Re: 14bit raw video from Canon 5d II/III

  • panovrx
    Message 1 of 11 , May 15, 2013
      Yes but HDMI capture just gives you less compression, not raw dynamic range or raw color correction capability. HDMI capture is like going from jpg at Low Quality to jpg at Maximum quality. Whereas raw capture is like going from jpg at Low Quality to Raw. There are some artifacts associated with the Raw capture currently but compared to the regular video quality it is a vast improvement
      eg
      http://vimeo.com/66203064

      PeterM

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "jimbo" <mrjimbo@...> wrote:

      > Peter,
      > If your looking at video capture.. consider looking into an Atomos Ninja also.. I'm not intimate with their use with a Canon except to say that they are being used widely with Canon DSLR's. I am with the D800's & D4's ..We are shooting uncompressed video directly into the Ninja bypassing the internal cards..What this also means is that were shooting directly into SSD's, so size is not an issue anymore. The SSD's are getting fairly cost effective now and work excellant with video capture. The Ninja has a seperate viewing screen and provides many of the video options not presently availble for DSLR's.. The 5dmIII will capture 30fps at 1080P.. Canon released a model (EOS-1D C last year that shoots 4k video.. (4096 x 2160) presently @ 24FPS.. which is quite a bit more then 1080P.. (1920 x 1080)... actually double +..
      >
      > jimbo ----- Original Message -----

    • jimbo
      Message 2 of 11 , May 15, 2013
        Hi again Peter..
        You are correct.. 14 bit Raw , I agree, would certainly be an incredible improvement over what technology is currently available. and yes from an adjustment standpoint it would be great.. I think, like you possibly, I see video as the next frontier. I mean it's been around for some time but it is really advancing to and I feel it will open new doors with other uses.. I mentioned the Atomos Ninja  only in the event you weren't familiar with them.. Atomos has other similar products also .. Canon has released a new version of their firmware 1.2.1 which allows uncompressed HDMI video capture and it works with the Ninja-2.. I would think that were not that far away from seeing some incredible video potential.. Anyway with Magic Lanterns version of the firmware you still should be able to record directly to a Ninja which uses SSD's as the recording media.. I have a couple 480GB Sandisk Extremes and these were well under 400.00 ea.. Recently I bought a few 240GB Sandisk SSD's on sale thru Amazon for 159.00 each..

        Anyway, in the event your not familiar with video implementations .. presently their are three specs beyond 1080P that could be achievable on a DSLR..  4k , 5k and 8K ...... 4k is 4096 x 2160, 5k is 5120 x 2700 & 8k is 8192 x4320.. It's worth keeping an eye on the development of these.. I think outfits to keep an eye on are of course both Canon & Nikon (Canon is clearly superior and Nikon is a late comer but it appears they are now taking video seriously or at least trying to) . Atomos is securely tied to the development of video technology being developed by Canon , Nikon and Red.. and of course Magic Lantern. I try to keep current on what Red is up to as it just help in an understanding of the barriers that High Resolution faces.. Writing the data is a huge issue.. both Atomos and Red work hard raising the bar there..

        Our DLSR's are not designed nor packaged to process data at the rates required.. The barrier is the often the camera buffer..  I look to see Atomos and or Red develop a small compact Stripped raid solution with a few SSD's to overcome this issue.. It's actually sort of exciting to watch all the changing going on.. but also kind of scary too.

        A while back I had the opportunity to view a time lapse video done in 8k.. I will honesty say I was literally blown away.. even now as I recall it.. it  is still unbelievable to me.. That  seems to be where it's headed..

        Lastly is their any software out there now that can deal with 14 bit raw video???

        jimbo

        Message 3 of 11 , May 17, 2013
          Here is an example video with a 10.5mm Nikkor at f2.8 1/30th on a 5DmkIII at 1280ISO
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwuSb2uur0Q

          If you want to try this I think these are the best instructions so far
          http://www.eoshd.com/content/10352/easier-5d-mark-iii-raw-guide-in-4-steps

          You need 1000X CF cards for fast frame rates/high resolutions

          I processed the DNG files with Bridge

          Warning: may destroy your camera!

          PeterM
        • panovrx
          Message 4 of 11 , May 21, 2013
            There are a couple of features of the Magic Lantern raw-capable firmware versions of particular relevance to panoramists. In the interface you can specify the dimensions of the captured sensor area to a certain extent. eg. You can choose a horizontal resolution of 1920 and a vertical resolution of say 360. This gives you much greater frame rate choice as the data rate is now much less (or you can use slow cards). So with the camera in vertical orientation you can shoot lots of panoramas in raw without too much data or at very high frame rates.

            Also there is a "panning mode" option. This enables you to choose a resolution -- say 360H 1280V -- and then use the "multi-controller" Canon button to move the capture window to the left or right of frame. So you can capture horizontally offset areas of the sensor. And you can use the multicontroller to move the area during the shot giving you in-camera pans.

            Being able to have offset capture areas is good for slice assembly single camera stereo panorama capture scenarios too. Even better for this would be to be able to specify dual vertically adjustable slice areas.

