alternative solution ?

  • panotools360
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 3, 2007
      Hi,
      first aff all, i wish you all the best for 2007 and always happy panos
      ;-)
      I'm looking for a panoramic tripod head for my D200 + 10.5 that
      garantee Highly accurate Batch Stitching process for high resolution
      panos. The 360precision head seems to be a solution, but may be
      Novoflex VR-PRO could be an alternative ? Could someone report batch
      stiching test with this pano head ? or with other tools ?

      Cheers

      Demosthene
    • Robert C. Fisher
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 3, 2007
        Kaidan is coming out with a new precision head but the last I heard
        it is still a few weeks away. It's called the Quickpan Professional.
        From the renderings I have seen it looks like it will be a great
        head, very simple and accurate.

        http://www.kaidan.com

        On Jan 3, 2007, at 7:03 AM, panotools360 wrote:

        > Hi,
        > first aff all, i wish you all the best for 2007 and always happy panos
        > ;-)
        > I'm looking for a panoramic tripod head for my D200 + 10.5 that
        > garantee Highly accurate Batch Stitching process for high resolution
        > panos. The 360precision head seems to be a solution, but may be
        > Novoflex VR-PRO could be an alternative ? Could someone report batch
        > stiching test with this pano head ? or with other tools ?
        >
        > Cheers
        >
        > Demosthene

        Cheers
        Robert C. Fisher
        VR Photography/Cinematography
      • Mark D. Fink
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 3, 2007
          Hi Demosthene,

          With the Pinnacle VR, I don't guarantee high precision batch stitching
          simply because I feel there are too many variables that can result in small
          variations. However, I personally have re-used PTGui scripts in batch mode
          with great results. Roger Howard is in the midst of reviewing the Pinnacle
          VR, so it would be interesting to get his view on this as well. So, can the
          Pinnacle VR do batch stitching? Yes, but I don't feel right *guaranteeing*
          it.

          With a 10.5, I'm assuming you will be shooting six around? Is that correct?
          If so, I don't feel that batch stitching is that much of an issue. When you
          start working with longer lenses, such as a 14mm or 24mm, then batch
          stitching becomes much more of an issue. Even there, however, PTGui does a
          great job of automatically finding control points and making great stitches.

          The advantage of the Pinnacle VR is the flexibility of being able to use
          just about any camera body and just about any lens.

          Mark
          www.pinnacle-vr.com
          www.northernlight.net

        • Peter O'Donnell
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 3, 2007
            I won't be waiting in anticipation. Kaidan have really lost the plot if they think they can
            charge $800+ for something that looks like it been put together from a spare-parts bin.

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Robert C. Fisher" <bob@...> wrote:

            > Kaidan is coming out with a new precision head but the last I heard
            > it is still a few weeks away. It's called the Quickpan Professional.
            > From the renderings I have seen it looks like it will be a great
            > head, very simple and accurate.
            >
            > http://www.kaidan.com
            >
            > On Jan 3, 2007, at 7:03 AM, panotools360 wrote:
            >
            > > Hi,
            > > first aff all, i wish you all the best for 2007 and always happy panos
            > > ;-)
            > > I'm looking for a panoramic tripod head for my D200 + 10.5 that
            > > garantee Highly accurate Batch Stitching process for high resolution
            > > panos. The 360precision head seems to be a solution, but may be
            > > Novoflex VR-PRO could be an alternative ? Could someone report batch
            > > stiching test with this pano head ? or with other tools ?
            > >
            > > Cheers
            > >
            > > Demosthene
            > >

            > Cheers
            > Robert C. Fisher
            > VR Photography/Cinematography

          • ptgroup
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 3, 2007
              New colors like Novoflex :-)
              But 9 kg !!! ´I want to see the sprit-level when turning.
              Ciao
              Mike
              -------------------------
              I won't be waiting in anticipation. Kaidan have really lost the plot if they think they can
              charge $800+ for something that looks like it been put together from a spare-parts bin.

