Re: [PanoToolsNG] alternative solution ?

  • Robert C. Fisher
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 3, 2007
      Kaidan is coming out with a new precision head but the last I heard
      it is still a few weeks away. It's called the Quickpan Professional.
      From the renderings I have seen it looks like it will be a great
      head, very simple and accurate.

      http://www.kaidan.com

      On Jan 3, 2007, at 7:03 AM, panotools360 wrote:

      > Hi,
      > first aff all, i wish you all the best for 2007 and always happy panos
      > ;-)
      > I'm looking for a panoramic tripod head for my D200 + 10.5 that
      > garantee Highly accurate Batch Stitching process for high resolution
      > panos. The 360precision head seems to be a solution, but may be
      > Novoflex VR-PRO could be an alternative ? Could someone report batch
      > stiching test with this pano head ? or with other tools ?
      >
      > Cheers
      >
      > Demosthene

      Cheers
      Robert C. Fisher
      VR Photography/Cinematography
    • Mark D. Fink
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 3, 2007
        Hi Demosthene,

        With the Pinnacle VR, I don't guarantee high precision batch stitching
        simply because I feel there are too many variables that can result in small
        variations. However, I personally have re-used PTGui scripts in batch mode
        with great results. Roger Howard is in the midst of reviewing the Pinnacle
        VR, so it would be interesting to get his view on this as well. So, can the
        Pinnacle VR do batch stitching? Yes, but I don't feel right *guaranteeing*
        it.

        With a 10.5, I'm assuming you will be shooting six around? Is that correct?
        If so, I don't feel that batch stitching is that much of an issue. When you
        start working with longer lenses, such as a 14mm or 24mm, then batch
        stitching becomes much more of an issue. Even there, however, PTGui does a
        great job of automatically finding control points and making great stitches.

        The advantage of the Pinnacle VR is the flexibility of being able to use
        just about any camera body and just about any lens.

        Mark
        www.pinnacle-vr.com
        www.northernlight.net

      • Peter O'Donnell
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 3, 2007
          I won't be waiting in anticipation. Kaidan have really lost the plot if they think they can
          charge $800+ for something that looks like it been put together from a spare-parts bin.

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Robert C. Fisher" <bob@...> wrote:

          > Kaidan is coming out with a new precision head but the last I heard
          > it is still a few weeks away. It's called the Quickpan Professional.
          > From the renderings I have seen it looks like it will be a great
          > head, very simple and accurate.
          >
          > http://www.kaidan.com
          >
          > On Jan 3, 2007, at 7:03 AM, panotools360 wrote:
          >
          > > Hi,
          > > first aff all, i wish you all the best for 2007 and always happy panos
          > > ;-)
          > > I'm looking for a panoramic tripod head for my D200 + 10.5 that
          > > garantee Highly accurate Batch Stitching process for high resolution
          > > panos. The 360precision head seems to be a solution, but may be
          > > Novoflex VR-PRO could be an alternative ? Could someone report batch
          > > stiching test with this pano head ? or with other tools ?
          > >
          > > Cheers
          > >
          > > Demosthene
          > >

          > Cheers
          > Robert C. Fisher
          > VR Photography/Cinematography

        • ptgroup
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 3, 2007
            New colors like Novoflex :-)
            But 9 kg !!! ´I want to see the sprit-level when turning.
            Ciao
            Mike
            -------------------------
            I won't be waiting in anticipation. Kaidan have really lost the plot if they think they can
            charge $800+ for something that looks like it been put together from a spare-parts bin.

