Help with lens flare

  • Mark D. Fink
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 31, 2013

      I need some help in getting rid of a bunch of lens flare spots on a recent VR I took.

      http://www.360cities.net/image/bedroom-upstairs-2-1#130.77,-4.49,70.0

      As you can see, there are quite a few of these, and many in areas that have a bit of detail. Any suggestions on the best way to deal with these would be VERY welcome.

      Thanks!

      Mark

      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 31, 2013
        Am 31.07.2013 19:05, schrieb Mark D. Fink:
        > http://www.360cities.net/image/bedroom-upstairs-2-1#130.77,-4.49,70.0
        > <http://www.360cities.net/image/bedroom-upstairs-2-1#23130.77,-4.49,70.0>
        >

        > As you can see, there are quite a few of these, and many in areas that have
        > a bit of detail. Any suggestions on the best way to deal with these would be
        > VERY welcome.

        This is no lens flare, this is caused by dust on the lens. Clean it and
        re-shoot. If this isn't possible you will need to clone the spots away.

        Good job by the way balancing the tungsten- and the daylight.

      • Mark D. Fink
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 31, 2013
          Wow - I thought I had clean lens habits, but apparently not. Considering
          this was in Tuscany, and I'm in New York, it looks like it's time for the
          Clone Wars...

          Thanks for the compliment on the light balancing!

          ------------------------------------

          --
        • L.D.I. Felipe B. González
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 31, 2013
            Retiuch nightmare you have. You will need to use the heal tool wisely within photoshop. And recover detail from a darker exposition.

            Good luck.

            2013/7/31 Mark D. Fink <markdfink@...>

            I need some help in getting rid of a bunch of lens flare spots on a recent VR I took.

            http://www.360cities.net/image/bedroom-upstairs-2-1#130.77,-4.49,70.0

            As you can see, there are quite a few of these, and many in areas that have a bit of detail. Any suggestions on the best way to deal with these would be VERY welcome.

            Thanks!

            Mark

            --
            L.D.I. Felipe B. González C.
            felipe@...

          • JerryRoger Hicks
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 31, 2013
              I’ve seen these spots before and don’t believe they are spots on the mirror.  What type camera did you use?  Mirror spots will show up in the highlights on every panel. This picture has spots only near the window which indicates they were made by light reflecting off the lens onto the filter, back to the lens and back to the skylight filter.  I have several very similar panos.  The only cure with that particular lens is not to use a skylight filter, or to obtain a skylight filter with better coatings.

              You can check you mirror by shooting a white board full frame.  If there are spots, they will show up similar to the spots in your picture.

              JerryRoger Hicks
              Torrance, CA
            • Jim Watters
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 31, 2013
                In Camera RAW you can add spot healing patches to multiple images at once.  Although I do find I have to review each image after to see if it the clone location is correct. Works best with sky or even surfaces, not where there is any details.

                If you have lots of overlap then stitch with layers so you can mask them out.

                On 2013-07-31 2:05 PM, Mark D. Fink wrote:
                I need some help in getting rid of a bunch of lens flare spots on a recent VR I took.

                http://www.360cities.net/image/bedroom-upstairs-2-1#130.77,-4.49,70.0

                As you can see, there are quite a few of these, and many in areas that have a bit of detail. Any suggestions on the best way to deal with these would be VERY welcome.

                  Thanks!

                  Mark

                --
                Jim Watters
                http://photocreations.ca
              • Mark D. Fink
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 31, 2013

                  This was shot with a Tokina 10-17 fisheye on a Canon 5D Mk II, so no filters. I think it must have been a dust issue.

                  Thanks,

                  Mark

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 31, 2013
                    Mark II has a self-cleaning mirror. Did you use a filter?  I recommend you try replicating the identical picture, shooting out a window with and without a filter. It is a critical issue for all photographers.  And a lovely picture.

                    JerryRoger
                  • Mark D. Fink
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 31, 2013

                      Hmm, I might be able to use overlap to my rescue - thanks for that idea. I think I have an image set with at least fewer of these spots.

                      Mark

                    • Mark D. Fink
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 31, 2013

                        Hi Jerry,

                        Since this is a fisheye, there is no filter in front of the lens. The Mark II has a self-cleaning sensor, but not mirror, at least as far as I know. Thanks for the kind words on the image!

                        Mark

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 31, 2013
                          > This was shot with a Tokina 10-17 fisheye on a Canon 5D Mk II, so no
                          > filters. I think it must have been a dust issue.

                          This is definitely dust on the lens, I've seen this many, many times when shooting
                          megalithic tomb interiors where daylight reaches darkened areas through small skylights or
                          passages. It's most prominent in the shots where the light is striking the lens at
                          approaching 90 degrees to the optical axis.

                          As the tomb interiors turned out to be intrinsically dusty, I took to carrying a blower bulb and
                          blew the lens off before every pano set to reduce the need for cloning.

                          Keith D.
                        • Robert Slade
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 31, 2013
                            How can spots on the mirror possibly show up in the image?
                            Regards,
                            Rob

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 31, 2013
                              Am 31.07.2013 22:30, schrieb Robert Slade:
                              > How can spots on the mirror possibly show up in the image?

                              There are no DSLRs with fixed mirror AFAIK, but with the EOS RT this was
                              possible. ;-)

                            • Mark Fink
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 31, 2013
                                Sony?

                                Am 31.07.2013 22:30, schrieb Robert Slade:
                                > How can spots on the mirror possibly show up in the image?

                                There are no DSLRs with fixed mirror AFAIK, but with the EOS RT this was
                                possible. ;-)

                                <*> Your email settings:
                                    Individual Email | Traditional

                                <*> To change settings online go to:
                                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                                <*> To change settings via email:
                                    PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

                                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                              • Mark D. Fink
                                Message 15 of 16 , Aug 1, 2013

                                  Tada! Here is the updated version after a bit of Photoshop work as well as re-stitching with masking to get rid of some of the problems:

                                  http://www.360cities.net/image/bedroom-upstairs-2-revised?override_cache=true#110.50,-20.60,70.0

                                  Thanks again to all!

                                  Mark

                                • jimbo
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Aug 1, 2013
                                    Tada ... looks like you got .. :-).. on a Windows machine it's looking like maybe a .1 or .15 exposure drop wouldn't hurt it.. .. well on my rigs anyway.. just saying.. regardless it's looking good.

                                    jimbo

                                    Tada! Here is the updated version after a bit of Photoshop work as well as re-stitching with masking to get rid of some of the problems:

                                    http://www.360cities.net/image/bedroom-upstairs-2-revised?override_cache=true#110.50,-20.60,70.0

                                    Thanks again to all!

                                    Mark

                                    No virus found in this message.