RE: Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: New Magic Lantern breakthrough -- dual ISO

  • panovrx
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 3, 2013

       Well according to this thread some person(s) says it is working with the 600D

      http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7693.msg67148#msg67148

      PeterM

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, <panotoolsng@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      In photo mode???? And for 600D???

      sent through my Android  mobile

      Il giorno 03/set/2013 22:33, "Erik Krause" <erik.krause@...> ha scritto:
      Am 01.09.2013 17:55, schrieb Erik Krause:
      >   However, they improved the interpolation algorithm I guess
      > even further than it was before my holidays...

      Well, they did that, but they discovered how to enable dual ISO for
      other cameras as well. If I understand correctly it not only works on
      5D3 and 7D but now as well on 5D2, 6D and 50D! At least in photo mode.

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 4, 2013
        Am 04.09.2013 08:01, schrieb mediavr@...:
        > Well according to this thread some person(s) says it is working with the 600D
        >
        > http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7693.msg67148#msg67148

        My source was the main thread, first message:
        http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7139
        But this lists the available binaries only. Could well be that it works
        if you compile yourself.

        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 4, 2013
          Am 04.09.2013 00:28, schrieb Luca Vascon:
          > In photo mode????

          Means not for video.

          I tried it on my 5D2, it works. The most extreme combination on this
          camera is ISO 100/1600, higher and lower ISOs are digitally realized
          (dual ISO works by alternating analog ISO for any second scan line). In
          100% zoom there is noticeable colored aliasing along sharp contrasty
          edges, but that is less annoying than HDR ghosts. Shadows are very
          pleasant with very little noise. I think I'll use this quite frequently.

        • panovrx
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 7, 2013

            http://www.mediavr.com/duoiso/duoiso.htm

             Here is a high contrast subject test I did yesterday showing the level of artefacts you get -- see the aliasing on some of the vertical profiles -- like the flag poles. Would be easy enough to retouch out with this subject. (This is from 5 shots in 6 seconds at 100/1600 Duoiso -- with a handheld Canon 8-15mm at 12mm at 1/2000th with a spinning rotator on 5DIII.)

            You definitely have more dynamic range in the dngs you generate but there is so much range it is difficult to compress it using normal Shadow/Highlight etc tools before stitching  -- so here I extracted light and dark jpgs from each dng from the Duoiso CDRs and stitched two light and dark jpg panoramas which I merged with Enfuse with PTGui

            PeterM

            --- In panotoolsng@yahoogroups.com, <erik.krause@...> wrote:

            Am 04.09.2013 00:28, schrieb Luca Vascon:
            > In photo mode????

            Means not for video.

            I tried it on my 5D2, it works. The most extreme combination on this
            camera is ISO 100/1600, higher and lower ISOs are digitally realized
            (dual ISO works by alternating analog ISO for any second scan line). In
            100% zoom there is noticeable colored aliasing along sharp contrasty
            edges, but that is less annoying than HDR ghosts. Shadows are very
            pleasant with very little noise. I think I'll use this quite frequently.

          • Sacha Griffin
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 7, 2013

              I’m not sure I’m digging that too much. The level of color artifacts is extremely high. Lots of red and green offcast color splotches in the midtones and shadows?

              I would be interested to see how it compares to a normally processed image.

              Best Regards,

              Sacha Griffin

              http://www.seeit360.com

              http://twitter.com/SeeIt360

              http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360

              IM: sachagriffin007@...

              Office: 404-551-4275

              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 8, 2013

                 (This new Yahoo interface is driving me crazy!)

                Sacha says -- can he see with and without DualISO samples

                there are lots of samples in the original Magic Lantern thread about it eg.

                http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7139.msg59847#msg59847

                here is another panorama with it -- a garden in the sunshine -- this is the kind of thing that is often impossible with standard HDR bracketing because of branches moving etc

                This is 100/1600ISO also

                http://www.mediavr.com/botgardens/botgardens1.htm

                PeterM

                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 8, 2013
                  I said ...>>(This new Yahoo interface is driving me crazy!)>>
                  You can revert to the old interface on Firefox (for the time being at least) by installing this "moderation" plugin
                  http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/moderationplugin/
                  See this for the flak about the changes
                  http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/09/03/yahoo_groups_neo_design_upsets_users/

                  PeterM
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 8, 2013
                    Am 08.09.2013 11:14, schrieb panovrx:
                    > I said ...>>(This new Yahoo interface is driving me crazy!)>>
                    > You can revert to the old interface on Firefox (for the time being at least) by installing this "moderation" plugin
                    > http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/moderationplugin/
                    > See this for the flak about the changes
                    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/09/03/yahoo_groups_neo_design_upsets_users/

                    Read and write on Nabble: http://panotoolsng.586017.n4.nabble.com/

                  • Sacha Griffin
                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 8, 2013

                      That looks better. Really nice.

