Re: New Magic Lantern breakthrough -- dual ISO

    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 3, 2013
      Am 01.09.2013 17:55, schrieb Erik Krause:
      > However, they improved the interpolation algorithm I guess
      > even further than it was before my holidays...

      Well, they did that, but they discovered how to enable dual ISO for
      other cameras as well. If I understand correctly it not only works on
      5D3 and 7D but now as well on 5D2, 6D and 50D! At least in photo mode.

    • Luca Vascon
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 3, 2013

        In photo mode???? And for 600D???

        sent through my Android  mobile

        Il giorno 03/set/2013 22:33, "Erik Krause" <erik.krause@...> ha scritto:
        Am 01.09.2013 17:55, schrieb Erik Krause:
        >   However, they improved the interpolation algorithm I guess
        > even further than it was before my holidays...

        Well, they did that, but they discovered how to enable dual ISO for
        other cameras as well. If I understand correctly it not only works on
        5D3 and 7D but now as well on 5D2, 6D and 50D! At least in photo mode.

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • panovrx
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 3, 2013

           Well according to this thread some person(s) says it is working with the 600D

          http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7693.msg67148#msg67148

          PeterM

          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 4, 2013
            Am 04.09.2013 08:01, schrieb mediavr@...:
            > Well according to this thread some person(s) says it is working with the 600D
            >
            > http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7693.msg67148#msg67148

            My source was the main thread, first message:
            http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7139
            But this lists the available binaries only. Could well be that it works
            if you compile yourself.

            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 4, 2013
              Am 04.09.2013 00:28, schrieb Luca Vascon:
              > In photo mode????

              Means not for video.

              I tried it on my 5D2, it works. The most extreme combination on this
              camera is ISO 100/1600, higher and lower ISOs are digitally realized
              (dual ISO works by alternating analog ISO for any second scan line). In
              100% zoom there is noticeable colored aliasing along sharp contrasty
              edges, but that is less annoying than HDR ghosts. Shadows are very
              pleasant with very little noise. I think I'll use this quite frequently.

            • panovrx
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 7, 2013

                http://www.mediavr.com/duoiso/duoiso.htm

                 Here is a high contrast subject test I did yesterday showing the level of artefacts you get -- see the aliasing on some of the vertical profiles -- like the flag poles. Would be easy enough to retouch out with this subject. (This is from 5 shots in 6 seconds at 100/1600 Duoiso -- with a handheld Canon 8-15mm at 12mm at 1/2000th with a spinning rotator on 5DIII.)

                You definitely have more dynamic range in the dngs you generate but there is so much range it is difficult to compress it using normal Shadow/Highlight etc tools before stitching  -- so here I extracted light and dark jpgs from each dng from the Duoiso CDRs and stitched two light and dark jpg panoramas which I merged with Enfuse with PTGui

                PeterM

                --- In panotoolsng@yahoogroups.com, <erik.krause@...> wrote:

                Am 04.09.2013 00:28, schrieb Luca Vascon:
                > In photo mode????

                Means not for video.

                I tried it on my 5D2, it works. The most extreme combination on this
                camera is ISO 100/1600, higher and lower ISOs are digitally realized
                (dual ISO works by alternating analog ISO for any second scan line). In
                100% zoom there is noticeable colored aliasing along sharp contrasty
                edges, but that is less annoying than HDR ghosts. Shadows are very
                pleasant with very little noise. I think I'll use this quite frequently.

              • Sacha Griffin
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 7, 2013

                  I’m not sure I’m digging that too much. The level of color artifacts is extremely high. Lots of red and green offcast color splotches in the midtones and shadows?

                  I would be interested to see how it compares to a normally processed image.

                  Best Regards,

                  Sacha Griffin

                  http://www.seeit360.com

                  http://twitter.com/SeeIt360

                  http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360

                  IM: sachagriffin007@...

                  Office: 404-551-4275

                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 8, 2013

                     (This new Yahoo interface is driving me crazy!)

