Re: [PanoToolsNG] Scan stitching

  • paul womack
    Message 1 of 11 , May 29, 2013
      jimbo wrote:

      > Hi Jan,
      > I do a lot of repro work and their are many ways to skin a cat here.. So first a couple of questions.. So all your drawings are A2 size then (16.5 x 23.4)? What end dpi requirement do you have? I assume your scanning them in pieces and that is what is heading south.. First off stitching should work fine but if you do a lot of these I would suggest an alternate process. Purchase a used copy stand and simply shoot them with a DSLR in one piece.. The copy stand will insure the camera is square
      > beyond that it's a matter of your DPI requirement.. Anyway, fill us in a tad more then we should be able to wrap up with a few suggestions

      Alternatively, I used a camera on a pano-head, held around 4 feet above
      a fragile, antique map on the floor to get a giga-pixel style (*) panorama.

      As Jimbo says, many ways to skin a cat.

      BugBear

      (*) raw image was 12,000 x 8,000, not really "giga"
    • Jan Limpens
      Message 2 of 11 , May 29, 2013
        Hello and thanks for the reply!

        So all your drawings are A2 size then (16.5 x 23.4)?
        I usually go up to 66 x 48cm (I use these sheets used for book printing and halve and quarter them - they don't follow the A standard).

        What end dpi requirement do you have?

         Usually 150 or 200 dpi at 100%

        The copy stand will insure the camera is square beyond that it's a matter of your DPI requirement.

        I thought about this too, but I thought aberration and low dpi would make this too much work at too bad a quality. But I am really open to suggestions! The way I am doing it right now is tedious and time consuming - I am losing way to much time stitching, time that I miss elsewhere.

        My perfect workflow would be to throw 8 or so pictures/scans into some folder and have a process/script stitch them together. As my requirements are always the same (or I could make them so) it ought to be possible to automatize this.

        Anyway, fill us in a tad more then we should be able to wrap up with a few suggestions

        There is not really much to it. One more boring point about stitching is, that I use a color pencil to produce random marks over my drawings prior to scanning to allow for stitching together images with white areas. While I see no real other way to do this, it messes up my nice drawings a bit and I seem to be a bit sentimental about these. Any ideas?

        cheers,
        abraços,

        Jan
        cel: +11 97909 6066

      • jimbo
        Message 3 of 11 , May 29, 2013
          Hi Jan, Ok I think I got it now.. I think that when you were scanning in pieces something was heading south there.. It really should work fine.. I have a Heidelberg Nexscan 4200 large format flatbed and frequently do piese this size or larger.. mayb not enough reference points.. I still feel at this size a single frame with a DSLR will get you what your after.. The most important item in a repro process is to keep the camera and the art work square..  Thus I suggested a copy stand..for that size work. You should be able to track down a user pretty cost effectively. Some old enlargers can also be converted really easy. The money item will be your camera ..I would not go less then 16MP for what your up to and at that you will need to spend may less then 5 minutes in photoshop on a piece..getting it where you want it. I use a 24MP Canon,   D800 or an 8k Betterlight scan back .. If you could get a hold of something with 24 MP you'll be laughing ...Make sure you get a flat field lens. If you go with  Nikon you can get the old 55mm Micro for about 75.00 or less typically ...  This process, especially if you can leave it set up all the time, will provide you trouble free instant gratification and free you up to do other things. If your nervous about heading in that direction out source one to see the results..
          Also Their are linear scanners that out their that can easily scan that in one piece.. Most larger cities with service centers have them.. It actually quite cheap to have a scan done this way. It's basically a sheet fed process.

          jimbo
[...]

          No virus found in this message.

        • Dicere
          Message 4 of 11 , May 29, 2013
            I use Photoshop for stitching flat artwork or images. You could replace your colored pencil marks with small pieces of post-it notes and just pull them off after scanning. This could give you lots more registration points with no permanent marks.

            Jeff

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Jan Limpens <jan@...> wrote:

            > Hello and thanks for the reply!
            >
            > > So all your drawings are A2 size then (16.5 x 23.4)?
            > I usually go up to 66 x 48cm (I use these sheets used for book printing and halve and quarter them - they don't follow the A standard).
            >
            > > What end dpi requirement do you have?
            >
            > Usually 150 or 200 dpi at 100%
            >
            > > The copy stand will insure the camera is square beyond that it's a matter of your DPI requirement.
            >
            > I thought about this too, but I thought aberration and low dpi would make this too much work at too bad a quality. But I am really open to suggestions! The way I am doing it right now is tedious and time consuming - I am losing way to much time stitching, time that I miss elsewhere.
            >
            > My perfect workflow would be to throw 8 or so pictures/scans into some folder and have a process/script stitch them together. As my requirements are always the same (or I could make them so) it ought to be possible to automatize this.
            >
            > > Anyway, fill us in a tad more then we should be able to wrap up with a few suggestions
            >
            > There is not really much to it. One more boring point about stitching is, that I use a color pencil to produce random marks over my drawings prior to scanning to allow for stitching together images with white areas. While I see no real other way to do this, it messes up my nice drawings a bit and I seem to be a bit sentimental about these. Any ideas?
            >
            > cheers,
            > abraços,
            >
            > Jan
            > jan@...
            > cel: +11 97909 6066

          • Rodolpho Pajuaba
            Message 5 of 11 , May 29, 2013
              I guess post-its will work fine, their glue is so soft they won't stick to the surface. Regarding the stitiching, if you're not happy with PTGui's workflow you can try PSCS6's Photomerge (File>Automate>Photomerge) or Canon's Panorama app, it used to work very well with mosaic assembling.
              HTH,

              Message 6 of 11 , May 29, 2013
                Jan Limpens wrote:

                > Hello and thanks for the reply!
                >
                >> So all your drawings are A2 size then (16.5 x 23.4)?
                > I usually go up to 66 x 48cm (I use these sheets used for book printing and halve and quarter them - they don't follow the A standard).
                >
                >> What end dpi requirement do you have?
                >
                > Usually 150 or 200 dpi at 100%

                To save others the arithmetic, that's roughly 5200x3800 pixels, roughly 20 Megapixels.

                BugBear
              • jimbo
                Message 7 of 11 , May 29, 2013
                  Thanks for doing that Paul..

                  Line art actually likes additional dpi typically but with all our new tools, raw files and PS.. you can do a few things to really bring line art to life.. the key is to select all the line work.. The easiest way to do this to select the paper white then do an inverse selection. Then you can modify the selection by smoothing slightly, or expanding or contracting a pixel then filling the selection if you want.. This adds a bit of work but goes pretty quickly .. I was having success with linework using a 12MP camera this way ..It just got easier with more MP.. Never have enough MP...:-)

                  jimbo

                  Message 8 of 11 , May 29, 2013
                    Quite expensive, but could be a way to go…

                    Anyone has experience with this piece?