Re: Scan stitching

  • Dicere
    Message 1 of 11 , May 29, 2013
      I use Photoshop for stitching flat artwork or images. You could replace your colored pencil marks with small pieces of post-it notes and just pull them off after scanning. This could give you lots more registration points with no permanent marks.

      Jeff

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Jan Limpens <jan@...> wrote:

      > Hello and thanks for the reply!
      >
      > > So all your drawings are A2 size then (16.5 x 23.4)?
      > I usually go up to 66 x 48cm (I use these sheets used for book printing and halve and quarter them - they don't follow the A standard).
      >
      > > What end dpi requirement do you have?
      >
      > Usually 150 or 200 dpi at 100%
      >
      > > The copy stand will insure the camera is square beyond that it's a matter of your DPI requirement.
      >
      > I thought about this too, but I thought aberration and low dpi would make this too much work at too bad a quality. But I am really open to suggestions! The way I am doing it right now is tedious and time consuming - I am losing way to much time stitching, time that I miss elsewhere.
      >
      > My perfect workflow would be to throw 8 or so pictures/scans into some folder and have a process/script stitch them together. As my requirements are always the same (or I could make them so) it ought to be possible to automatize this.
      >
      > > Anyway, fill us in a tad more then we should be able to wrap up with a few suggestions
      >
      > There is not really much to it. One more boring point about stitching is, that I use a color pencil to produce random marks over my drawings prior to scanning to allow for stitching together images with white areas. While I see no real other way to do this, it messes up my nice drawings a bit and I seem to be a bit sentimental about these. Any ideas?
      >
      > cheers,
      > abraços,
      >
      > Jan
      > jan@...
      > cel: +11 97909 6066

    • Rodolpho Pajuaba
      Message 2 of 11 , May 29, 2013
        I guess post-its will work fine, their glue is so soft they won't stick to the surface. Regarding the stitiching, if you're not happy with PTGui's workflow you can try PSCS6's Photomerge (File>Automate>Photomerge) or Canon's Panorama app, it used to work very well with mosaic assembling.
        HTH,

        2013/5/29 Jan Limpens <jan@...>

        There is not really much to it. One more boring point about stitching is, that I use a color pencil to produce random marks over my drawings prior to scanning to allow for stitching together images with white areas. While I see no real other way to do this, it messes up my nice drawings a bit and I seem to be a bit sentimental about these. Any ideas?

        cheers,
      • paul womack
        Message 3 of 11 , May 29, 2013
          Jan Limpens wrote:

          > Hello and thanks for the reply!
          >
          >> So all your drawings are A2 size then (16.5 x 23.4)?
          > I usually go up to 66 x 48cm (I use these sheets used for book printing and halve and quarter them - they don't follow the A standard).
          >
          >> What end dpi requirement do you have?
          >
          > Usually 150 or 200 dpi at 100%

          To save others the arithmetic, that's roughly 5200x3800 pixels, roughly 20 Megapixels.

          BugBear
        • jimbo
          Message 4 of 11 , May 29, 2013
            Thanks for doing that Paul..

            Line art actually likes additional dpi typically but with all our new tools, raw files and PS.. you can do a few things to really bring line art to life.. the key is to select all the line work.. The easiest way to do this to select the paper white then do an inverse selection. Then you can modify the selection by smoothing slightly, or expanding or contracting a pixel then filling the selection if you want.. This adds a bit of work but goes pretty quickly .. I was having success with linework using a 12MP camera this way ..It just got easier with more MP.. Never have enough MP...:-)

            jimbo
            >> So all your drawings are A2 size then (16.5 x 23.4)?
            > I usually go up to 66 x 48cm (I use these sheets used for book printing and halve and quarter them - they don't follow the A standard).
            >
            >> What end dpi requirement do you have?
            >
            > Usually 150 or 200 dpi at 100%

            To save others the arithmetic, that's roughly 5200x3800 pixels, roughly 20 Megapixels.

            BugBear

            No virus found in this message.

          • Jan Limpens
            Message 5 of 11 , May 29, 2013
              Quite expensive, but could be a way to go…

              Anyone has experience with this piece?