Newbie: my first panopicture, please advise

  • JB
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 4, 2007
      PanoTools NGHello Panogroup, I finally arranged and stitched up my very first pano. For me its a big step while it might appear not to be good to expirienced users. However I would like to learn and get better with the time. All the equipment is new for me. I would love to receive your comments. There's an problem with the button picture which I did not unfish and edit accurately since I'm an PS-beginner as well. Also noise is an issue with the camera. I bought the Nikon D80/Nikon 10,5 Fisheye and I find it very noisy at all iso-levels. The image was done in ISO400 but I get the same results with ISO200. Its 1,1 megabyte in size.

      http://3d-highlights.de/Panorama/Files/JBKeller.mov

      I have two questions regards the pano-technique:

      1) Do I need to unfish the button picture only for editing purposes? If I do so with nikon capture I get perfectly undistorted pictures but I loose a lot of picture information in all corner-arears so I edited the fisheye image which was very complicated. The button picture was done handhelded, not on the tripot.

      2) Is is correct that I get small black holes on the button and top if I use the 4 + 2 picture technique? I do not get them when I do 6 + 2.

      3) Is is correct that Apple Cubic Converter can only handle 4 + 2 pictures at the moment? I was not able to figure out how to load more pictures.

      Thanks ahead for all your feedback
      Jeff

    • Pat Swovelin
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 4, 2007
        JB wrote:
        > PanoTools NGHello Panogroup, I finally arranged and stitched up my
        > very first pano. For me its a big step while it might appear not to be
        > good to expirienced users. However I would like to learn and get
        > better with the time. All the equipment is new for me. I would love to
        > receive your comments. There's an problem with the button picture
        > which I did not unfish and edit accurately since I'm an PS-beginner as
        > well. Also noise is an issue with the camera. I bought the Nikon
        > D80/Nikon 10,5 Fisheye and I find it very noisy at all iso-levels. The
        > image was done in ISO400 but I get the same results with ISO200. Its
        > 1,1 megabyte in size.
        >
        > http://3d-highlights.de/Panorama/Files/JBKeller.mov
        >
        > I have two questions regards the pano-technique:
        >
        > 1) Do I need to unfish the button picture only for editing purposes?
        > If I do so with nikon capture I get perfectly undistorted pictures but
        > I loose a lot of picture information in all corner-arears so I edited
        > the fisheye image which was very complicated. The button picture was
        > done handhelded, not on the tripot.

        You don't have to defish the images, just use
        PTGui (for the Mac) http://www.ptgui.com (highly recommended) or
        PTMac http://www.kekus.com/software/ptmac.html and it'll do all of that
        for you.

        > 2) Is is correct that I get small black holes on the button and top if
        > I use the 4 + 2 picture technique? I do not get them when I do 6 + 2.

        You shouldn't have a hole in the Zenith or the Nadir when shooting 4+2
        but you'll have much better horizontal overlap if you shoot 6+2.

        > 3) Is is correct that Apple Cubic Converter can only handle 4 + 2
        > pictures at the moment? I was not able to figure out how to load more
        > pictures.
        >
        > Thanks ahead for all your feedback
        > Jeff

        Pat Swovelin
        Cool Guy @ Large
      • John Houghton
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 4, 2007
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "JB" <subscriber02@...> wrote:

          > 1) Do I need to unfish the button picture only for editing
          > purposes? If I do so with nikon capture I get perfectly undistorted
          > pictures but I loose a lot of picture information in all corner-
          > arears so I edited the fisheye image which was very complicated.
          > The button picture was done handhelded, not on the tripot.

          Jeff, Your pano isn't too bad - I've seen far worse first attempts.
          The poor stitching in the floor is the main fault. The term "button
          picture" is not one I am familiar with. It's more commonly called
          the down shot or nadir image. When it's taken with the camera off
          the tripod, it is usual to merge it into the main panorama using
          Photoshop. This is far easier to do using rectilinear views
          extracted from the panorama and nadir images. CubicConverter will
          provide the nadir view from the panorama, i.e. the bottom face of the
          cube. The rectilinear view from the nadir image can be generated
          using a variety of defishing techniques, using PTMac, PTGui, Defish,
          Nikon Capture etc. Merging the two images is done with layers and the
          Edit->Transform tools. Matching brightness all round the patch area
          is tricky. Creating graduated selections using quickmask mode is
          useful for adjusting the brightness, hue etc. of one side of an image
          without altering the other side. After the images have been
          successfully merged, the result is put back into CubicConverter to
          replace the bottom face of the cube. I've never used a Mac myself,
          but the process is described in part 8 of this tutorial:

          http://www.panomundo.com/panos/howto/workflow_index.html

          There are also tutorials on the wiki at http://wiki.panotools.org/

          > 2) Is is correct that I get small black holes on the button and top
          > if I use the 4 + 2 picture technique? I do not get them when I do 6
          > + 2.

          The 4 + 2 doesn't work for your lens/camera combination because the
          hfov (in portrait orientation) is <90 degrees.

          > 3) Is is correct that Apple Cubic Converter can only handle 4 + 2
          > pictures at the moment? I was not able to figure out how to load
          > more pictures.

          Why would you want CubicConverter to handle more than 4 + 2
          pictures? A cube has 6 faces. Your 6 + 2 camera images are stitched
          into a 360x180 equirectangular image that is then input to
          CubicConverter to generate the 6 cube faces.

          John
        • Alessandro Ugazio
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 5, 2007
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "JB" <subscriber02@...> wrote:
            > I bought the Nikon D80/Nikon 10,5 Fisheye and I find it very noisy at all iso-levels.

            A D80 noisy? You must have seen the D50!

            Nikons seem to be a bit noisier than other brands, but when shooting in low light you
            can't expect crisp results in the shadows, unless you make bracketed shots leaving long
            exposures at 100 ISO for shadow areas.

            > 1) Do I need to unfish the button picture only for editing purposes?

            No, if you take nadir shots with camera still mounted on tripod, you can generate excellent
            nadirs that you can stitch together with the other shots

            <http://www.ziouga.it/JPEG/Workflow.jpg>
            <http://www.ziouga.it/JPEG/NadirShot.jpg>

            result here:
            <http://www.ziouga.it/Sardegna/Sardegna2006/LuccaAnfiteatro/LuccaAnfiteatro.html>

            This is my usual workflow.
            There are many advantages in making a patched nadir BEFORE stitching: you work at
            original resolution, panohead colors (usually black or white) won't be blended with shot
            details, less postwork between CubicConverter and Photoshop, less interpolations and loss
            of quality, etc.

            > 2) Is is correct that I get small black holes on the button and top

            I personally learned a lot of things simply doing this tutorial:
            <http://www.kekus.com/tutorials/download/10_5mm_ptmac_tutorial.dmg>

            > 3) Is is correct that Apple Cubic Converter

            CubicConverter isn't Apple... :)

            Greetings
            Alessandro Ugazio
            <http://www.ziouga.it>