, but only
          with with adobe reader, not with other pdf readers like mac os x
          preview. interface elements in the pano or tour should respect the size
          of the frame in which the swf is placed in. ... and of course the file
          size of the swf adds up to the pdf size.

          hope this helps
          best
          thomas

          Am 08.10.13 19:49, schrieb Mark D. Fink:
          > Is there a way to insert a tour into a PDF? Not a link to the tour, but
          > the embedded tour itself? I'm thinking of creating a brochure in PDF
          > format that will show an interactive tour directly. That way, when they
          > open the PDF, they can click on the tour and start navigating.
          > Obviously, this would only work if they were connected to the Internet,
          > but I think it could be an interesting way to combine a sales pitch and
          > a test drive without sending them out to a link.
          >
          > Mark

        • Mark D. Fink
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 8, 2013
            Hi Thomas,

            That sounds great! I have Adobe Creative Cloud, so I just installed the
            latest version of Acrobat Pro. However, looking at the tour I wanted to use,
            I see that there is a small swf file, then a BUNCH of sub folders and files.
            The tour was created with PanoTour Pro. I'll have to see if there is a way
            in that program to have everything combined into the one swf file.

            Currently, the tour is over 300MB, so maybe this is too ambitious. I'll see
            if I can do a smaller scale tour wrapped into one swf.

            Thanks,

            Mark

            with newer version of acrobat pro you can embed a tour directly into a
            pdf. if it's completely self-contained tour in one single swf it runs
            offline.
            such a self-contained tour can be easily produced with pano2vr.

            keep in mind that such a pdf is generally playable by anyone, but only
            with with adobe reader, not with other pdf readers like mac os x
            preview. interface elements in the pano or tour should respect the size
            of the frame in which the swf is placed in. ... and of course the file
            size of the swf adds up to the pdf size.

            hope this helps
            best
            thomas

            Am 08.10.13 19:49, schrieb Mark D. Fink:
            > Is there a way to insert a tour into a PDF? Not a link to the tour, but
            > the embedded tour itself? I'm thinking of creating a brochure in PDF
            > format that will show an interactive tour directly. That way, when they
            > open the PDF, they can click on the tour and start navigating.
            > Obviously, this would only work if they were connected to the Internet,
            > but I think it could be an interesting way to combine a sales pitch and
            > a test drive without sending them out to a link.
            >
            > Mark

          • Thomas Bredenfeld
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 9, 2013
              hi mark,

              as i prefer pano2vr for this purposes, i'm working intensively with
              krpano too.

              i think it's not possible to include everthing of a panotour pro output
              into single swf, but with krpano it's possible to to that with
              ktpanotools: http://krpano.com/tools/droplets/#makepanosingleswf

              with pano2vr it's working with tours, krpano only can include one pano
              in one swf.

              Am 09.10.13 01:12, schrieb Mark D. Fink:
              > Hi Thomas,
              >
              > That sounds great! I have Adobe Creative Cloud, so I just installed the
              > latest version of Acrobat Pro. However, looking at the tour I wanted to use,
              > I see that there is a small swf file, then a BUNCH of sub folders and files.
              > The tour was created with PanoTour Pro. I'll have to see if there is a way
              > in that program to have everything combined into the one swf file.
              >
              > Currently, the tour is over 300MB, so maybe this is too ambitious. I'll see
              > if I can do a smaller scale tour wrapped into one swf.
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Mark

            • Mark D. Fink
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 9, 2013
                Hi Thomas,

                I just realized we are talking about two different things. Your approach
                physically embeds the swf into the PDF, which I agree would work great for
                an offline tour. But, it adds considerable size to the PDF if I want to
                showcase a large tour, or requires stripping down a tour to the basics.

                What I'm looking to do is put the code below into a PDF so it pulls the data
                from my server.

                <script src="/tours/latalante/swfobject/swfkrpano.js"></script>
                <script>

                embedpano({target:"panoDIV",swf:"/tours/latalante/virtualtour.swf"});
                </script>
                <noscript>
                <object width="800" height="600">
                <embed src="/tours/latalante/virtualtour.swf" width="100%"
                height="600" allowFullScreen="true"></embed>
                </object>
                </noscript>

                Is that possible?

                ------------------------------------

                --
              • Rodrigo Alarcon
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 9, 2013
                  You could use Flashificator to create the tour

                  Rodrigo

                  ------------------------------

                • Thomas Bredenfeld
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 9, 2013
                    i think, this isn't posssible. pdf understands javascript, but only
                    regarding its own objects model (like some adobe apps do). nice for
                    forms and their evaluation (for what this is made for).

                    what you obviuosly need is a html embedding which then embeds a swf
                    which needs an online access from a local file to grab the panorama and
                    everthing else. alone the latter is a no-go for security reasons.

                    for the same reason a standalone local swf with remote pano images is
                    limited by this security restriction. before showing something you need
                    to approve your local file location as trustet. not that elegant for
                    presentation purposes ;-)

                    with adobe air you can go one step further in your desired direction: as
                    these are real apps you've local file access and can embed a broswer
                    window with online access. air apps can be based on flash and/or
                    html/js/css. but you need to build your own app. besides it's only
                    usefull on your own machine, as others need to install this app which
                    needs the air runtime installed before.

                    i thing the most reasonable way is to embed a web link into the pdf to
                    fire up the browser pointing to your remote showcase site. not that
                    elegant, but working reliable.

                    cheers

                  • Mark D. Fink
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 9, 2013
                      I really appreciate all the thought you've put into this. What I might do is
                      put a screen grab in the PDF that matches what the page will look like and
                      make that a clickable link.

                      Thanks again,

                      Mark

                      i think, this isn't posssible. pdf understands javascript, but only
                      regarding its own objects model (like some adobe apps do). nice for
                      forms and their evaluation (for what this is made for).

                      what you obviuosly need is a html embedding which then embeds a swf
                      which needs an online access from a local file to grab the panorama and
                      everthing else. alone the latter is a no-go for security reasons.

                      for the same reason a standalone local swf with remote pano images is
                      limited by this security restriction. before showing something you need
                      to approve your local file location as trustet. not that elegant for
                      presentation purposes ;-)

                      with adobe air you can go one step further in your desired direction: as
                      these are real apps you've local file access and can embed a broswer
                      window with online access. air apps can be based on flash and/or
                      html/js/css. but you need to build your own app. besides it's only
                      usefull on your own machine, as others need to install this app which
                      needs the air runtime installed before.

                      i thing the most reasonable way is to embed a web link into the pdf to
                      fire up the browser pointing to your remote showcase site. not that
                      elegant, but working reliable.

                      cheers

                      Am 09.10.13 17:18, schrieb Mark D. Fink:
                      > Hi Thomas,
                      >
                      > I just realized we are talking about two different things. Your approach
                      > physically embeds the swf into the PDF, which I agree would work great for
                      > an offline tour. But, it adds considerable size to the PDF if I want to
                      > showcase a large tour, or requires stripping down a tour to the basics.
                      >
                      > What I'm looking to do is put the code below into a PDF so it pulls the
                      data
                      > from my server.
                      >
                      > <script src="/tours/latalante/swfobject/swfkrpano.js"></script>
                      > <script>
                      >
                      > embedpano({target:"panoDIV",swf:"/tours/latalante/virtualtour.swf"});
                      > </script>
                      > <noscript>
                      > <object width="800" height="600">
                      > <embed src="/tours/latalante/virtualtour.swf" width="100%"
                      > height="600" allowFullScreen="true"></embed>
                      > </object>
                      > </noscript>
                      >
                      > Is that possible?
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      >
                      > Mark

                      10/07/13

                      ------------------------------------

                      --
                    • jrgen_schrader
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 18, 2013
                        "with pano2vr it's working with tours, krpano only can include one pano in one swf."Sorry, but that is completely nonsense. Seems noone is reading this group anymore, (no surprise with such a shitty mobile interface from yahoo) otherwise this would have been corrected earlier :-)Cheers Jürgen
                      • Thomas Bredenfeld
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 19, 2013
                          Am 19.10.13 07:57, schrieb panorama@...:
                          > "with pano2vr it's working with tours, krpano only can include one pano
                          > in one swf." Sorry, but that is completely nonsense.

                          maybe you're able to share your wealth of knowledge with the lists
                          members and which wisdom allows you to qualify others users postings in
                          this way.

                          leaving your post without any explanation maybe isn't very helpful to
                          other readers and just not very much more than only offending.
                          everbody here is always prepared to learn from the real masters.

                          > Seems noone is
                          > reading this group anymore, (no surprise with such a shitty mobile
                          > interface from yahoo) otherwise this would have been corrected earlier
                          > :-) Cheers Jürgen

                        • jrgen_schrader
                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 19, 2013

                            Everyone who uses the krpano protect tool will easily find out that - even by simple dragging and dropping - all files of a tour can be integrated into one single swf. No wisdom, no magic, no secret doors involved. And there's a lot more to discover.

                            Enjoy your day

                            Jürgen

                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 26, 2013
                              Am 19.10.2013 07:57, schrieb panorama@...:

                              > no surprise with such a shitty mobile interface from yahoo

                              You can read and post on nabble, which should be much better (although
                              perhaps not perfect): http://panotoolsng.586017.n4.nabble.com/

                              You can even customize maximum message width and font size there...