RE: [PanoToolsNG] alternative solution ?

  • Mark D. Fink
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 3, 2007
      Hi Demosthene,

      With the Pinnacle VR, I don't guarantee high precision batch stitching
      simply because I feel there are too many variables that can result in small
      variations. However, I personally have re-used PTGui scripts in batch mode
      with great results. Roger Howard is in the midst of reviewing the Pinnacle
      VR, so it would be interesting to get his view on this as well. So, can the
      Pinnacle VR do batch stitching? Yes, but I don't feel right *guaranteeing*
      it.

      With a 10.5, I'm assuming you will be shooting six around? Is that correct?
      If so, I don't feel that batch stitching is that much of an issue. When you
      start working with longer lenses, such as a 14mm or 24mm, then batch
      stitching becomes much more of an issue. Even there, however, PTGui does a
      great job of automatically finding control points and making great stitches.

      The advantage of the Pinnacle VR is the flexibility of being able to use
      just about any camera body and just about any lens.

      Mark
      www.pinnacle-vr.com
      www.northernlight.net

    • Peter O'Donnell
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 3, 2007
        I won't be waiting in anticipation. Kaidan have really lost the plot if they think they can
        charge $800+ for something that looks like it been put together from a spare-parts bin.

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Robert C. Fisher" <bob@...> wrote:

        > Kaidan is coming out with a new precision head but the last I heard
        > it is still a few weeks away. It's called the Quickpan Professional.
        > From the renderings I have seen it looks like it will be a great
        > head, very simple and accurate.
        >
        > http://www.kaidan.com
        >
        > On Jan 3, 2007, at 7:03 AM, panotools360 wrote:
        >
        > > Hi,
        > > first aff all, i wish you all the best for 2007 and always happy panos
        > > ;-)
        > > I'm looking for a panoramic tripod head for my D200 + 10.5 that
        > > garantee Highly accurate Batch Stitching process for high resolution
        > > panos. The 360precision head seems to be a solution, but may be
        > > Novoflex VR-PRO could be an alternative ? Could someone report batch
        > > stiching test with this pano head ? or with other tools ?
        > >
        > > Cheers
        > >
        > > Demosthene
        > >

        > Cheers
        > Robert C. Fisher
        > VR Photography/Cinematography

      • ptgroup
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 3, 2007
          New colors like Novoflex :-)
          But 9 kg !!! ´I want to see the sprit-level when turning.
          Ciao
          Mike
          -------------------------
          I won't be waiting in anticipation. Kaidan have really lost the plot if they think they can
          charge $800+ for something that looks like it been put together from a spare-parts bin.

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Robert C. Fisher" <bob@...> wrote:

          > Kaidan is coming out with a new precision head but the last I heard
          > it is still a few weeks away. It's called the Quickpan Professional.
          > From the renderings I have seen it looks like it will be a great
          > head, very simple and accurate.
          >
          > http://www.kaidan.com
          >
          > On Jan 3, 2007, at 7:03 AM, panotools360 wrote:
          >
          > > Hi,
          > > first aff all, i wish you all the best for 2007 and always happy panos
          > > ;-)
          > > I'm looking for a panoramic tripod head for my D200 + 10.5 that
          > > garantee Highly accurate Batch Stitching process for high resolution
          > > panos. The 360precision head seems to be a solution, but may be
          > > Novoflex VR-PRO could be an alternative ? Could someone report batch
          > > stiching test with this pano head ? or with other tools ?
          > >
          > > Cheers
          > >
          > > Demosthene
          > >

          > Cheers
          > Robert C. Fisher
          > VR Photography/Cinematography

        • r_jagusch
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 3, 2007
            Hello Demosthen,

            i am working with a 360precision and i can say it is a dream. The best
            reproduceable results i have ever seen. Take your pictures and you can
            stitch them all from the same template. (I am doing this with PTGui)

            Best wishes for the new year.

            Rainer

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "panotools360" <digitalpixel@...>
            wrote:

            > Hi,
            > first aff all, i wish you all the best for 2007 and always happy panos
            > ;-)
            > I'm looking for a panoramic tripod head for my D200 + 10.5 that
            > garantee Highly accurate Batch Stitching process for high resolution
            > panos. The 360precision head seems to be a solution, but may be
            > Novoflex VR-PRO could be an alternative ? Could someone report batch
            > stiching test with this pano head ? or with other tools ?
            >
            > Cheers
            >
            > Demosthene

          • Bjørn K Nilssen
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 3, 2007
              On 3 Jan 2007 at 10:40, Mark D. Fink wrote:

              > The advantage of the Pinnacle VR is the flexibility of being able to use
              > just about any camera body and just about any lens.

              As long as the tripod mount is in the center of the optical axis?
              Which means that it won't work with my Oly C-7070 ?

              --
              Bjørn K Nilssen - http://www.bknilssen.no - panoramas and 3D
            • Mark D. Fink
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 4, 2007
                Hi Bjørn,

                Actually, it might work after all. I'll have to do a quick test when I get
                home tonight, but I think it might be possible to shift the camera plate,
                (see page 4 of the PDF manual here -
                http://pinnacle-vr.com/Pinnacle%20VR%20Universal%20Pano%20Head%20Manual.pdf)
                , laterally to accommodate cameras where the tripod hole isn't centered
                beneath the axis of the lens. If it works, the downside would be that you
                wouldn't have the ability to move the camera forward and backward in 1mm
                increments to get to your NPP. Still, it may turn out that your NPP,
                (depending on where you are zooming), would fall over one of the remaining
                hole combinations of the camera and pitch plates.

                The other option would be to have an adapter plate made that has a hole for
                your camera's tripod mount and another centered under the lens axis that the
                Pinnacle VR could attach to. You would probably want to have a lip at the
                front of this plate rather than the back to keep it from twisting once
                mounted. If you had the lip at the back, it might get in the way of your
                LCD.

                Mark
                www.pinnacle-vr.com
                www.northernlight.net

                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 6, 2007
                  On 4 Jan 2007 at 8:13, Mark D. Fink wrote:

                  > Hi Bjørn,
                  >
                  > Actually, it might work after all. I'll have to do a quick test when I get
                  > home tonight, but I think it might be possible to shift the camera plate,
                  > (see page 4 of the PDF manual here -

                  Too late, I'm afraid ;) I bought a Nodal Ninja 3, because I wasn't sure how your system
                  would've worked. I think it would be a good idea if you added some more photos of it, and
                  eventually some animated GIFs or similar?

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 6, 2007
                    Darn! 8^) It would have worked, but it wouldn't have been very elegant. The
                    camera plate can be shifted a total of 18mm left or right in 9mm increments
                    to bring a camera with an offset tripod hole into position. (Assuming the
                    offset is 9 or 18mm in either direction.) Still, it really is designed to
                    work "best" with a camera where the tripod hole is centered under the lens
                    axis.

                    Mark
                    www.pinnacle-vr.com
                    www.northernlight.net