RE: [PanoToolsNG] RE: New Magic Lantern breakthrough -- dual ISO

  • Sacha Griffin
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 8, 2013

      That looks better. Really nice.

      I wonder if those color artifacts came from another part of the process. Compression maybe.

      If would be helpful to set your maxpixelzoom to 2 also. And compare a version processed manually with acr to gauge the true gain in quality that can be achieved.

      For that dual iso shot… you expose for the highlights?

      Sacha

      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 8, 2013

        > That looks better. Really nice.
        >
        > I wonder if those color artifacts came from another part of the process. Compression maybe.
        >

        > http://www.mediavr.com/botgardens/botgardens1.htm

        With this one I actually extracted three different "exposures" from each DNG before stitching and this gave more detail across all brightness areas -- without having to lighten shadows excessively in postprocessing.

        It is hard to gauge correct exposure by looking at the image on the camera after you have shot it. Each alternate line is dark or light and your eye merges these as you look at the screen into an image that looks much lighter than you will get when you open the processed dng -- in ACR say. You need to expose for a image that appears quite light on the camera.

        In Magic Lantern there are various display options for checking the tonal distribution curves etc and a feature called ETTR (expose to the Right) which is recommended for use with DualISO -- but I havent read up on that stuff yet.

        PeterM
      • Keith Martin
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 9, 2013
          > In Magic Lantern there are various display options for checking the tonal distribution curves etc and a feature called ETTR (expose to the Right) which is recommended for use with DualISO -- but I havent read up on that stuff yet.

          ETTR is an old technique – well, old compared to Magic Lantern builds at least – that aims to get the most from digital sensors. Photos taken using the ETTR approach need to be processed to adjust the final appearance down from the slight over-exposed appearance. But it takes practise to do this while not actually clipping highlights. (Ones you don't want clipped, anyway.)

          I don't know how precisely this maps to the Magic Lantern feature, but it's definitely worth exploring.

          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 9, 2013
            Am 09.09.2013 20:07, schrieb Keith Martin:
            > ETTR is an old technique – well, old compared to Magic Lantern builds
            > at least – that aims to get the most from digital sensors. Photos
            > taken using the ETTR approach need to be processed to adjust the
            > final appearance down from the slight over-exposed appearance. But it
            > takes practise to do this while not actually clipping highlights.
            > (Ones you don't want clipped, anyway.)
            >
            > I don't know how precisely this maps to the Magic Lantern feature,
            > but it's definitely worth exploring.

            Precisely. With the exception that ML can show you the raw histogram,
            how near you are to the right side of the histogram and even do ETTR
            automatically. On request the even write a XMP file with the exposure
            correction needed in order to get standard exposure.

          • Luca Vascon
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 10, 2013
              Is the function avaliable to 600D too???

              2013/9/9 Keith Martin <keith@...>
              > In Magic Lantern there are various display options for checking the tonal distribution curves etc and a feature called ETTR (expose to the Right) which is recommended for use with DualISO -- but I havent read up on that stuff yet.

              ETTR is an old technique – well, old compared to Magic Lantern builds at least – that aims to get the most from digital sensors. Photos taken using the ETTR approach need to be processed to adjust the final appearance down from the slight over-exposed appearance. But it takes practise to do this while not actually clipping highlights. (Ones you don't want clipped, anyway.)

              I don't know how precisely this maps to the Magic Lantern feature, but it's definitely worth exploring.

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

              Luca Vascon.
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 11, 2013
                Am 10.09.2013 09:06, schrieb Luca Vascon:
                > Is the function avaliable to 600D too???

                Auto ETTR? Apparently it does:
                http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5494.0

                Recent nightly build: http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/

                Perhaps you need the raw-rec module: