Nube

  • markgambier
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 11, 2013
      Hi all --

      I've been lurking here for more than a year. Other parts of life prevented me from actively engaging in the creation of Panos. But I have followed the posts as best I can have a base (and I use that term loosely) knowledge.

      But I'm ready to dive in. So, a couple of questions:

      1. What are the most often used automated pano tripod top units, where you essentially strap your camera in, program the parameters and step back?

      2. Has anyone used a camera (such as something from the Canon EOS family) that has built-in HDR bracketing software, in conjunction with an automated tripod head? Can the systems described in the previous question above be programmed to pause to allow for the multiple HDR exposures, before repositioning the camera for its next shot in the overall pano sequence?

      Thanks!!

      -- Mark
    • JerryRoger
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 11, 2013
        The Olympus C-8080 will bracket a subject with 5 pictures (1/3 to 1 stop between bracket points.  Liabilities: max length is 110mm equivalent (the length where I record most panos).  No image stabilization; it takes about two minutes for it to transfer 5 RAW images into CF memory (old usb); it can get spots on the sensor.  Capabilities: fantastic lens quality, built like tank, user friendly, about $120 on eBay, great for rt handers (who use rt eye to focus), the max size JPGs are nearly as good as RAW and easier and quicker to stitch.  Tethers to Olympus Studio, excellent all around studio camera especially for doing eBay ads. Viewfinder shows what you get. External display articulates--great for stealing shots. Small footprint.

        Camera is completely described in C-8080 users forum:  Nodal point, best settings to use, generic batteries, best media, etc.

        JerryRoger
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 12, 2013
          Am 12.06.2013 00:16, schrieb markgambier:
          > 1. What are the most often used automated pano tripod top units,
          > where you essentially strap your camera in, program the parameters
          > and step back?

          Depends on the usage I think. Gigapixels, sphericals, classical round shots?

          > 2. Has anyone used a camera (such as something from the Canon EOS
          > family) that has built-in HDR bracketing software, in conjunction
          > with an automated tripod head? Can the systems described in the
          > previous question above be programmed to pause to allow for the
          > multiple HDR exposures, before repositioning the camera for its next
          > shot in the overall pano sequence?

          For an extensive overview about extended HDR bracketing possibilities
          see http://wiki.panotools.org/Extended_bracketing_control

          For normal scenes EOS build in bracketing should do (+2EV, 0EV, -2EV).
          If you need more I'd recommend Magic Lantern.

        • mark sroufe
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 13, 2013
            Erick --

            I'm planning on taking Spherical panos.

            Thanks for your input!

            -- Mark

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 13, 2013
              Am 13.06.2013 19:43, schrieb mark sroufe:

              > I'm planning on taking Spherical panos.

              Why do you think you need an automated pano head? Do you want to shoot
              very large quantities or very large resolution?

            • Bostjan Burger
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 14, 2013
                Erik,

                what is a large resolution? I am with 360Precison Adjuste  and can go easily up to 5 Gpix and a bit more work up to 10 Gpix full sperical panoramas... however after projection to 360° surround photos divide it with 1.3 to get the real and fair resolution.

                :) Bostjan

                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 14, 2013
                  Erik --

                  I'm thinking auto for stability and alignment when shooting multiple, bracketed shots for each camera position in order to create the final image in HDR. I'm assuming I could also program consistent repositioning to get the equivalent of Left and Right views of each main camera position in order to create a 3D HDR Spherical pano.

                  Given all the variables and my novice skill set, I guess I just assumed an automated head would be the surest way to do so.

                  Looking back on this I see I may be trying to run a marathon before I've learned to walk. Then again, I have always been a jump-into-the-deep-end kinda guy. Ha.

                  I'm open to other suggestions. I may be over-thinking this.

                  Thoughts?

                  Is there a particular automated pano head that you would recommend?

                  Thanks for taking the time to walk through this. I like having my preconceptions challenged! Particularly by people who know what they are talking about.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 14, 2013
                    Am 14.06.2013 15:51, schrieb markgambier:
                    > I'm thinking auto for stability and alignment when shooting multiple,
                    > bracketed shots for each camera position in order to create the final
                    > image in HDR. I'm assuming I could also program consistent
                    > repositioning to get the equivalent of Left and Right views of each
                    > main camera position in order to create a 3D HDR Spherical pano.

