Re: New Magic Lantern breakthrough -- dual ISO

  • panovrx
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 8, 2013
      I said ...>>(This new Yahoo interface is driving me crazy!)>>
      You can revert to the old interface on Firefox (for the time being at least) by installing this "moderation" plugin
      http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/moderationplugin/
      See this for the flak about the changes
      http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/09/03/yahoo_groups_neo_design_upsets_users/

      PeterM
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 8, 2013
        Am 08.09.2013 11:14, schrieb panovrx:
        > I said ...>>(This new Yahoo interface is driving me crazy!)>>
        > You can revert to the old interface on Firefox (for the time being at least) by installing this "moderation" plugin
        > http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/moderationplugin/
        > See this for the flak about the changes
        > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/09/03/yahoo_groups_neo_design_upsets_users/

        Read and write on Nabble: http://panotoolsng.586017.n4.nabble.com/

      • Sacha Griffin
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 8, 2013

          That looks better. Really nice.

          I wonder if those color artifacts came from another part of the process. Compression maybe.

          If would be helpful to set your maxpixelzoom to 2 also. And compare a version processed manually with acr to gauge the true gain in quality that can be achieved.

          For that dual iso shot… you expose for the highlights?

          Sacha

          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 8, 2013

            > That looks better. Really nice.
            >
            > I wonder if those color artifacts came from another part of the process. Compression maybe.
            >

            > http://www.mediavr.com/botgardens/botgardens1.htm

            With this one I actually extracted three different "exposures" from each DNG before stitching and this gave more detail across all brightness areas -- without having to lighten shadows excessively in postprocessing.

            It is hard to gauge correct exposure by looking at the image on the camera after you have shot it. Each alternate line is dark or light and your eye merges these as you look at the screen into an image that looks much lighter than you will get when you open the processed dng -- in ACR say. You need to expose for a image that appears quite light on the camera.

            In Magic Lantern there are various display options for checking the tonal distribution curves etc and a feature called ETTR (expose to the Right) which is recommended for use with DualISO -- but I havent read up on that stuff yet.

            PeterM
          • Keith Martin
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 9, 2013
              > In Magic Lantern there are various display options for checking the tonal distribution curves etc and a feature called ETTR (expose to the Right) which is recommended for use with DualISO -- but I havent read up on that stuff yet.

              ETTR is an old technique – well, old compared to Magic Lantern builds at least – that aims to get the most from digital sensors. Photos taken using the ETTR approach need to be processed to adjust the final appearance down from the slight over-exposed appearance. But it takes practise to do this while not actually clipping highlights. (Ones you don't want clipped, anyway.)

              I don't know how precisely this maps to the Magic Lantern feature, but it's definitely worth exploring.

              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 9, 2013
                Am 09.09.2013 20:07, schrieb Keith Martin:
                > ETTR is an old technique – well, old compared to Magic Lantern builds
                > at least – that aims to get the most from digital sensors. Photos
                > taken using the ETTR approach need to be processed to adjust the
                > final appearance down from the slight over-exposed appearance. But it
                > takes practise to do this while not actually clipping highlights.
                > (Ones you don't want clipped, anyway.)
                >
                > I don't know how precisely this maps to the Magic Lantern feature,
                > but it's definitely worth exploring.

                Precisely. With the exception that ML can show you the raw histogram,
                how near you are to the right side of the histogram and even do ETTR
                automatically. On request the even write a XMP file with the exposure
                correction needed in order to get standard exposure.

              • Luca Vascon
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 10, 2013
                  Is the function avaliable to 600D too???

                  2013/9/9 Keith Martin <keith@...>
                  > In Magic Lantern there are various display options for checking the tonal distribution curves etc and a feature called ETTR (expose to the Right) which is recommended for use with DualISO -- but I havent read up on that stuff yet.

                  ETTR is an old technique – well, old compared to Magic Lantern builds at least – that aims to get the most from digital sensors. Photos taken using the ETTR approach need to be processed to adjust the final appearance down from the slight over-exposed appearance. But it takes practise to do this while not actually clipping highlights. (Ones you don't want clipped, anyway.)

                  I don't know how precisely this maps to the Magic Lantern feature, but it's definitely worth exploring.

                  <*> Your email settings:
                      Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                      (Yahoo! ID required)

                  <*> To change settings via email:
                      PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

                  Luca Vascon.
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 11, 2013
                    Am 10.09.2013 09:06, schrieb Luca Vascon:
                    > Is the function avaliable to 600D too???

                    Auto ETTR? Apparently it does:
                    http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5494.0

                    Recent nightly build: http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/

                    Perhaps you need the raw-rec module: