Re: Magic Lantern Raw 360 videos -- twin dslrs

  • panovrx
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 26, 2013
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "zakato360" <zakato360@...> wrote:

      but will try to do some raw 360 video soon too (just got some proper lexar cards for this).

      > Read somewhere that even recording at a lower frame size the raw quality is excellent (could be stretched up afterwards without much or any quality loss!). And overcoming the 16:9 ratio looks very good too for panoramic video!!!!
      >
      > Thanks again and i look forward to new results! ;)
      >
      > Antonio

      Here is another one -- in equirectangular perspective -- from a higher viewpoint (about 3m). Here the sync looks very good -- check out the speedboat, for example, as it transitions the blend zone.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpkOjWCkBYU&hd=1

      The video is speeded up about 250% to make it more lively looking. Originally at 24fps.

      About making spherical coverage ..
      I have been playing with simulating tilts in PTGui. If you (virtually) tilt each shot down 20 degrees then you get rid of the nadir hole and you still have coverage across the 360 frame up to about 110 degrees vertically -- good for little planet 360s without nadir holes. Or if you add another camera looking directly up (above the other two tilted down) with a 180+ image circle then you can get full 360/180 coverage that way. Though it will not work very well if the lens is flare prone, or there are close objects in the 3rd lens's blend zones with the first two.

      PeterM
    • panovrx
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 27, 2013
        I have been using the same sync method for shooting stereo spherical 360s too. Here is my first one .. from today .. a stereo 360 with Raw video in 4 seconds!
        http://www.stereopanoramas.com/peak.htm

        PeterM
      • panovrx
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 29, 2013
          Here is another example -- as a jpg -- in over/under stereo format -- done with the same fast rotating twin 5dII/10.5mm rig in 4 seconds using Magic Lantern Raw video (100 pairs of frames)

          http://www.stereopanoramas.com/townhalloverunder360s.jpg

          You can view this in various stereo modes with Stereophoto Maker (File/Open/Stereo Image - above-below )

          PeterM

          > I have been using the same sync method for shooting stereo spherical 360s too. Here is my first one .. from today .. a stereo 360 with Raw video in 4 seconds!
          > http://www.stereopanoramas.com/peak.htm

          > PeterM

        • Sacha Griffin
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 29, 2013

            That looks perfect. Is there a way to view it corrected ala FSPViewer?

            Best Regards,

            Sacha Griffin

            http://www.seeit360.com

            http://twitter.com/SeeIt360

            http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360

            IM: sachagriffin007@...

            Office: 404-551-4275

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 29, 2013
              Very nice stitching PeterM! ... loving your results!

              I am most interested in 360video these days where I've been doing some recordings with my 5Dii for sometime (http://www.zakato.com/?cat=435).

              Starting to unveil the power of raw video now: in part thanks to your posts here ... cheers! :)

              I have done some basic test already (not yet 360) ... trying to catch up with all the info at the ML forums ... and I'm slowly getting there (using my 5Dii with a.d. build from 2013/07/26).

              Overcoming the 16:9 limitation is so powerful. I can now record video with my sigma8 all around (1280x1250) @ 25fps continuous. For my Tokina10-17 @ 10 and @12 I have to drop the frame rate to be able to record the whole lens area for a reasonable amount of time (anyway I can always match the 16:9 @ 25fps but in raw this time :)

              I more or less have everything clear now as to start with some stitching ... will try to do so asap! ... what I still have to make up my mind about is FPS. So far I've done all my past recordings at 25fps. But I see that one of the "leading" references in 360video can only do 15fps, which is so easy to achieve with MLRaw (15 to 20 fps I can more or less get continuous recording @ 1880x1250, i.e sensor's full frame for video). I then wonder if it is so crucial to try to get too high on this ?!?! ... or if using a non-standard fps setting such as 18 (=super8) 19 or 20 will be good enough ?!?!?!?

              anyway ... to much ML lately bouncing in my head! ;)

              cheers,

              Antonio

              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "zakato360" <zakato360@> wrote:
              >

