Panos: sRGB or RGB? HDR or non-HDR? Opinions, please...

  • Roger D Williams
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 24, 2013
      I've just uploaded two more panoramas to the "Alsace" area at the top of my Rogerama photosynth collection. Previously, I thought that the colours might be looking a little under saturated because I forgot to change the colour space to sRGB, so I made sure to do it on one of them this time (the hotel). I also used single-exposure HDR (essentially re-tonemapping) on that one.

      I'd value opinions on which looks better. The colours certainly are brighter when I change to sRGB but could be a bit over the top. The tonemapping has also introduced some halos, and I was surprised to find that although I specified "process for 360-degree panorama" in SNS-HDR, I ended up with a visible seam in the sky which needed massaging in PhotoShop. That was a "first" I don't want to repeat.

      These two were quite time consuming to create, for various reasons, one of them being that there were few true verticals to help with leveling. Would value opinions. I do think my old Peleng, used here, still does a reasonably good job, creating four-around panos a little over 10,000 x 5,000 pixels.

      I'll shortly introduce the little monopod "foot" that I hope will help me create 12,000 x 6,000 panos using the Pentax zoom fisheye at 10mm FL.

      Roger W.

      Sent from my iPad
    • Roger D Williams
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 24, 2013
        Ooops. The hotel is NOT the sRGB/HDR panorama.

        Roger W.

        Sent from my iPad

        On Jul 24, 2013, at 7:45 PM, Roger D Williams <roger@...> wrote:

        > I've just uploaded two more panoramas to the "Alsace" area at the top of my Rogerama photosynth collection. Previously, I thought that the colours might be looking a little under saturated because I forgot to change the colour space to sRGB, so I made sure to do it on one of them this time (the hotel). I also used single-exposure HDR (essentially re-tonemapping) on that one.
      • John Houghton
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 26, 2013
          Roger, I think you should post individual links to the panoramas you are seeking opinions about, with clear details about the processing of each. These, I think, are your panoramas:

          http://tinyurl.com/pbc87po
          http://tinyurl.com/q27kd57

          Both exhibit very obvious noise when zooming in, so it would be advisable to place sensible limits on the zooming, if that's possible. I suppose the noise arises from lifting the levels of the shadow detail in your processing of the single RAW image. Yet there is an inconsistency in the processing. See this screenshot of an area where three images meet but showing three very different levels of noise:

          http://www.johnhpanos.com/noise3.jpg

          IMHO, reducing the contrast has been overdone (in the tonemapping?). They look rather flat to my eyes. I'd prefer the bright and contrasty scenes to look more, well, bright and contrasty. I'm not sure about what is supposed to be sRGB or RGB. Lovely photogenic locations though.

          John