Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Horizontal banding in blue sky with PTGui

  • Bob Masters
    Message 1 of 28 , Aug 7 11:41 AM
      Canon 5D Mk II   ..OK I'll send you the .pts too.

      Thanks Erik

      On 7 Aug 2013, at 20:21, Erik Krause wrote:

      Am 07.08.2013 20:18, schrieb Robert Masters:
      The camera was in portrait mode, mounted on a Seitz Roundshot VR
      Drive.

      And what camera?

      Tomorrow I'll send you a link with the finished gigaphoto image so
      you can see the banding in the sky. I'll also post a few of the
      individual images if that helps.

      That would help, yes. Perhaps you could also provide your project file
      (just the .pts)?

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
         (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
         PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

         http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Steve Sheridan
      Message 2 of 28 , Aug 7 1:03 PM

        Mark Fink is right. If what you’re talking about is large horizontal bands of color levels it is almost certainly is bit depth related. It has nothing to do with your camera, its orientation, mount, or interpolators. Trace it back to the point where you can first see it and that’s where you will find the source of your problem. If you can’t see it in your RAW files or tiff conversions why would you think it’s camera related? If you are using uneven exposures going into PTGUI, it might be caused by uneven blending. It’s hard to say without seeing some examples. I honestly don’t know where people come up with some of these theories. Color banding caused by shooting in portrait mode, really? I’m sure thousands of news, advertising, portrait, and architectural photographers would get a good laugh out of that one. I’ve been shooting with SLRs, rangefinders, twin lens reflex, and view cameras for over forty years and I’ve never heard of it or seen it. If it’s only apparent in panorama related situations then I would assume it has something to do with the panorama creation process. Please show us some samples.

        Steve Sheridan

        Message 3 of 28 , Aug 8 1:40 AM
          Hi Mark, Erik & Steve

          The gigaphoto has 4 rows, 11 images in each row, they are all 8bit Tiffs, all shot at the same exposure and aperture.

          The banding is NOT visible in each individual image, it only becomes apparent in the final stitched image.

          The banding is not uniform across the whole stitched image, it would appear that each individual photo is producing it's own banding.

          Erik, I have sent the .pts file to your email address: erik.krause@...

          If you guys need to see anything else, i.e individual adjacent
          sky images please let me know.

          Regards

          Bob

                                                      ---------------------------------------

[...]

          Bob Masters fotógrafo
          Email: bob@...
          Web:   http://www.bobmastersphotography.com
          Tel:     +34 93 428 4357

        • Mark D. Fink
          Message 4 of 28 , Aug 8 5:13 AM

            Hi Bob,

            Just to be sure, you are shooting in RAW, then converting to 8bit TIFF for stitching? If so, why 8bit instead of 16 bit? My suggestion would be to re-convert these images to 16bit TIFF, stitch again using the same pts file and see if that takes care of the banding.

            Mark

            Message 5 of 28 , Aug 8 8:50 AM
              Hi Mark

              Yup I shot Raws.

              I did as you suggested and converted the images to 16 bit Tiffs in Photoshop then used the same.pts file as before. Sadly I still have the same banding effect. Do you think it would it help if I sent you the .pts (without images) to look at?

              Have you ever come across this problem before with clear blue skies? it's not the first time it's happened to me, perhaps I should just shoot on cloudy days in future.

              Bob

              Message 6 of 28 , Aug 8 10:00 AM
                You should try using the 16 bit files in a new PTGui project.

                I am not 100% sure but I remember that some years ago I did not pay
                attention and I converted some raw files to 8 bit tiffs, then I stitched
                them with PTGui. When I realized that the images where 8 bit I made a
                new raw conversion creating 16 bit tiff files with the same name, I
                overwrote the existing files, I opened PTGui and I stitched the panorama
                again.
                The resulting file did not increase in size and this was clearly a sign
                that the output file was still 8 bit.

                This happened years ago so maybe things have changed, but I suggest that
                you stich some 16 bit images in a new PTGui project to see if things get
                better.
                Using 8 bit images is a good reason to get banding in the sky.

