Re: 14bit raw video from Canon 5d II/III

  • panovrx
    Message 1 of 11 , May 21, 2013
      There are a couple of features of the Magic Lantern raw-capable firmware versions of particular relevance to panoramists. In the interface you can specify the dimensions of the captured sensor area to a certain extent. eg. You can choose a horizontal resolution of 1920 and a vertical resolution of say 360. This gives you much greater frame rate choice as the data rate is now much less (or you can use slow cards). So with the camera in vertical orientation you can shoot lots of panoramas in raw without too much data or at very high frame rates.

      Also there is a "panning mode" option. This enables you to choose a resolution -- say 360H 1280V -- and then use the "multi-controller" Canon button to move the capture window to the left or right of frame. So you can capture horizontally offset areas of the sensor. And you can use the multicontroller to move the area during the shot giving you in-camera pans.

      Being able to have offset capture areas is good for slice assembly single camera stereo panorama capture scenarios too. Even better for this would be to be able to specify dual vertically adjustable slice areas.

      PeterM

      > Here is an example video with a 10.5mm Nikkor at f2.8 1/30th on a 5DmkIII at 1280ISO
      > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwuSb2uur0Q
      >
      > If you want to try this I think these are the best instructions so far
      > http://www.eoshd.com/content/10352/easier-5d-mark-iii-raw-guide-in-4-steps
      >
      > You need 1000X CF cards for fast frame rates/high resolutions
      >
      > I processed the DNG files with Bridge
      >

      > Warning: may destroy your camera!
      >
      > PeterM

    • Daniel Reetz
      Message 2 of 11 , May 23, 2013
        Thanks, PeterM - with respect to the high frame rate modes, is there a table somewhere that shows the possible rates/resolutions?

        --
        Daniel Reetz

      • panovrx
        Message 3 of 11 , May 23, 2013
          There are two video modes -- normal and magnified (5X or 10X).
          http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5441.0

          Magnified gives you more resolutions but Liveview display when recording is not accurate. In magnified mode you can get the full H width of the sensor (5760 pixels) with small V resolutions. I havent tested this much.

          Magnified mode Raws are sharper than regular raws (not rescaled, exactly like sections of full size raw stills).
          http://www.slashcam.de/tools/ml-raw-calc.html
          http://www.slashcam.de/artikel/Tips/Magic-Lantern-Canon-RAW-FAQ---Teil-2-RAW-Crop-Kalkulationen--Was-ist-1-1-Crop-RAW--63-.html

          with more recent ML versions your card is tested as the camera starts and you have color coded text showing data rates, and indicating (by the colors as well has the text content) if you are dropping frames.

          PeterM

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Reetz <danreetz@...> wrote:

          > Thanks, PeterM - with respect to the high frame rate modes, is there a
          > table somewhere that shows the possible rates/resolutions?
          >

          > On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 3:28 PM, panovrx <mediavr@...> wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > There are a couple of features of the Magic Lantern raw-capable firmware
          > > versions of particular relevance to panoramists. In the interface you can
          > > specify the dimensions of the captured sensor area to a certain extent. eg.
          > > You can choose a horizontal resolution of 1920 and a vertical resolution of
          > > say 360. This gives you much greater frame rate choice as the data rate is
          > > now much less (or you can use slow cards). So with the camera in vertical
          > > orientation you can shoot lots of panoramas in raw without too much data or
          > > at very high frame rates.
          > >
          > > Also there is a "panning mode" option. This enables you to choose a
          > > resolution -- say 360H 1280V -- and then use the "multi-controller" Canon
          > > button to move the capture window to the left or right of frame. So you can
          > > capture horizontally offset areas of the sensor. And you can use the
          > > multicontroller to move the area during the shot giving you in-camera pans.
          > >
          > > Being able to have offset capture areas is good for slice assembly single
          > > camera stereo panorama capture scenarios too. Even better for this would be
          > > to be able to specify dual vertically adjustable slice areas.
          > >
          > > PeterM
          > >

          > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "panovrx" <mediavr@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Here is an example video with a 10.5mm Nikkor at f2.8 1/30th on a
          > > 5DmkIII at 1280ISO
          > > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwuSb2uur0Q
          > > >
          > > > If you want to try this I think these are the best instructions so far
          > > >
          > > http://www.eoshd.com/content/10352/easier-5d-mark-iii-raw-guide-in-4-steps
          > > >
          > > > You need 1000X CF cards for fast frame rates/high resolutions
          > > >
          > > > I processed the DNG files with Bridge
          > > >

          > > > Warning: may destroy your camera!
          > > >
          > > > PeterM
          > > >

          > --
          > Daniel Reetz
          > www.danreetz.com

        • panovrx
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 7, 2013
            Magic Lantern has a realtime dewarping preview option too for fisheye users.

            This is currently set for a Samyang 8mm on aps-c DSLRs I think, but it works well with a 10.5mm Nikkor on full frame, or a Canon 8-15mm at about 10.5mm too. There are two dewarping options -- rectilinear or Panini. It works really well. The frame rate of the camera display (5DmKIII) is almost as fast as normal and the corrections look accurate. It is an extremely handy feature for shooting video or stills that you anticipate being rendered as rectilinear or Panini (or stereographic or equi, or cylindrical) video or stills. The camera just renders the display not the saved movie (stills).

            Both preview options make it much easier to level shots handheld while monitoring the display than using the normal uncorrected preview.

            This previewing feature works with Raw capture too.

            You can compile the source I think to calibrate the correction for different lenses.

            http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Fisheye_Support

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 8, 2013
              Am 08.06.2013 00:44, schrieb panovrx:

              > You can compile the source I think to calibrate the correction for different lenses.

              It's not actually necessary to compile the source but to create a .lut
              (look-up table) file:
              http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/userguide?s[]=fisheye#defishing

            • panovrx
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 8, 2013
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRjd7iO7drM&hd=1

                here is a Mercator perspective video shot handheld using the Panini preview option -- 10mm on 8-15 canon

                PeterM