Re: Nube

  • mark sroufe
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 13, 2013
      Erick --

      I'm planning on taking Spherical panos.

      Thanks for your input!

      -- Mark

      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 13, 2013
        Am 13.06.2013 19:43, schrieb mark sroufe:

        > I'm planning on taking Spherical panos.

        Why do you think you need an automated pano head? Do you want to shoot
        very large quantities or very large resolution?

      • Bostjan Burger
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 14, 2013
          Erik,

          what is a large resolution? I am with 360Precison Adjuste  and can go easily up to 5 Gpix and a bit more work up to 10 Gpix full sperical panoramas... however after projection to 360° surround photos divide it with 1.3 to get the real and fair resolution.

          :) Bostjan

          Am 13.06.2013 19:43, schrieb mark sroufe:

          > I'm planning on taking Spherical panos.

          Why do you think you need an automated pano head? Do you want to shoot
          very large quantities or very large resolution?

        • markgambier
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 14, 2013
            Erik --

            I'm thinking auto for stability and alignment when shooting multiple, bracketed shots for each camera position in order to create the final image in HDR. I'm assuming I could also program consistent repositioning to get the equivalent of Left and Right views of each main camera position in order to create a 3D HDR Spherical pano.

            Given all the variables and my novice skill set, I guess I just assumed an automated head would be the surest way to do so.

            Looking back on this I see I may be trying to run a marathon before I've learned to walk. Then again, I have always been a jump-into-the-deep-end kinda guy. Ha.

            I'm open to other suggestions. I may be over-thinking this.

            Thoughts?

            Is there a particular automated pano head that you would recommend?

            Thanks for taking the time to walk through this. I like having my preconceptions challenged! Particularly by people who know what they are talking about.

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 14, 2013
              Am 14.06.2013 15:51, schrieb markgambier:
              > I'm thinking auto for stability and alignment when shooting multiple,
              > bracketed shots for each camera position in order to create the final
              > image in HDR. I'm assuming I could also program consistent
              > repositioning to get the equivalent of Left and Right views of each
              > main camera position in order to create a 3D HDR Spherical pano.

              As Bostjan writes: an automated Head is not needed in your case. If you
              want to spend money go for a 360Precision Adjuste. A Nodal Ninja will be
              less expensive. Or roll your own: http://wiki.panotools.org/Heads

              > Given all the variables and my novice skill set, I guess I just
              > assumed an automated head would be the surest way to do so.

              Of course not. With an automated head you have all the complications of
              a manual one plus the automation. Many of us try to reduce equipment. I
              shoot many panoramas handheld and most with the monopod meanwhile.

              If you want least problems, get a 360precision absolute: It's custom
              made for your camera and lens, no need to adjust the no-parallax-point.
              Just screw on and shoot. Once you have a template you don't even need to
              create control points anymore. But you are limited to this one camera
              and lens.

            • Hans
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 14, 2013

                > Am 12.06.2013 00:16, schrieb markgambier:
                > > 1. What are the most often used automated pano tripod top units,
                > > where you essentially strap your camera in, program the parameters
                > > and step back?
                >
                > Depends on the usage I think. Gigapixels, sphericals, classical round shots?
                >
                > > 2. Has anyone used a camera (such as something from the Canon EOS
                > > family) that has built-in HDR bracketing software, in conjunction
                > > with an automated tripod head? Can the systems described in the
                > > previous question above be programmed to pause to allow for the
                > > multiple HDR exposures, before repositioning the camera for its next
                > > shot in the overall pano sequence?
                >
                > For an extensive overview about extended HDR bracketing possibilities
                > see http://wiki.panotools.org/Extended_bracketing_control
                >
                > For normal scenes EOS build in bracketing should do (+2EV, 0EV, -2EV).
                > If you need more I'd recommend Magic Lantern.

                Erik, the latest EOS cameras 6D and 5D Mark III has bracketing up to 7 images and max 3 EV between.

                The auto built in HDR function in the 6D is unfortunately only saving JPG.

                > Erik Krause
                > http://www.erik-krause.de

              • Luca Vascon
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 1, 2013
                  Magic Lantern is the graal for many things, bracketing among those.
                  It gives unlimited bracketing capabilities to any camera.

                  Lightweight, small camera, great sensor with good DR and hi pixel count, and great optics with controlled flare are my first choices.
                  But also: remotability (WIRED shutter release plug, and ability to be completely controlled by an external computer) possibility to power the camera by the mains, are great plus.
                  This leaves you with Canon DSLR and some Nikon. Canon has Magic Lantern, that is more than half of the reason to buy a Canon itself.

                  What about panoheads: It must be at measure of the camera+lens system. A small Nodal Ninja is a good compromise in terms of price, sturdiness and weight.

                  Stay away from camera battery boosters. They do add some weight, but they increas ethe off-center of the system, asking for FAR BIGGER and heavier heads.

                  2013/6/14 Hans <hans@...>

                  > Am 12.06.2013 00:16, schrieb markgambier:
                  > > 1. What are the most often used automated pano tripod top units,
                  > > where you essentially strap your camera in, program the parameters
                  > > and step back?
                  >
                  > Depends on the usage I think. Gigapixels, sphericals, classical round shots?
                  >
                  > > 2. Has anyone used a camera (such as something from the Canon EOS
                  > > family) that has built-in HDR bracketing software, in conjunction
                  > > with an automated tripod head?  Can the systems described in the
                  > > previous question above be programmed to pause to allow for the
                  > > multiple HDR exposures, before repositioning the camera for its next
                  > > shot in the overall pano sequence?
                  >
                  > For an extensive overview about extended HDR bracketing possibilities
                  > see http://wiki.panotools.org/Extended_bracketing_control
                  >
                  > For normal scenes EOS build in bracketing should do (+2EV, 0EV, -2EV).
                  > If you need more I'd recommend Magic Lantern.

                  Erik, the latest EOS cameras 6D and 5D Mark III has bracketing up to 7 images and max 3 EV  between.

                  The auto built in HDR function in the 6D is unfortunately only  saving JPG.

                  > Erik Krause
                  > http://www.erik-krause.de

                  <*> Your email settings:
                      Individual Email | Traditional