              > but will try to do some raw 360 video soon too (just got some proper lexar cards for this).
              > >
              > > Read somewhere that even recording at a lower frame size the raw quality is excellent (could be stretched up afterwards without much or any quality loss!). And overcoming the 16:9 ratio looks very good too for panoramic video!!!!
              > >
              > > Thanks again and i look forward to new results! ;)
              > >
              > > Antonio
              > >

              > Here is another one -- in equirectangular perspective -- from a higher viewpoint (about 3m). Here the sync looks very good -- check out the speedboat, for example, as it transitions the blend zone.
              > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpkOjWCkBYU&hd=1
              >
              > The video is speeded up about 250% to make it more lively looking. Originally at 24fps.
              >
              > About making spherical coverage ..
              > I have been playing with simulating tilts in PTGui. If you (virtually) tilt each shot down 20 degrees then you get rid of the nadir hole and you still have coverage across the 360 frame up to about 110 degrees vertically -- good for little planet 360s without nadir holes. Or if you add another camera looking directly up (above the other two tilted down) with a 180+ image circle then you can get full 360/180 coverage that way. Though it will not work very well if the lens is flare prone, or there are close objects in the 3rd lens's blend zones with the first two.
              >
              > PeterM

            • panovrx
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 30, 2013
                > http://www.stereopanoramas.com/townhalloverunder360s.jpg

                Yes I am happy with it Sacha! I will make an anaglyph version soon that will work in DevalVR etc but the problems with wide angle, tilted viewing of stereo 360s remain.
                http://www.stereopanoramas.com/blog/flat-scrolling-3d-panorama-viewers/

                The answers might be depth map generation from stereo panoramas (already VR Player supports depth maps for 360 panoramas) or some dense camera array (light field) solution I think.

                But 360 equirectangular stereo works in scrolling mode fine -- and they work OK in the Oculus Rift (which is very forgiving for some reason of stereo alignment imperfections).

                Magic Lantern -- raw video with DSLRs -- is effectively bringing us back to the Nikon D1 era for 360 panoramas except now it works in stereo! Yeah! The Magic Lantern Raw frames are just like miniature Raw stills in their behavior (except for more aliasing artifacts and being subject to rolling shutter geometric distortions with fast motion). Also the sync problem remains even though I think it is less than random. With this panorama I think there is a sync offset of about 1/250th second which would make any closer fast action problematic.

                Because PTGui is so powerful now I dont think you need a motorized rotator except for very fast rotations (like this one was) or where you need to operate the rig remotely (to avoid moving shadows, pole shots etc.) I will try some today with a closer rig (base to base) just panning the assembly by hand.

                >>Zakato360 --Very nice stitching PeterM! ... loving your results!

                I am most interested in 360video these days where I've been doing some
                recordings with my 5Dii for sometime (http://www.zakato.com/?cat=435).>>

                thanks Zakato, very nice little planet videos! I have been playing with single camera fisheye Raw video too. I have made a rig (5dMkIII, 8-15canon) so I can see the screen with a magnifier with one eye, and see simultaneously a magnified bubble with the other. And then stabilising with PTGui. These kind of movies work nicely in the Oculus Rift too --eg. (ignore the cartoon effect -- "I once was lost, but now I see!")
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMTn6VbeAzs&hd=1

                PeterM

                > That looks perfect. Is there a way to view it corrected ala FSPViewer?
                >

                > Here is another example -- as a jpg -- in over/under stereo format -- done
                > with the same fast rotating twin 5dII/10.5mm rig in 4 seconds using Magic
                > Lantern Raw video (100 pairs of frames)
                >
                > http://www.stereopanoramas.com/townhalloverunder360s.jpg
                >
                > You can view this in various stereo modes with Stereophoto Maker
                > (File/Open/Stereo Image - above-below )
                >
                > PeterM

              • nburtey
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 2, 2013
                  Wow. Quality looks astonishing compared to what we have with other cameras and h264 compression !

                  I'm not sure smartblend will give you any good result : it will try to find the optimal seams at every image, and you'll have some kind of moving stitching line over time.

                  And I think you'll likely never has perfectly accurate sync with this kind of camera, a timecode is needed for this, but is only present on professional camera.