                    Sacha says -- can he see with and without DualISO samples

                    there are lots of samples in the original Magic Lantern thread about it eg.

                    http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7139.msg59847#msg59847

                    here is another panorama with it -- a garden in the sunshine -- this is the kind of thing that is often impossible with standard HDR bracketing because of branches moving etc

                    This is 100/1600ISO also

                    http://www.mediavr.com/botgardens/botgardens1.htm

                    PeterM

                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 8, 2013
                      I said ...>>(This new Yahoo interface is driving me crazy!)>>
                      You can revert to the old interface on Firefox (for the time being at least) by installing this "moderation" plugin
                      http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/moderationplugin/
                      See this for the flak about the changes
                      http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/09/03/yahoo_groups_neo_design_upsets_users/

                      PeterM
                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 8, 2013
                        Am 08.09.2013 11:14, schrieb panovrx:
                        > I said ...>>(This new Yahoo interface is driving me crazy!)>>
                        > You can revert to the old interface on Firefox (for the time being at least) by installing this "moderation" plugin
                        > http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/moderationplugin/
                        > See this for the flak about the changes
                        > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/09/03/yahoo_groups_neo_design_upsets_users/

                        Read and write on Nabble: http://panotoolsng.586017.n4.nabble.com/

                      • Sacha Griffin
                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 8, 2013

                          That looks better. Really nice.

                          I wonder if those color artifacts came from another part of the process. Compression maybe.

                          If would be helpful to set your maxpixelzoom to 2 also. And compare a version processed manually with acr to gauge the true gain in quality that can be achieved.

                          For that dual iso shot… you expose for the highlights?

                          Sacha

                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 8, 2013

                            > That looks better. Really nice.
                            >
                            > I wonder if those color artifacts came from another part of the process. Compression maybe.
                            >

                            > http://www.mediavr.com/botgardens/botgardens1.htm

                            With this one I actually extracted three different "exposures" from each DNG before stitching and this gave more detail across all brightness areas -- without having to lighten shadows excessively in postprocessing.

                            It is hard to gauge correct exposure by looking at the image on the camera after you have shot it. Each alternate line is dark or light and your eye merges these as you look at the screen into an image that looks much lighter than you will get when you open the processed dng -- in ACR say. You need to expose for a image that appears quite light on the camera.

                            In Magic Lantern there are various display options for checking the tonal distribution curves etc and a feature called ETTR (expose to the Right) which is recommended for use with DualISO -- but I havent read up on that stuff yet.

                            PeterM
                          • Keith Martin
                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 9, 2013
                              > In Magic Lantern there are various display options for checking the tonal distribution curves etc and a feature called ETTR (expose to the Right) which is recommended for use with DualISO -- but I havent read up on that stuff yet.

                              ETTR is an old technique – well, old compared to Magic Lantern builds at least – that aims to get the most from digital sensors. Photos taken using the ETTR approach need to be processed to adjust the final appearance down from the slight over-exposed appearance. But it takes practise to do this while not actually clipping highlights. (Ones you don't want clipped, anyway.)

                              I don't know how precisely this maps to the Magic Lantern feature, but it's definitely worth exploring.

                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 9, 2013
                                Am 09.09.2013 20:07, schrieb Keith Martin:
                                > ETTR is an old technique – well, old compared to Magic Lantern builds
                                > at least – that aims to get the most from digital sensors. Photos
                                > taken using the ETTR approach need to be processed to adjust the
                                > final appearance down from the slight over-exposed appearance. But it
                                > takes practise to do this while not actually clipping highlights.
                                > (Ones you don't want clipped, anyway.)
                                >
                                > I don't know how precisely this maps to the Magic Lantern feature,
                                > but it's definitely worth exploring.

                                Precisely. With the exception that ML can show you the raw histogram,
                                how near you are to the right side of the histogram and even do ETTR
                                automatically. On request the even write a XMP file with the exposure
                                correction needed in order to get standard exposure.

                              • Luca Vascon
                                Message 15 of 19 , Sep 10, 2013
                                  Is the function avaliable to 600D too???

                                  2013/9/9 Keith Martin <keith@...>
                                  > In Magic Lantern there are various display options for checking the tonal distribution curves etc and a feature called ETTR (expose to the Right) which is recommended for use with DualISO -- but I havent read up on that stuff yet.

                                  ETTR is an old technique – well, old compared to Magic Lantern builds at least – that aims to get the most from digital sensors. Photos taken using the ETTR approach need to be processed to adjust the final appearance down from the slight over-exposed appearance. But it takes practise to do this while not actually clipping highlights. (Ones you don't want clipped, anyway.)

                                  I don't know how precisely this maps to the Magic Lantern feature, but it's definitely worth exploring.

                                  <*> Your email settings:
                                      Individual Email | Traditional

                                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                                      (Yahoo! ID required)

                                  <*> To change settings via email:
                                      PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

                                  Luca Vascon.
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Sep 11, 2013
                                    Am 10.09.2013 09:06, schrieb Luca Vascon:
                                    > Is the function avaliable to 600D too???

                                    Auto ETTR? Apparently it does:
                                    http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5494.0

                                    Recent nightly build: http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/

                                    Perhaps you need the raw-rec module: