Re: Tried a Super Clamp(Manfrotto) as the tripod support

  • udaiveer
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 22, 2013
      I was going to do something very similar with the Super Clamp mounted on a Fence or any beam at the location,
      and then on a monopod to work with the Nodal-Nija Pole, to get a above the ground Point of View for the Pano.

      I was wondering if a set of LITE TIGHT wud be req. to b able to move/level the camera?

      and a simple "Turn Table" or a survey Tripod head attached to the Super Clamp.

      Coupled with the new Manfrotto tripods like the 190X Pro, that let u position the "neck in the horizontal position.

      Do u have any pix of ur setup n the results?
      thanks.
      udaiveer

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Bilsland" <rbilsland@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I've done exactly the same myself. Used a super clamp with a Nodal Ninja and mounted clamped to the handrail of a castle tower. It was a long way down! I used a leveling plate myself at the time but now a days if shooting a spherical panorama I would level it later in post processing.
      >
      > Hope this helps,
      >
      > Robert.
      >

      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "udaiveer" <udaiveer@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Was wondering if using a Manfrotto Super clamp, as tripod n mount the pano head( with rotator unit)
      > > I was thinking of locations that are Edges/frames , a cheap option for AirPano, rails,
      > > Can use an Auto Pole too. N mount the super clamp
      > >
      > > Any technical aspect that might b significant?
      > > I thnk the nadir will be easier to clean.
      > > Levelling the head shud b possible if mounted below eye level.

    • udaiveer
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 22, 2013
        What an idiot I AM,
        I DIDNT RELISE< YOU ANSWERD MY QUESTION!!! lol

        so sorry...

        udaivee
        ;-]]]

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Bilsland" <rbilsland@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I've done exactly the same myself. Used a super clamp with a Nodal Ninja and mounted clamped to the handrail of a castle tower. It was a long way down! I used a leveling plate myself at the time but now a days if shooting a spherical panorama I would level it later in post processing.
        >
        > Hope this helps,
        >
        > Robert.
        >

        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "udaiveer" <udaiveer@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Was wondering if using a Manfrotto Super clamp, as tripod n mount the pano head( with rotator unit)
        > > I was thinking of locations that are Edges/frames , a cheap option for AirPano, rails,
        > > Can use an Auto Pole too. N mount the super clamp
        > >
        > > Any technical aspect that might b significant?
        > > I thnk the nadir will be easier to clean.
        > > Levelling the head shud b possible if mounted below eye level.

      • Robert Bilsland
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 25, 2013
          Hi,

          No worries. Here is the panorama I talked of;

          http://bilsland.co.uk/goodrich/pano4.html

          This was clamped directly to the hand rail you see. I could lean further out now as I also own a Manfrotto Magic Arm to go with the Super Clamp. Either that or dangle the camera over the side on the end of a monopod.

          Robert.

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "udaiveer" <udaiveer@...> wrote:

          > What an idiot I AM,
          > I DIDNT RELISE< YOU ANSWERD MY QUESTION!!! lol
          >
          > so sorry...
          >
          > udaivee
          > ;-]]]
          >
          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Bilsland" <rbilsland@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > I've done exactly the same myself. Used a super clamp with a Nodal Ninja and mounted clamped to the handrail of a castle tower. It was a long way down! I used a leveling plate myself at the time but now a days if shooting a spherical panorama I would level it later in post processing.
          > >
          > > Hope this helps,
          > >
          > > Robert.
          > >

          > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "udaiveer" <udaiveer@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Was wondering if using a Manfrotto Super clamp, as tripod n mount the pano head( with rotator unit)
          > > > I was thinking of locations that are Edges/frames , a cheap option for AirPano, rails,
          > > > Can use an Auto Pole too. N mount the super clamp
          > > >
          > > > Any technical aspect that might b significant?
          > > > I thnk the nadir will be easier to clean.
          > > > Levelling the head shud b possible if mounted below eye level.

        • Luca Vascon
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 29, 2013
            I do use them in various occasions.

            those small chinese magicarms, and even more the smaller 8"ones, are more sturdy that you can actually think.
            Enough to hold, even upside-down, my small Nodal Ninja3 with an Olympus Pen, and enough to hold a Canon 600D with fisheye.

            Manfrotto Superclamp alone weights more than the ensamble, and would barely hold a fullframe with a NN5.

            No levelling needed. Levelling heads are only a waste of time and weight, for sphericals. Level your tripod, or use ballheads.
            :-)
            All levelling is in postproduction.