              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Robert C. Fisher" <bob@...> wrote:

              > Kaidan is coming out with a new precision head but the last I heard
              > it is still a few weeks away. It's called the Quickpan Professional.
              > From the renderings I have seen it looks like it will be a great
              > head, very simple and accurate.
              >
              > http://www.kaidan.com
              >
              > On Jan 3, 2007, at 7:03 AM, panotools360 wrote:
              >
              > > Hi,
              > > first aff all, i wish you all the best for 2007 and always happy panos
              > > ;-)
              > > I'm looking for a panoramic tripod head for my D200 + 10.5 that
              > > garantee Highly accurate Batch Stitching process for high resolution
              > > panos. The 360precision head seems to be a solution, but may be
              > > Novoflex VR-PRO could be an alternative ? Could someone report batch
              > > stiching test with this pano head ? or with other tools ?
              > >
              > > Cheers
              > >
              > > Demosthene
              > >

              > Cheers
              > Robert C. Fisher
              > VR Photography/Cinematography

            • r_jagusch
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 3, 2007
                Hello Demosthen,

                i am working with a 360precision and i can say it is a dream. The best
                reproduceable results i have ever seen. Take your pictures and you can
                stitch them all from the same template. (I am doing this with PTGui)

                Best wishes for the new year.

                Rainer

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "panotools360" <digitalpixel@...>
                wrote:

                > Hi,
                > first aff all, i wish you all the best for 2007 and always happy panos
                > ;-)
                > I'm looking for a panoramic tripod head for my D200 + 10.5 that
                > garantee Highly accurate Batch Stitching process for high resolution
                > panos. The 360precision head seems to be a solution, but may be
                > Novoflex VR-PRO could be an alternative ? Could someone report batch
                > stiching test with this pano head ? or with other tools ?
                >
                > Cheers
                >
                > Demosthene

              • Bjørn K Nilssen
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 3, 2007
                  On 3 Jan 2007 at 10:40, Mark D. Fink wrote:

                  > The advantage of the Pinnacle VR is the flexibility of being able to use
                  > just about any camera body and just about any lens.

                  As long as the tripod mount is in the center of the optical axis?
                  Which means that it won't work with my Oly C-7070 ?

                  --
                  Bjørn K Nilssen - http://www.bknilssen.no - panoramas and 3D
                • Mark D. Fink
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 4, 2007
                    Hi Bjørn,

                    Actually, it might work after all. I'll have to do a quick test when I get
                    home tonight, but I think it might be possible to shift the camera plate,
                    (see page 4 of the PDF manual here -
                    http://pinnacle-vr.com/Pinnacle%20VR%20Universal%20Pano%20Head%20Manual.pdf)
                    , laterally to accommodate cameras where the tripod hole isn't centered
                    beneath the axis of the lens. If it works, the downside would be that you
                    wouldn't have the ability to move the camera forward and backward in 1mm
                    increments to get to your NPP. Still, it may turn out that your NPP,
                    (depending on where you are zooming), would fall over one of the remaining
                    hole combinations of the camera and pitch plates.

                    The other option would be to have an adapter plate made that has a hole for
                    your camera's tripod mount and another centered under the lens axis that the
                    Pinnacle VR could attach to. You would probably want to have a lip at the
                    front of this plate rather than the back to keep it from twisting once
                    mounted. If you had the lip at the back, it might get in the way of your
                    LCD.

                    Mark
                    www.pinnacle-vr.com
                    www.northernlight.net

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 6, 2007
                      On 4 Jan 2007 at 8:13, Mark D. Fink wrote:

                      > Hi Bjørn,
                      >
                      > Actually, it might work after all. I'll have to do a quick test when I get
                      > home tonight, but I think it might be possible to shift the camera plate,
                      > (see page 4 of the PDF manual here -

                      Too late, I'm afraid ;) I bought a Nodal Ninja 3, because I wasn't sure how your system
                      would've worked. I think it would be a good idea if you added some more photos of it, and
                      eventually some animated GIFs or similar?

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 6, 2007
                        Darn! 8^) It would have worked, but it wouldn't have been very elegant. The
                        camera plate can be shifted a total of 18mm left or right in 9mm increments
                        to bring a camera with an offset tripod hole into position. (Assuming the
                        offset is 9 or 18mm in either direction.) Still, it really is designed to
                        work "best" with a camera where the tripod hole is centered under the lens
                        axis.

                        Mark
                        www.pinnacle-vr.com
                        www.northernlight.net