Tried a Super Clamp(Manfrotto) as the tripod support

  • udaiveer
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 7 8:32 AM
      Was wondering if using a Manfrotto Super clamp, as tripod n mount the pano head( with rotator unit)
      I was thinking of locations that are Edges/frames , a cheap option for AirPano, rails,
      Can use an Auto Pole too. N mount the super clamp

      Any technical aspect that might b significant?
      I thnk the nadir will be easier to clean.
      Levelling the head shud b possible if mounted below eye level.
    • Robert Bilsland
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 10 4:39 AM
        Hi,

        I've done exactly the same myself. Used a super clamp with a Nodal Ninja and mounted clamped to the handrail of a castle tower. It was a long way down! I used a leveling plate myself at the time but now a days if shooting a spherical panorama I would level it later in post processing.

        Hope this helps,

        Robert.

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 22 11:36 AM
          I was going to do something very similar with the Super Clamp mounted on a Fence or any beam at the location,
          and then on a monopod to work with the Nodal-Nija Pole, to get a above the ground Point of View for the Pano.

          I was wondering if a set of LITE TIGHT wud be req. to b able to move/level the camera?

          and a simple "Turn Table" or a survey Tripod head attached to the Super Clamp.

          Coupled with the new Manfrotto tripods like the 190X Pro, that let u position the "neck in the horizontal position.

          Do u have any pix of ur setup n the results?
          thanks.
          udaiveer

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 22 11:47 AM
            What an idiot I AM,
            I DIDNT RELISE< YOU ANSWERD MY QUESTION!!! lol

            so sorry...

            udaivee
            ;-]]]

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 25 4:32 AM
              Hi,

              No worries. Here is the panorama I talked of;

              http://bilsland.co.uk/goodrich/pano4.html

              This was clamped directly to the hand rail you see. I could lean further out now as I also own a Manfrotto Magic Arm to go with the Super Clamp. Either that or dangle the camera over the side on the end of a monopod.

              Robert.

              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "udaiveer" <udaiveer@...> wrote:

              > What an idiot I AM,
              > I DIDNT RELISE< YOU ANSWERD MY QUESTION!!! lol
              >
              > so sorry...
              >
              > udaivee
              > ;-]]]
              >
              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Bilsland" <rbilsland@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi,
              > >
              > > I've done exactly the same myself. Used a super clamp with a Nodal Ninja and mounted clamped to the handrail of a castle tower. It was a long way down! I used a leveling plate myself at the time but now a days if shooting a spherical panorama I would level it later in post processing.
              > >
              > > Hope this helps,
              > >
              > > Robert.
              > >

              > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "udaiveer" <udaiveer@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Was wondering if using a Manfrotto Super clamp, as tripod n mount the pano head( with rotator unit)
              > > > I was thinking of locations that are Edges/frames , a cheap option for AirPano, rails,
              > > > Can use an Auto Pole too. N mount the super clamp
              > > >
              > > > Any technical aspect that might b significant?
              > > > I thnk the nadir will be easier to clean.
              > > > Levelling the head shud b possible if mounted below eye level.

            • Luca Vascon
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 29 4:05 PM
                I do use them in various occasions.

                those small chinese magicarms, and even more the smaller 8"ones, are more sturdy that you can actually think.
                Enough to hold, even upside-down, my small Nodal Ninja3 with an Olympus Pen, and enough to hold a Canon 600D with fisheye.

                Manfrotto Superclamp alone weights more than the ensamble, and would barely hold a fullframe with a NN5.

                No levelling needed. Levelling heads are only a waste of time and weight, for sphericals. Level your tripod, or use ballheads.
                :-)
                All levelling is in postproduction.

                2013/6/25 Robert Bilsland <rbilsland@...>
                Hi,

                No worries. Here is the panorama I talked of;

                http://bilsland.co.uk/goodrich/pano4.html

                This was clamped directly to the hand rail you see. I could lean further out now as I also own a Manfrotto Magic Arm to go with the Super Clamp. Either that or dangle the camera over the side on the end of a monopod.

                Robert.

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "udaiveer" <udaiveer@...> wrote:

                > What an idiot I AM,
                > I DIDNT RELISE< YOU ANSWERD MY QUESTION!!! lol
                >
                > so sorry...
                >
                > udaivee
                > ;-]]]
                >
                > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Bilsland" <rbilsland@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi,
                > >
                > > I've done exactly the same myself. Used a super clamp with a Nodal Ninja and mounted clamped to the handrail of a castle tower. It was a long way down! I used a leveling plate myself at the time but now a days if shooting a spherical panorama I would level it later in post processing.
                > >
                > > Hope this helps,
                > >
                > > Robert.
                > >

                > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "udaiveer" <udaiveer@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Was wondering if using a Manfrotto Super clamp, as tripod n mount the pano head( with rotator unit)
                > > > I was thinking of locations that are Edges/frames , a cheap option for AirPano, rails,
                > > > Can use an Auto Pole too. N mount the super clamp
                > > >
                > > > Any technical aspect that might b significant?
                > > > I thnk the nadir will be easier to clean.
                > > > Levelling the head shud b possible if mounted below eye level.

                <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                    PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                --
                Luca Vascon.
              • udaiveer
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 7, 2013
                  Infact the Vice/clamp looks more sturdy that the manfrotto stuff n just for 24$...?

                  wood

                  n wondering, if u can take some pix of the rigging/setup, u used.

                  thanks

                  udaiveer

                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Luca Vascon <luca.vascon@...> wrote:

                  > I do use them in various occasions.
                  >
                  > http://www.ebay.it/itm/11-inch-Articulating-Magic-Arm-Super-Clamp-for-mounting-Monitor-LED-light-/360670907953?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53f9a94e31&_uhb=1#ht_5769wt_1307
                  >
                  > http://www.ebay.it/itm/11-Magic-Arm-for-Monitor-DSLR-Camera-LED-Large-Super-Clamp-hot-sale-/121114912120?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c3302e578&_uhb=1#ht_3590wt_1073
                  >
                  > those small chinese magicarms, and even more the smaller 8"ones, are more
                  > sturdy that you can actually think.
                  > Enough to hold, even upside-down, my small Nodal Ninja3 with an Olympus
                  > Pen, and enough to hold a Canon 600D with fisheye.
                  >
                  > Manfrotto Superclamp alone weights more than the ensamble, and would barely
                  > hold a fullframe with a NN5.
                  >
                  > No levelling needed. Levelling heads are only a waste of time and weight,
                  > for sphericals. Level your tripod, or use ballheads.
                  > :-)
                  > All levelling is in postproduction.
                  >

                  > 2013/6/25 Robert Bilsland <rbilsland@...>
                  >
                  > > Hi,
                  > >
                  > > No worries. Here is the panorama I talked of;
                  > >
                  > > http://bilsland.co.uk/goodrich/pano4.html
                  > >
                  > > This was clamped directly to the hand rail you see. I could lean further
                  > > out now as I also own a Manfrotto Magic Arm to go with the Super Clamp.
                  > > Either that or dangle the camera over the side on the end of a monopod.
                  > >
                  > > Robert.
                  > >

                  > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "udaiveer" <udaiveer@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > What an idiot I AM,
                  > > > I DIDNT RELISE< YOU ANSWERD MY QUESTION!!! lol
                  > > >
                  > > > so sorry...
                  > > >
                  > > > udaivee
                  > > > ;-]]]
                  > > >
                  > > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Bilsland" <rbilsland@>

                  > > Ninja and mounted clamped to the handrail of a castle tower. It was a long
                  > > way down! I used a leveling plate myself at the time but now a days if
                  > > shooting a spherical panorama I would level it later in post processing.

                  > > the pano head( with rotator unit)
                  > > for AirPano, rails,

                  > > ------------------------------------
                  > >
                  > > --
                  > >

                  > --
                  > Luca Vascon.
                  > --
                  > www.lucavascon.net
                  > Questa è la mia mail privata, la guardo di tanto in tanto.
                  > Se volete parlarmi di lavoro, contattatemi attraverso i siti qui sotto.
                  >
                  > www.officinepanottiche.com
                  > www.nuovostudio.it

                • Luca Vascon
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 14, 2013