Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: RAW dynamic range extraction

  • Isaac Garcia
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 14, 2013

      Hi Jeff,

      As both a pano (spheres and mosaic) and "classical" photographer I can tell you that though I obviously want to get the best shadow/hihglight detail and best detail, I will avoid "unfavorable" conditions (and even flat out not take certain shots) in my "classical" work that, mostly by definition, I can't in pano work. In other words, I will move my subjects to a more favorable place.

      So yes, "classical" photographers do want to get the best quality but they can usually go around the "restraints" thrown by the environment. What Erik said is completely correct. And I think he never mentioned "quality" per se, just that it´s a different (read wider) set of hurdles to overcome.

      And while I agree with what Guy says, you know what´s the truth? The sad truth is nobody but a photographer cares if in that vertical wedding portrait the sky is blown. Few people will even notice that there IS a sky there.

      Cheers.

      On Jul 13, 2013 1:20 PM, "Jeff" <jeffstarley@...> wrote:

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Erik Krause wrote:

      > We want to show anything around, including deep shadows and bright
      > highlights. Hence we have the problem to compensate for that. He says
      > ACR 2012 is not the best, better use 2010 and underexpose. But if we do
      > so we loose shadows we need so much. And if he says Aperture does it
      > better, well, why not? I can't judge. Your're welcome to write an
      > article about Aperture.

      Hi Erik, I don't think you have fully understood Guy Gowan's explanation.
      He does not say to underexpose, quite the contrary in fact.
      What he says is to overexpose in camera, then to underexpose in the Raw convertor.

      (How much you can overexpose/underexpose will vary, depending on your camera and the Raw convertor used).

      Thus getting more shadow detail to work with, and by using the best "convertor" getting the best highlight detail as well.
      Surely this is exactly what we panoramic photographers, indeed all photographers, want to do?
      Hence the reason for my disagreeing with your original statement about Classical photographers.
      Once you have the best data set you can get from the Raw file you can do whatever you wish with it, knowing that your starting point is as good as you can get it. How you manipulate the image data from here is all down to personal taste and requirements.

      > Definitely not. The page is from May, ACR 8.1 came out in June.

      I will have to bow to your greater knowledge on this point.

      Jeff Starley

    • Roger D Williams
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 19, 2013
        It may be inappropriate for me to comment here, as I only have a PC and cannot try the RAW converter he mentions. However I must say how very off-putting I find his video. He comes over as over-opinionated with a low opinion of his listeners and a dreadful style of delivery, rambling, full of non sequitors, and relying on jargon (which he doesn't always use accurately). I am unlikely to watch any more of his videos, and in fact I couldn't watch it to the end.... So I may have missed something more valuable than what I actually heard.

        I find ACR invaluable for CA removal and convenient for tweaking individual shots. For panoramas I like SNS-HDR.

        Roger W

        Sent from my iPad