                    As Bostjan writes: an automated Head is not needed in your case. If you
                    want to spend money go for a 360Precision Adjuste. A Nodal Ninja will be
                    less expensive. Or roll your own: http://wiki.panotools.org/Heads

                    > Given all the variables and my novice skill set, I guess I just
                    > assumed an automated head would be the surest way to do so.

                    Of course not. With an automated head you have all the complications of
                    a manual one plus the automation. Many of us try to reduce equipment. I
                    shoot many panoramas handheld and most with the monopod meanwhile.

                    If you want least problems, get a 360precision absolute: It's custom
                    made for your camera and lens, no need to adjust the no-parallax-point.
                    Just screw on and shoot. Once you have a template you don't even need to
                    create control points anymore. But you are limited to this one camera
                    and lens.

                  • Hans
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 14, 2013

                      > Am 12.06.2013 00:16, schrieb markgambier:
                      > > 1. What are the most often used automated pano tripod top units,
                      > > where you essentially strap your camera in, program the parameters
                      > > and step back?
                      >
                      > Depends on the usage I think. Gigapixels, sphericals, classical round shots?
                      >
                      > > 2. Has anyone used a camera (such as something from the Canon EOS
                      > > family) that has built-in HDR bracketing software, in conjunction
                      > > with an automated tripod head? Can the systems described in the
                      > > previous question above be programmed to pause to allow for the
                      > > multiple HDR exposures, before repositioning the camera for its next
                      > > shot in the overall pano sequence?
                      >
                      > For an extensive overview about extended HDR bracketing possibilities
                      > see http://wiki.panotools.org/Extended_bracketing_control
                      >
                      > For normal scenes EOS build in bracketing should do (+2EV, 0EV, -2EV).
                      > If you need more I'd recommend Magic Lantern.

                      Erik, the latest EOS cameras 6D and 5D Mark III has bracketing up to 7 images and max 3 EV between.

                      The auto built in HDR function in the 6D is unfortunately only saving JPG.

                      > Erik Krause
                      > http://www.erik-krause.de

                    • Luca Vascon
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 1, 2013
                        Magic Lantern is the graal for many things, bracketing among those.
                        It gives unlimited bracketing capabilities to any camera.

                        Lightweight, small camera, great sensor with good DR and hi pixel count, and great optics with controlled flare are my first choices.
                        But also: remotability (WIRED shutter release plug, and ability to be completely controlled by an external computer) possibility to power the camera by the mains, are great plus.
                        This leaves you with Canon DSLR and some Nikon. Canon has Magic Lantern, that is more than half of the reason to buy a Canon itself.

                        What about panoheads: It must be at measure of the camera+lens system. A small Nodal Ninja is a good compromise in terms of price, sturdiness and weight.

                        Stay away from camera battery boosters. They do add some weight, but they increas ethe off-center of the system, asking for FAR BIGGER and heavier heads.

                        2013/6/14 Hans <hans@...>

                        > Am 12.06.2013 00:16, schrieb markgambier:
                        > > 1. What are the most often used automated pano tripod top units,
                        > > where you essentially strap your camera in, program the parameters
                        > > and step back?
                        >
                        > Depends on the usage I think. Gigapixels, sphericals, classical round shots?
                        >
                        > > 2. Has anyone used a camera (such as something from the Canon EOS
                        > > family) that has built-in HDR bracketing software, in conjunction
                        > > with an automated tripod head?  Can the systems described in the
                        > > previous question above be programmed to pause to allow for the
                        > > multiple HDR exposures, before repositioning the camera for its next
                        > > shot in the overall pano sequence?
                        >
                        > For an extensive overview about extended HDR bracketing possibilities
                        > see http://wiki.panotools.org/Extended_bracketing_control
                        >
                        > For normal scenes EOS build in bracketing should do (+2EV, 0EV, -2EV).
                        > If you need more I'd recommend Magic Lantern.

                        Erik, the latest EOS cameras 6D and 5D Mark III has bracketing up to 7 images and max 3 EV  between.

                        The auto built in HDR function in the 6D is unfortunately only  saving JPG.

                        > Erik Krause
                        > http://www.erik-krause.de

                        <*> Your email settings:
                            Individual Email | Traditional