                Fulvio Senore

                Il 08/08/2013 17.50, Bob Masters ha scritto:

                > Hi Mark
                >
                > Yup I shot Raws.
                >
                > I did as you suggested and converted the images to 16 bit Tiffs in
                > Photoshop then used the same.pts file as before. Sadly I still have the
                > same banding effect. Do you think it would it help if I sent you the
                > .pts (without images) to look at?
                >
                > Have you ever come across this problem before with clear blue skies?
                > it's not the first time it's happened to me, perhaps I should just shoot
                > on cloudy days in future.
                >
                > Bob
                >

                > On 8 Aug 2013, at 14:13, Mark D. Fink wrote:
                >

                >> Hi Bob,
                >>
                >> Just to be sure, you are shooting in RAW, then converting to 8bit TIFF
                >> for stitching? If so, why 8bit instead of 16 bit? My suggestion would
                >> be to re-convert these images to 16bit TIFF, stitch again using the
                >> same pts file and see if that takes care of the banding.
                >>
                >> Mark

                >> *From:*PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com

              • Mark D. Fink
                Message 7 of 28 , Aug 8 10:10 AM

                  Hi Bob,

                  One last question I should have posed earlier: are you outputting to 8bit or 16bit? If 8bit, change the output to 16bit and see if that clears up the banding. Ideally, you should have 16bit all the way through to the final stitch. Then, if you need a JPG for web publishing, use Photoshop or Lightroom to convert to 8bit.

                  Mark

                  Message 8 of 28 , Aug 8 10:19 AM

                    Hi Bob,

                    Thanks for sending the link. This not what I expected to see when you described it as color banding. This is very subtle and looks more like compression artifacts. Have tried out putting to tiff instead of jpeg? If not, what are your jpeg compression settings? If outputting to tiff looks good, I would recommend converting from tiff to jpeg in Photoshop at a quality setting of about 90. FYI. I always keep my images at the highest quality settings (16 bit tiff) and then convert to jpeg for web use if necessary. I also use Adobe RGB for the color space as it has wider gamut range. Very nice photo by the way.

                    Message 9 of 28 , Aug 8 10:22 AM

                      Looks like your standard iberal jpg compression to me.

                      I assume you stitched to a tif and then saved as a jpg.

                      Does the tif look the same?

                      Best Regards,

                      Sacha Griffin

                      http://www.seeit360.com

                      http://twitter.com/SeeIt360

                      http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360

                      IM: sachagriffin007@...

                      Office: 404-551-4275

                      Message 10 of 28 , Aug 8 10:54 AM
                        Am 07.08.2013 22:03, schrieb Steve Sheridan:
                        > If you are using uneven
                        > exposures going into PTGUI, it might be caused by uneven blending. It's hard
                        > to say without seeing some examples. I honestly don't know where people come
                        > up with some of these theories. Color banding caused by shooting in portrait
                        > mode, really?

                        Before you bash rewarded and very experienced photographers think of the
                        following: In a DSLR both shutter curtains don't necessarily travel at
                        the same speed. This is most noticeable at fast shutter speeds, when
                        only a narrow slit moves across the sensor. If stitched in a panorama
                        the brighter side of an image is adjacent to the darker one in the next
                        image. In bright blue sky this is most noticeable.

                        That was what Ayrton was talking about. It is a well known and well
                        documented phenomenon. Hans Nyberg has some example images, but
                        unfortunately I can't find them ATM.

                        If shot in portrait mode this causes vertically repeating lighter and
                        darker zones across the image which can be seen in lots of gigapixel
                        images, f.e. in this one: http://www.gigapan.com/gigapans/117457

                        Consequently this structures would be horizontal if shot in landscape mode.

                      • Bob Masters
                        Message 11 of 28 , Aug 9 6:41 AM
                          Gentlemen,

                          I have had a good degree of success with a combination of all your suggestions, as follows:

                          I converted all the RAWS to 16 bit TIFFS then corrected some of the vignetting, (which I knew caused vertical banding but wasn't sure about the horizontal banding). I then started a new project in PTGui stitching all the images again and outputting a 16bit .psb file.

                          The resulting gigaphoto can be seen here:   http://files.bobmastersphotography.com/lightbox/new_dh_test.jpg  ..the big Tiff looks much better as it has no compression artifacts, but at least one can see that the horizontal banding has been greatly reduced.

                          In answer to Sacha's question, yes the Tiff did look the same as the Jpeg, although as you say due to compression artifacts the banding was more pronounced in the Jpeg image that I posted.

                          I have posted a couple of PTGui screen grabs here: http://files.bobmastersphotography.com/lightbox/screen_grabs.jpg  ...showing my settings to create the pan, they are the result of using the 'Optimize now' feature in the Exposure / HDR Tab and my final settings, I have used the Lanczos16 interpolator, ..is this a good choice? Any other observations where I may be going wrong would be appreciated

                          BTW The images were shot on a Canon 5D MkII with a Canon 24-70mm f2.8L lens set at 70mm.