                      I wonder if those color artifacts came from another part of the process. Compression maybe.

                      If would be helpful to set your maxpixelzoom to 2 also. And compare a version processed manually with acr to gauge the true gain in quality that can be achieved.

                      For that dual iso shot… you expose for the highlights?

                      Sacha

                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 8, 2013

                        > That looks better. Really nice.
                        >
                        > I wonder if those color artifacts came from another part of the process. Compression maybe.
                        >

                        > http://www.mediavr.com/botgardens/botgardens1.htm

                        With this one I actually extracted three different "exposures" from each DNG before stitching and this gave more detail across all brightness areas -- without having to lighten shadows excessively in postprocessing.

                        It is hard to gauge correct exposure by looking at the image on the camera after you have shot it. Each alternate line is dark or light and your eye merges these as you look at the screen into an image that looks much lighter than you will get when you open the processed dng -- in ACR say. You need to expose for a image that appears quite light on the camera.

                        In Magic Lantern there are various display options for checking the tonal distribution curves etc and a feature called ETTR (expose to the Right) which is recommended for use with DualISO -- but I havent read up on that stuff yet.

                        PeterM
                      • Keith Martin
                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 9, 2013
                          > In Magic Lantern there are various display options for checking the tonal distribution curves etc and a feature called ETTR (expose to the Right) which is recommended for use with DualISO -- but I havent read up on that stuff yet.

                          ETTR is an old technique – well, old compared to Magic Lantern builds at least – that aims to get the most from digital sensors. Photos taken using the ETTR approach need to be processed to adjust the final appearance down from the slight over-exposed appearance. But it takes practise to do this while not actually clipping highlights. (Ones you don't want clipped, anyway.)

                          I don't know how precisely this maps to the Magic Lantern feature, but it's definitely worth exploring.

                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 9, 2013
                            Am 09.09.2013 20:07, schrieb Keith Martin:
                            > ETTR is an old technique – well, old compared to Magic Lantern builds
                            > at least – that aims to get the most from digital sensors. Photos
                            > taken using the ETTR approach need to be processed to adjust the
                            > final appearance down from the slight over-exposed appearance. But it
                            > takes practise to do this while not actually clipping highlights.
                            > (Ones you don't want clipped, anyway.)
                            >
                            > I don't know how precisely this maps to the Magic Lantern feature,
                            > but it's definitely worth exploring.

                            Precisely. With the exception that ML can show you the raw histogram,
                            how near you are to the right side of the histogram and even do ETTR
                            automatically. On request the even write a XMP file with the exposure
                            correction needed in order to get standard exposure.

                          • Luca Vascon
                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 10, 2013
                              Is the function avaliable to 600D too???

                              2013/9/9 Keith Martin <keith@...>
                              > In Magic Lantern there are various display options for checking the tonal distribution curves etc and a feature called ETTR (expose to the Right) which is recommended for use with DualISO -- but I havent read up on that stuff yet.

                              ETTR is an old technique – well, old compared to Magic Lantern builds at least – that aims to get the most from digital sensors. Photos taken using the ETTR approach need to be processed to adjust the final appearance down from the slight over-exposed appearance. But it takes practise to do this while not actually clipping highlights. (Ones you don't want clipped, anyway.)

                              I don't know how precisely this maps to the Magic Lantern feature, but it's definitely worth exploring.

                              <*> Your email settings:
                                  Individual Email | Traditional

                              <*> To change settings online go to:
                                  (Yahoo! ID required)

                              <*> To change settings via email:
                                  PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

                              Luca Vascon.
                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 11, 2013
                                Am 10.09.2013 09:06, schrieb Luca Vascon:
                                > Is the function avaliable to 600D too???

                                Auto ETTR? Apparently it does:
                                http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5494.0

                                Recent nightly build: http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/

                                Perhaps you need the raw-rec module: