2 resolutions, 1 gigapixel pano

  • Luc Villeneuve
    Message 1 of 6 , May 23, 2013
      Hello everyone,

      I have a project with hot air balloons leaving the ground and a huge crowd looking at these balloons. The client wants the user to be able to add their Facebook tag on the image.

      Of course, all the balloons are moving. To freeze the balloons, I have to use a short lens. It might be a 10,5mm. On the lower hemisphere, the people have to be captured at high definition. Let's say 50mm. At the end, I need to match the resolution of both images, to the resolution of the 50mm.

      Does someone already did such project?

      I did some search on this forum because I already read something on this matter but obviously, I didn't used the right ones. It's probably what we call a language barrier!

      Can you tell me which words I should use in the search to find it?

      Or any advice?

      Thanks, Luc
    • Carlos Chegado Lists
      Message 2 of 6 , May 23, 2013
        Hi Luc,

        I know this might not help you right now, but anyway, you may be happy to know that Aleksandr Resnik will deliver a workshop at Iceland 2013 Conference about that exact topic and will teach everyone in detail how to do it.

        I didn't made the official announcement yet as I am working with Aleksandr on the details of it, but if you check the Schedule you will find it on June 10, 2:30pm. Click on it to see a short description of the workshop which pretty much will deliver what you want: http://www.iceland2013.org/schedule/

        My best regards
        Os melhores cumprimentos

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

        Carlos Chegado

        Iceland2013.org -  The International Panoramic Photography Conference, Selfoss, Iceland, June 10-16, 2013.

        On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 6:53 PM, Luc Villeneuve <luc_villeneuve@...> wrote:

        Hello everyone,

        I have a project with hot air balloons leaving the ground and a huge crowd looking at these balloons. The client wants the user to be able to add their Facebook tag on the image.

        Of course, all the balloons are moving. To freeze the balloons, I have to use a short lens. It might be a 10,5mm. On the lower hemisphere, the people have to be captured at high definition. Let's say 50mm. At the end, I need to match the resolution of both images, to the resolution of the 50mm.

        Does someone already did such project?

        I did some search on this forum because I already read something on this matter but obviously, I didn't used the right ones. It's probably what we call a language barrier!

        Can you tell me which words I should use in the search to find it?

        Or any advice?

        Thanks, Luc

      • Jim Watters
        Message 3 of 6 , May 23, 2013
          I have done a few pano using different lenses or different zooms.

          Using PTGui
          Load the wider full panorama images. Optimize as normal.

          On the Lens Settings tab check Lens and Shift for all images.
          On Optimizer tab, make sure you are using Advanced mode. Uncheck all
          optimization of all images.

          Add the narrower, high resolution images covering the area of interest.
          Because we have already optimized the first set of images and they have all
          their images checked on the Lens Setting tab you can load new setting for this
          lens from Lens database and/or we can optimize new values.

          Add control points for all images.
          Add control points to join the first set of images to the new set of images.
          When Optimizing, only the new images get optimized. Leaving the first set
          unchecked. But include all images in "Use control points of", this will align
          the second set with the first.

          Creating the panorama.
          Create one panorama of just the high res images all blended together.
          Create a second panorama of the low resolution images. This can be also created
          at its max resolution then up-sampled after to match the high resolution. In
          Photoshop you layer the two and blend if you wish.

          Here is an example where I only show the higher resolution images when you zoom in.
          http://photocreations.ca/saintjohn/index.html?cruise_ships_4#cruise_ships_4

          Hugin has the ability to have multiple lenses. You may find this easier.

          Jim Watters

          On 2013-05-23 2:53 PM, Luc Villeneuve wrote:
          > Hello everyone,
          >
          > I have a project with hot air balloons leaving the ground and a huge crowd looking at these balloons. The client wants the user to be able to add their Facebook tag on the image.
          >
          > Of course, all the balloons are moving. To freeze the balloons, I have to use a short lens. It might be a 10,5mm. On the lower hemisphere, the people have to be captured at high definition. Let's say 50mm. At the end, I need to match the resolution of both images, to the resolution of the 50mm.
          >
          > Does someone already did such project?
          >
          > I did some search on this forum because I already read something on this matter but obviously, I didn't used the right ones. It's probably what we call a language barrier!
          >
          > Can you tell me which words I should use in the search to find it?
          >
          > Or any advice?
          >
          > Thanks, Luc

          Jim Watters
          http://photocreations.ca
        • giant_klobasa_monster
          Message 4 of 6 , May 24, 2013
            yes i've done it many times :)

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Luc Villeneuve" <luc_villeneuve@...> wrote:

            > Hello everyone,
            >
            > I have a project with hot air balloons leaving the ground and a huge crowd looking at these balloons. The client wants the user to be able to add their Facebook tag on the image.
            >
            > Of course, all the balloons are moving. To freeze the balloons, I have to use a short lens. It might be a 10,5mm. On the lower hemisphere, the people have to be captured at high definition. Let's say 50mm. At the end, I need to match the resolution of both images, to the resolution of the 50mm.
            >
            > Does someone already did such project?
            >
            > I did some search on this forum because I already read something on this matter but obviously, I didn't used the right ones. It's probably what we call a language barrier!
            >
            > Can you tell me which words I should use in the search to find it?
            >
            > Or any advice?
            >
            > Thanks, Luc

          • giant_klobasa_monster
            Message 5 of 6 , May 27, 2013
              if both are stitched as a 360, you just need to level both panos and stick them together in photoshop. that is all. be sure they are the same projection (equirectangular) of course. layer mask in photoshop and soften up the edges.

              if the focal lengths are closer together, say 28mm and 50mm, you can stitch them all together in autopano giga, although the result never works that well for me (although i'm always doing stuff handheld)

              these panos are all handheld fisheye + handheld 50mm single row
              http://www.360cities.net/search/monument-valley-gigapixel

              sorry for the black thumbnails

              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Luc Villeneuve" <luc_villeneuve@...> wrote:

              > Hello everyone,
              >
              > I have a project with hot air balloons leaving the ground and a huge crowd looking at these balloons. The client wants the user to be able to add their Facebook tag on the image.
              >
              > Of course, all the balloons are moving. To freeze the balloons, I have to use a short lens. It might be a 10,5mm. On the lower hemisphere, the people have to be captured at high definition. Let's say 50mm. At the end, I need to match the resolution of both images, to the resolution of the 50mm.
              >
              > Does someone already did such project?
              >
              > I did some search on this forum because I already read something on this matter but obviously, I didn't used the right ones. It's probably what we call a language barrier!
              >
              > Can you tell me which words I should use in the search to find it?
              >
              > Or any advice?
              >
              > Thanks, Luc

            • Luca Vascon
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 6, 2013
                Hi Luc!
                The easy thing is to output an equirectangular for both things.
                Let's say you cover 360x 120 degrees with the 50mm and one shot up with the emisphere (that will be not entirely covered.
                You have to make a new project stitching the 2 equis, being the lower your first. Use masks to remove the black parts. The output resolution being the one of the biggest image.
                :-)

                Luca

                2013/5/23 Luc Villeneuve <luc_villeneuve@...>
                Hello everyone,

                I have a project with hot air balloons leaving the ground and a huge crowd looking at these balloons. The client wants the user to be able to add their Facebook tag on the image.

                Of course, all the balloons are moving. To freeze the balloons, I have to use a short lens. It might be a 10,5mm. On the lower hemisphere, the people have to be captured at high definition. Let's say 50mm. At the end, I need to match the resolution of both images, to the resolution of the 50mm.

                Does someone already did such project?

                I did some search on this forum because I already read something on this matter but obviously, I didn't used the right ones. It's probably what we call a language barrier!

                Can you tell me which words I should use in the search to find it?

                Or any advice?

                Thanks, Luc

                <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional