Tripod/Monopod Question

  • christophbla
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 4, 2013
      Hi there,

      I've got a question; I'm doing aerial photography in the mountains and therefore need basically a pole with a good stand (tripod) to hold a small monitor or antenna (not the camera, those things are max 1.5kg).

      I'm asking here because I found out that a lot of people are using such setups (pole on a tripod) and I wondered if someone could give me an advice or suggestion.

      The fanotec poles used here are too expensive for me, but I thought I could maybe do something similar. There are also smaller tripod/monopod combinations like this: http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDMzWDY1MA==/z/z4QAAOxy9eVRVqdk/$T2eC16dHJG!E9nm3rIdEBRVqdkER8Q~~60_3.JPG

      Since I already have a Gitzo Tripod that I like very much (it needs to be lightweight for hiking) and since I also want to buy a good monopod for photography, I thought I could just get a good and sturdy Gitzo monopod and somehow mount it to the tripod.

      I could either mount it directly (reversed) using the tripod screw, or use some kind of adapters to do this. The problem is that I don't really know how stable the first option is, it would of course be the easiest way as the Gitzo monopods have screws at both ends..

      Could anyone give me some advice with this problem?
      All in all it should of course be as lightweight as possible but still sturdy..

      Thanks,
      Christoph
    • Briar
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 4, 2013

        I would love to get a ninja pole, and maybe later on this year……in the meantime I have adapted a painters pole ($35NZ) to take the ninja head. It works very well indeed, light and acts as a walking pole when climbing up those hills. Not so clever when used horizontally but OK with lots of builders tape to hold it from unscrewing.

        Okara Bridge

        It only gives me about 11 feet of lift but that is enough for most things I do. I have the camera mounted diagonally (Canon 5D with 8-15mm lens) so six images round gives me almost the full cover, just minor holes at nadir and zenith. I must acknowledge the brilliant work of Roger Berry for this technique.

        Hope this helps, Briar.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 5, 2013
          Thanks for your answer!

          The ninja poles would be nice for antennas, but too expensive at the moment :)
          Also I would like to have a monopod that I could double use for hiking as well.. but as I've said I'm unsure how to mount it and if it's stable enough..
          Maybe I could try to find some clamps..