            2013/6/25 Robert Bilsland <rbilsland@...>
            Hi,

            No worries. Here is the panorama I talked of;

            http://bilsland.co.uk/goodrich/pano4.html

            This was clamped directly to the hand rail you see. I could lean further out now as I also own a Manfrotto Magic Arm to go with the Super Clamp. Either that or dangle the camera over the side on the end of a monopod.

            Robert.

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "udaiveer" <udaiveer@...> wrote:

            > What an idiot I AM,
            > I DIDNT RELISE< YOU ANSWERD MY QUESTION!!! lol
            >
            > so sorry...
            >
            > udaivee
            > ;-]]]
            >
            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Bilsland" <rbilsland@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > I've done exactly the same myself. Used a super clamp with a Nodal Ninja and mounted clamped to the handrail of a castle tower. It was a long way down! I used a leveling plate myself at the time but now a days if shooting a spherical panorama I would level it later in post processing.
            > >
            > > Hope this helps,
            > >
            > > Robert.
            > >

            > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "udaiveer" <udaiveer@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Was wondering if using a Manfrotto Super clamp, as tripod n mount the pano head( with rotator unit)
            > > > I was thinking of locations that are Edges/frames , a cheap option for AirPano, rails,
            > > > Can use an Auto Pole too. N mount the super clamp
            > > >
            > > > Any technical aspect that might b significant?
            > > > I thnk the nadir will be easier to clean.
            > > > Levelling the head shud b possible if mounted below eye level.

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            --
            Luca Vascon.
          • udaiveer
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 7, 2013
              Infact the Vice/clamp looks more sturdy that the manfrotto stuff n just for 24$...?

              wood

              n wondering, if u can take some pix of the rigging/setup, u used.

              thanks

              udaiveer

              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Luca Vascon <luca.vascon@...> wrote:

              > I do use them in various occasions.
              >
              > http://www.ebay.it/itm/11-inch-Articulating-Magic-Arm-Super-Clamp-for-mounting-Monitor-LED-light-/360670907953?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53f9a94e31&_uhb=1#ht_5769wt_1307
              >
              > http://www.ebay.it/itm/11-Magic-Arm-for-Monitor-DSLR-Camera-LED-Large-Super-Clamp-hot-sale-/121114912120?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c3302e578&_uhb=1#ht_3590wt_1073
              >
              > those small chinese magicarms, and even more the smaller 8"ones, are more
              > sturdy that you can actually think.
              > Enough to hold, even upside-down, my small Nodal Ninja3 with an Olympus
              > Pen, and enough to hold a Canon 600D with fisheye.
              >
              > Manfrotto Superclamp alone weights more than the ensamble, and would barely
              > hold a fullframe with a NN5.
              >
              > No levelling needed. Levelling heads are only a waste of time and weight,
              > for sphericals. Level your tripod, or use ballheads.
              > :-)
              > All levelling is in postproduction.
              >

              > 2013/6/25 Robert Bilsland <rbilsland@...>
              >
              > > Hi,
              > >
              > > No worries. Here is the panorama I talked of;
              > >
              > > http://bilsland.co.uk/goodrich/pano4.html
              > >
              > > This was clamped directly to the hand rail you see. I could lean further
              > > out now as I also own a Manfrotto Magic Arm to go with the Super Clamp.
              > > Either that or dangle the camera over the side on the end of a monopod.
              > >
              > > Robert.
              > >

              > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "udaiveer" <udaiveer@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > What an idiot I AM,
              > > > I DIDNT RELISE< YOU ANSWERD MY QUESTION!!! lol
              > > >
              > > > so sorry...
              > > >
              > > > udaivee
              > > > ;-]]]
              > > >
              > > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Bilsland" <rbilsland@>

              > > Ninja and mounted clamped to the handrail of a castle tower. It was a long
              > > way down! I used a leveling plate myself at the time but now a days if
              > > shooting a spherical panorama I would level it later in post processing.

              > > the pano head( with rotator unit)
              > > for AirPano, rails,

              > > ------------------------------------
              > >
              > > --
              > >

              > --
              > Luca Vascon.
              > --
              > www.lucavascon.net
              > Questa è la mia mail privata, la guardo di tanto in tanto.
              > Se volete parlarmi di lavoro, contattatemi attraverso i siti qui sotto.
              >
              > www.officinepanottiche.com
              > www.nuovostudio.it

            • Luca Vascon
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 14, 2013