Re: Panos: sRGB or RGB? HDR or non-HDR? Opinions, please...

  • John Houghton
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 26 5:34 AM
      Roger, I think you should post individual links to the panoramas you are seeking opinions about, with clear details about the processing of each. These, I think, are your panoramas:

      http://tinyurl.com/pbc87po
      http://tinyurl.com/q27kd57

      Both exhibit very obvious noise when zooming in, so it would be advisable to place sensible limits on the zooming, if that's possible. I suppose the noise arises from lifting the levels of the shadow detail in your processing of the single RAW image. Yet there is an inconsistency in the processing. See this screenshot of an area where three images meet but showing three very different levels of noise:

      http://www.johnhpanos.com/noise3.jpg

      IMHO, reducing the contrast has been overdone (in the tonemapping?). They look rather flat to my eyes. I'd prefer the bright and contrasty scenes to look more, well, bright and contrasty. I'm not sure about what is supposed to be sRGB or RGB. Lovely photogenic locations though.

      John