Re: Tried a Super Clamp(Manfrotto) as the tripod support

  • Robert Bilsland
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 10, 2013
      Hi,

      I've done exactly the same myself. Used a super clamp with a Nodal Ninja and mounted clamped to the handrail of a castle tower. It was a long way down! I used a leveling plate myself at the time but now a days if shooting a spherical panorama I would level it later in post processing.

      Hope this helps,

      Robert.

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "udaiveer" <udaiveer@...> wrote:

      > Was wondering if using a Manfrotto Super clamp, as tripod n mount the pano head( with rotator unit)
      > I was thinking of locations that are Edges/frames , a cheap option for AirPano, rails,
      > Can use an Auto Pole too. N mount the super clamp
      >
      > Any technical aspect that might b significant?
      > I thnk the nadir will be easier to clean.
      > Levelling the head shud b possible if mounted below eye level.

    • udaiveer
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 22, 2013
        I was going to do something very similar with the Super Clamp mounted on a Fence or any beam at the location,
        and then on a monopod to work with the Nodal-Nija Pole, to get a above the ground Point of View for the Pano.

        I was wondering if a set of LITE TIGHT wud be req. to b able to move/level the camera?

        and a simple "Turn Table" or a survey Tripod head attached to the Super Clamp.

        Coupled with the new Manfrotto tripods like the 190X Pro, that let u position the "neck in the horizontal position.

        Do u have any pix of ur setup n the results?
        thanks.
        udaiveer

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 22, 2013
          What an idiot I AM,
          I DIDNT RELISE< YOU ANSWERD MY QUESTION!!! lol

          so sorry...

          udaivee
          ;-]]]

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 25, 2013
            Hi,

            No worries. Here is the panorama I talked of;

            http://bilsland.co.uk/goodrich/pano4.html

            This was clamped directly to the hand rail you see. I could lean further out now as I also own a Manfrotto Magic Arm to go with the Super Clamp. Either that or dangle the camera over the side on the end of a monopod.

            Robert.

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "udaiveer" <udaiveer@...> wrote:

            > What an idiot I AM,
            > I DIDNT RELISE< YOU ANSWERD MY QUESTION!!! lol
            >
            > so sorry...
            >
            > udaivee
            > ;-]]]
            >
            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Bilsland" <rbilsland@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > I've done exactly the same myself. Used a super clamp with a Nodal Ninja and mounted clamped to the handrail of a castle tower. It was a long way down! I used a leveling plate myself at the time but now a days if shooting a spherical panorama I would level it later in post processing.
            > >
            > > Hope this helps,
            > >
            > > Robert.
            > >

            > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "udaiveer" <udaiveer@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Was wondering if using a Manfrotto Super clamp, as tripod n mount the pano head( with rotator unit)
            > > > I was thinking of locations that are Edges/frames , a cheap option for AirPano, rails,
            > > > Can use an Auto Pole too. N mount the super clamp
            > > >
            > > > Any technical aspect that might b significant?
            > > > I thnk the nadir will be easier to clean.
            > > > Levelling the head shud b possible if mounted below eye level.

          • Luca Vascon
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 29, 2013
              I do use them in various occasions.

              those small chinese magicarms, and even more the smaller 8"ones, are more sturdy that you can actually think.
              Enough to hold, even upside-down, my small Nodal Ninja3 with an Olympus Pen, and enough to hold a Canon 600D with fisheye.

              Manfrotto Superclamp alone weights more than the ensamble, and would barely hold a fullframe with a NN5.

              No levelling needed. Levelling heads are only a waste of time and weight, for sphericals. Level your tripod, or use ballheads.
              :-)
              All levelling is in postproduction.

              2013/6/25 Robert Bilsland <rbilsland@...>
              Hi,

              No worries. Here is the panorama I talked of;

              http://bilsland.co.uk/goodrich/pano4.html

              This was clamped directly to the hand rail you see. I could lean further out now as I also own a Manfrotto Magic Arm to go with the Super Clamp. Either that or dangle the camera over the side on the end of a monopod.

              Robert.

              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "udaiveer" <udaiveer@...> wrote:

              > What an idiot I AM,
              > I DIDNT RELISE< YOU ANSWERD MY QUESTION!!! lol
              >
              > so sorry...
              >
              > udaivee
              > ;-]]]
              >
              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Bilsland" <rbilsland@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi,
              > >
              > > I've done exactly the same myself. Used a super clamp with a Nodal Ninja and mounted clamped to the handrail of a castle tower. It was a long way down! I used a leveling plate myself at the time but now a days if shooting a spherical panorama I would level it later in post processing.
              > >
              > > Hope this helps,
              > >
              > > Robert.
              > >

              > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "udaiveer" <udaiveer@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Was wondering if using a Manfrotto Super clamp, as tripod n mount the pano head( with rotator unit)
              > > > I was thinking of locations that are Edges/frames , a cheap option for AirPano, rails,
              > > > Can use an Auto Pole too. N mount the super clamp
              > > >
              > > > Any technical aspect that might b significant?
              > > > I thnk the nadir will be easier to clean.
              > > > Levelling the head shud b possible if mounted below eye level.

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              --
              Luca Vascon.
            • udaiveer
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 7, 2013
                Infact the Vice/clamp looks more sturdy that the manfrotto stuff n just for 24$...?

                wood

                n wondering, if u can take some pix of the rigging/setup, u used.

                thanks

                udaiveer

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Luca Vascon <luca.vascon@...> wrote:

                > I do use them in various occasions.
                >
                > http://www.ebay.it/itm/11-inch-Articulating-Magic-Arm-Super-Clamp-for-mounting-Monitor-LED-light-/360670907953?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53f9a94e31&_uhb=1#ht_5769wt_1307
                >
                > http://www.ebay.it/itm/11-Magic-Arm-for-Monitor-DSLR-Camera-LED-Large-Super-Clamp-hot-sale-/121114912120?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c3302e578&_uhb=1#ht_3590wt_1073
                >
                > those small chinese magicarms, and even more the smaller 8"ones, are more
                > sturdy that you can actually think.
                > Enough to hold, even upside-down, my small Nodal Ninja3 with an Olympus
                > Pen, and enough to hold a Canon 600D with fisheye.
                >
                > Manfrotto Superclamp alone weights more than the ensamble, and would barely
                > hold a fullframe with a NN5.
                >
                > No levelling needed. Levelling heads are only a waste of time and weight,
                > for sphericals. Level your tripod, or use ballheads.
                > :-)
                > All levelling is in postproduction.
                >

                > 2013/6/25 Robert Bilsland <rbilsland@...>
                >
                > > Hi,
                > >
                > > No worries. Here is the panorama I talked of;
                > >
                > > http://bilsland.co.uk/goodrich/pano4.html
                > >
                > > This was clamped directly to the hand rail you see. I could lean further
                > > out now as I also own a Manfrotto Magic Arm to go with the Super Clamp.
                > > Either that or dangle the camera over the side on the end of a monopod.
                > >
                > > Robert.
                > >

                > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "udaiveer" <udaiveer@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > What an idiot I AM,
                > > > I DIDNT RELISE< YOU ANSWERD MY QUESTION!!! lol
                > > >
                > > > so sorry...
                > > >
                > > > udaivee
                > > > ;-]]]
                > > >
                > > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Bilsland" <rbilsland@>

                > > Ninja and mounted clamped to the handrail of a castle tower. It was a long
                > > way down! I used a leveling plate myself at the time but now a days if
                > > shooting a spherical panorama I would level it later in post processing.

                > > the pano head( with rotator unit)
                > > for AirPano, rails,

                > > ------------------------------------
                > >
                > > --
                > >

                > --
                > Luca Vascon.
                > --
                > www.lucavascon.net
                > Questa è la mia mail privata, la guardo di tanto in tanto.
                > Se volete parlarmi di lavoro, contattatemi attraverso i siti qui sotto.
                >
                > www.officinepanottiche.com
                > www.nuovostudio.it

              • Luca Vascon
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 14, 2013