            PeterM

            > Here is an example video with a 10.5mm Nikkor at f2.8 1/30th on a 5DmkIII at 1280ISO
            > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwuSb2uur0Q
            >
            > If you want to try this I think these are the best instructions so far
            > http://www.eoshd.com/content/10352/easier-5d-mark-iii-raw-guide-in-4-steps
            >
            > You need 1000X CF cards for fast frame rates/high resolutions
            >
            > I processed the DNG files with Bridge
            >

            > Warning: may destroy your camera!
            >
            > PeterM

          • Daniel Reetz
            Message 5 of 11 , May 23, 2013
              Thanks, PeterM - with respect to the high frame rate modes, is there a table somewhere that shows the possible rates/resolutions?

              --
              Daniel Reetz

            • panovrx
              Message 6 of 11 , May 23, 2013
                There are two video modes -- normal and magnified (5X or 10X).
                http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5441.0

                Magnified gives you more resolutions but Liveview display when recording is not accurate. In magnified mode you can get the full H width of the sensor (5760 pixels) with small V resolutions. I havent tested this much.

                Magnified mode Raws are sharper than regular raws (not rescaled, exactly like sections of full size raw stills).
                http://www.slashcam.de/tools/ml-raw-calc.html
                http://www.slashcam.de/artikel/Tips/Magic-Lantern-Canon-RAW-FAQ---Teil-2-RAW-Crop-Kalkulationen--Was-ist-1-1-Crop-RAW--63-.html

                with more recent ML versions your card is tested as the camera starts and you have color coded text showing data rates, and indicating (by the colors as well has the text content) if you are dropping frames.

                PeterM

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Reetz <danreetz@...> wrote:

                > Thanks, PeterM - with respect to the high frame rate modes, is there a
                > table somewhere that shows the possible rates/resolutions?
                >

                > On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 3:28 PM, panovrx <mediavr@...> wrote:
                >
                > > **
                > >

                > > There are a couple of features of the Magic Lantern raw-capable firmware
                > > versions of particular relevance to panoramists. In the interface you can
                > > specify the dimensions of the captured sensor area to a certain extent. eg.
                > > You can choose a horizontal resolution of 1920 and a vertical resolution of
                > > say 360. This gives you much greater frame rate choice as the data rate is
                > > now much less (or you can use slow cards). So with the camera in vertical
                > > orientation you can shoot lots of panoramas in raw without too much data or
                > > at very high frame rates.
                > >
                > > Also there is a "panning mode" option. This enables you to choose a
                > > resolution -- say 360H 1280V -- and then use the "multi-controller" Canon
                > > button to move the capture window to the left or right of frame. So you can
                > > capture horizontally offset areas of the sensor. And you can use the
                > > multicontroller to move the area during the shot giving you in-camera pans.
                > >
                > > Being able to have offset capture areas is good for slice assembly single
                > > camera stereo panorama capture scenarios too. Even better for this would be
                > > to be able to specify dual vertically adjustable slice areas.
                > >
                > > PeterM
                > >

                > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "panovrx" <mediavr@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Here is an example video with a 10.5mm Nikkor at f2.8 1/30th on a
                > > 5DmkIII at 1280ISO
                > > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwuSb2uur0Q
                > > >
                > > > If you want to try this I think these are the best instructions so far
                > > >
                > > http://www.eoshd.com/content/10352/easier-5d-mark-iii-raw-guide-in-4-steps
                > > >
                > > > You need 1000X CF cards for fast frame rates/high resolutions
                > > >
                > > > I processed the DNG files with Bridge
                > > >

                > > > Warning: may destroy your camera!
                > > >
                > > > PeterM
                > > >

                > --
                > Daniel Reetz
                > www.danreetz.com

              • panovrx
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 7, 2013
                  Magic Lantern has a realtime dewarping preview option too for fisheye users.

                  This is currently set for a Samyang 8mm on aps-c DSLRs I think, but it works well with a 10.5mm Nikkor on full frame, or a Canon 8-15mm at about 10.5mm too. There are two dewarping options -- rectilinear or Panini. It works really well. The frame rate of the camera display (5DmKIII) is almost as fast as normal and the corrections look accurate. It is an extremely handy feature for shooting video or stills that you anticipate being rendered as rectilinear or Panini (or stereographic or equi, or cylindrical) video or stills. The camera just renders the display not the saved movie (stills).

                  Both preview options make it much easier to level shots handheld while monitoring the display than using the normal uncorrected preview.

                  This previewing feature works with Raw capture too.

                  You can compile the source I think to calibrate the correction for different lenses.

                  http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Fisheye_Support

                  PeterM

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 8, 2013
                    Am 08.06.2013 00:44, schrieb panovrx:

                    > You can compile the source I think to calibrate the correction for different lenses.

                    It's not actually necessary to compile the source but to create a .lut
                    (look-up table) file:
                    http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/userguide?s[]=fisheye#defishing

                  • panovrx
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 8, 2013
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRjd7iO7drM&hd=1

                      here is a Mercator perspective video shot handheld using the Panini preview option -- 10mm on 8-15 canon

                      PeterM