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Robert C. Fisher" <bob@...> wrote:

            > Kaidan is coming out with a new precision head but the last I heard
            > it is still a few weeks away. It's called the Quickpan Professional.
            > From the renderings I have seen it looks like it will be a great
            > head, very simple and accurate.
            >
            > http://www.kaidan.com
            >
            > On Jan 3, 2007, at 7:03 AM, panotools360 wrote:
            >
            > > Hi,
            > > first aff all, i wish you all the best for 2007 and always happy panos
            > > ;-)
            > > I'm looking for a panoramic tripod head for my D200 + 10.5 that
            > > garantee Highly accurate Batch Stitching process for high resolution
            > > panos. The 360precision head seems to be a solution, but may be
            > > Novoflex VR-PRO could be an alternative ? Could someone report batch
            > > stiching test with this pano head ? or with other tools ?
            > >
            > > Cheers
            > >
            > > Demosthene
            > >

            > Cheers
            > Robert C. Fisher
            > VR Photography/Cinematography

          • r_jagusch
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 3, 2007
              Hello Demosthen,

              i am working with a 360precision and i can say it is a dream. The best
              reproduceable results i have ever seen. Take your pictures and you can
              stitch them all from the same template. (I am doing this with PTGui)

              Best wishes for the new year.

              Rainer

              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "panotools360" <digitalpixel@...>
              wrote:

              > Hi,
              > first aff all, i wish you all the best for 2007 and always happy panos
              > ;-)
              > I'm looking for a panoramic tripod head for my D200 + 10.5 that
              > garantee Highly accurate Batch Stitching process for high resolution
              > panos. The 360precision head seems to be a solution, but may be
              > Novoflex VR-PRO could be an alternative ? Could someone report batch
              > stiching test with this pano head ? or with other tools ?
              >
              > Cheers
              >
              > Demosthene

            • Bjørn K Nilssen
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 3, 2007
                On 3 Jan 2007 at 10:40, Mark D. Fink wrote:

                > The advantage of the Pinnacle VR is the flexibility of being able to use
                > just about any camera body and just about any lens.

                As long as the tripod mount is in the center of the optical axis?
                Which means that it won't work with my Oly C-7070 ?

                --
                Bjørn K Nilssen - http://www.bknilssen.no - panoramas and 3D
              • Mark D. Fink
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 4, 2007
                  Hi Bjørn,

                  Actually, it might work after all. I'll have to do a quick test when I get
                  home tonight, but I think it might be possible to shift the camera plate,
                  (see page 4 of the PDF manual here -
                  http://pinnacle-vr.com/Pinnacle%20VR%20Universal%20Pano%20Head%20Manual.pdf)
                  , laterally to accommodate cameras where the tripod hole isn't centered
                  beneath the axis of the lens. If it works, the downside would be that you
                  wouldn't have the ability to move the camera forward and backward in 1mm
                  increments to get to your NPP. Still, it may turn out that your NPP,
                  (depending on where you are zooming), would fall over one of the remaining
                  hole combinations of the camera and pitch plates.

                  The other option would be to have an adapter plate made that has a hole for
                  your camera's tripod mount and another centered under the lens axis that the
                  Pinnacle VR could attach to. You would probably want to have a lip at the
                  front of this plate rather than the back to keep it from twisting once
                  mounted. If you had the lip at the back, it might get in the way of your
                  LCD.

                  Mark
                  www.pinnacle-vr.com
                  www.northernlight.net

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 6, 2007
                    On 4 Jan 2007 at 8:13, Mark D. Fink wrote:

                    > Hi Bjørn,
                    >
                    > Actually, it might work after all. I'll have to do a quick test when I get
                    > home tonight, but I think it might be possible to shift the camera plate,
                    > (see page 4 of the PDF manual here -

                    Too late, I'm afraid ;) I bought a Nodal Ninja 3, because I wasn't sure how your system
                    would've worked. I think it would be a good idea if you added some more photos of it, and
                    eventually some animated GIFs or similar?

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 6, 2007
                      Darn! 8^) It would have worked, but it wouldn't have been very elegant. The
                      camera plate can be shifted a total of 18mm left or right in 9mm increments
                      to bring a camera with an offset tripod hole into position. (Assuming the
                      offset is 9 or 18mm in either direction.) Still, it really is designed to
                      work "best" with a camera where the tripod hole is centered under the lens
                      axis.

                      Mark
                      www.pinnacle-vr.com
                      www.northernlight.net