                          Many thanks once again to all of you.

                          Bob

                          Message 12 of 28 , Aug 9 6:47 AM

                            MUCH better - congratulations, and great image too! One last question - you mention the Exposure/HDR tab. Did you shoot multiple exposures requiring HDR? If not, then make sure you uncheck "Enable HDR stitching" as it will give you less than optimal results.

                            Mark

                            *From:*PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com

                            *From:*PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com

[...]

                            (Message over 64 KB, truncated)
                          • Bob Masters
                            Message 13 of 28 , Aug 9 7:11 AM
                              Thanks Mark,  no I didn't shoot multiples exposures and I'd left that box unchecked for that reason. I did use the 'Optimize now' feature though because I thought it would even more of the vignetting/banding problems.

                              Bob

                              *From:*PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com

                              *From:*PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com

                              Message 14 of 28 , Aug 9 8:58 AM

                                Nice work Bob! It looks like your hard work and troubleshooting paid off. Thank you for sharing the results and the screen grabs too.

                                Steve

                                *From:*PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com

                                *From:*PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com

                                Message 15 of 28 , Aug 9 11:00 AM
                                  There are many reasons to get artifacts in clear blue skies that I have run into. I think they have all been mentioned in this thread, though I was not aware of the shutter current one.

                                  I would think an appropriately intelligent person (not me) could write a special sky fixing filter that samples the sky and restores the smooth gradient and thereby fix all kinds of jpg, 8bit, shutter curtain sky banding/etc. This would be an awesome feature to go along with OnOne's masking tool. Any volunteers?

                                  There is still a problem with common sharing sites such as 360cities where you will get sky banding regardless of whether you had it in your originals or not. I assume due to compression they use on their site. It would be great if they could improve their sky compression quality.

                                  David B

                                  > Am 07.08.2013 22:03, schrieb Steve Sheridan:
                                  > > If you are using uneven
                                  > > exposures going into PTGUI, it might be caused by uneven blending. It's hard
                                  > > to say without seeing some examples. I honestly don't know where people come
                                  > > up with some of these theories. Color banding caused by shooting in portrait
                                  > > mode, really?
                                  >
                                  > Before you bash rewarded and very experienced photographers think of the
                                  > following: In a DSLR both shutter curtains don't necessarily travel at
                                  > the same speed. This is most noticeable at fast shutter speeds, when
                                  > only a narrow slit moves across the sensor. If stitched in a panorama
                                  > the brighter side of an image is adjacent to the darker one in the next
                                  > image. In bright blue sky this is most noticeable.
                                  >
                                  > That was what Ayrton was talking about. It is a well known and well
                                  > documented phenomenon. Hans Nyberg has some example images, but
                                  > unfortunately I can't find them ATM.
                                  >
                                  > If shot in portrait mode this causes vertically repeating lighter and
                                  > darker zones across the image which can be seen in lots of gigapixel
                                  > images, f.e. in this one: http://www.gigapan.com/gigapans/117457
                                  >
                                  > Consequently this structures would be horizontal if shot in landscape mode.
                                  >
                                  > --
                                  > Erik Krause
                                  > http://www.erik-krause.de

                                • Sacha Griffin
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Aug 9 11:53 AM

                                    You should correct all your vignetting in raw format. I don’t think that lens/focal length combination will give you enough vignetting that it can’t be completely correcting in adobe raw convertor.

                                    The original chromatic banding does look like a combination of 8 bit image editing combined with a medium level jpg compression. Do all your editing in 16 bit always. Also the file path “lightbox” may indicate it’s been processed by your web server ie recompressed. If you’ve just gone from 16bit tiff, to JPG level 10 and nothing else. Then your new image still doesn’t look right. It looks like jpg level 6. For normal web delivery, this is just fine. It’s really unavoidable and there are more important things to worry about. For image archival/printing, you don’t want that of course.

                                    *From:*PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com

                                    *From:*PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Aug 9 1:14 PM
                                      Am 09.08.2013 20:00, schrieb David:
                                      > There is still a problem with common sharing sites such as 360cities
                                      > where you will get sky banding regardless of whether you had it in
                                      > your originals or not. I assume due to compression they use on their
                                      > site. It would be great if they could improve their sky compression
                                      > quality.

                                      If you want to avoid compression banding you can add some noise to sky
                                      only (or leave it there - Aggressive de-noising isn't recommended anyway).

                                    • David
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Aug 10 12:11 PM
                                        I've tried adding noise but so far not been real pleased with the results. I don't really like noise, or banding.

                                        David B