The year of 360 video! New challenges...

  • Giorgio Marchetto
    Message 1 of 5 , May 14, 2013
      HI panofriends

      With the new gopro based 360 video hardware: 360rig and 360heros
      and the upcoming fast stitching video software: VideoStitch and KAVA (Kolor Autopano Video Addon)
      with 4000/5000 euros we may have all we need to produce it: 360 video is now finally possible for most of us!
      And with the upcoming (400 euros) toy "geounate360" with 2400x1200 video output will it be open to everyone?

      I think this year it will become very popular!
      Personally, when I'll be successfull in sell my Spheron Spherocam (in anyone interested, pls make me an offer and contact me offlist)
      I'll throw myself into the fray!

      What's the new challenges (critical points) for us with 360 video?
      I would like to share with you about this.  What do you think about?
      Here some points, add yours...

      - video stabilization: the new promising brushless technology, a good traditional steadycam, or a gyro stabilizer?

      - post processing: not more a problem? With the new fast stitching software, time ratio (post production/video lenght) is much faster now

      - bandwidth: 360video require a lot of bandwidth, if you plan to use it only online, this could be a critical issue
        Until now none implemented my old idea "double track 360video" adding high-resolution frames as a virtual 2nd video track:
        low quality in play, high quality in stop/pause.

      - video player: only for flash on the web?
        I have never seen a HTML5 browser native player interactive 360 video example, mobile devices use apps.

      - marketing: how to sell 360 video to the customers? How much to charge?

    • Bruno Postle
      Message 2 of 5 , May 14, 2013
        On Tue 14-May-2013 at 10:27 +0200, Giorgio Marchetto wrote:

        > What's the new challenges (critical points) for us with 360 video?
        > I would like to share with you about this. What do you think
        > about? Here some points, add yours...
        >
        > - video stabilization: the new promising brushless technology, a
        > good traditional steadycam, or a gyro stabilizer?

        It shouldn't be necessary to stabilise the entire rig with this
        heavy equipment, a better solution would be to log the inclination
        during recording and use this information to level the video during
        post-processing.

        --
        Bruno
      • Roberto Mancuso
        Message 3 of 5 , May 15, 2013
          Re: [PanoToolsNG] The year of 360 video! New challenges... Ciao Bruno,

          very interesting suggetion, but you could need a device able to

          record the inclination data....gopro doesn’t have a similar device...does it?

          rob

          Da: Bruno Postle <bruno@...>
          Risposta: <PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com>
          Data: Tue, 14 May 2013 21:51:23 +0100
          A: PanoTools NG <PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com>
          Oggetto: Re: [PanoToolsNG] The year of 360 video! New challenges...

          Message 4 of 5 , May 15, 2013
            On Wed 15-May-2013 at 13:07 +0200, Roberto Mancuso wrote:

            > very interesting suggetion, but you could need a device able to
            > record the inclination data....gopro doesn¹t have a similar
            > device...does it?

            Such logging hardware exists, though I have no idea if it has ever
            been connected to a 360° video rig... I was just noticing that
            stabilising these rigs mechanically has lots of really obvious
            drawbacks compared to post-processing.

            --
            Bruno

            >On Tue 14-May-2013 at 10:27 +0200, Giorgio Marchetto wrote:
            >>
            >> What's the new challenges (critical points) for us with 360 video?
            >> I would like to share with you about this. What do you think
            >> about? Here some points, add yours...
            >>
            >> - video stabilization: the new promising brushless technology, a
            >> good traditional steadycam, or a gyro stabilizer?
            >
            >It shouldn't be necessary to stabilise the entire rig with this
            >heavy equipment, a better solution would be to log the inclination
            >during recording and use this information to level the video during
            >post-processing.
          • panovrx
            Message 5 of 5 , May 15, 2013
              Latency and drift are problems with tracking things. Roll and pitch are not subject to drift but yaw is. A handheld camera can move a lot between frames at 30fps. A combination of tracking data and frame tracking of the actual video might work.

              Most 360 rigs are built of CMOS cameras and most CMOS cameras have a lot of rolling shutter distortion. Despite software like Warp Stabilizer in After Effects it is difficult to completely remove rolling shutter distortions in post processing.

              With tracking hardware tracking accuracy and speed are inversely related. So if the system has a lot of "settle time" the accuracy can be very high.

              There is a lot to be said for stabilizing the camera rig itself. The new gimbal rigs have great roll and pitch stabilizing accuracy. Whether they are compatible with the ergonomics of holding a 360 rig, over your head say, is another question. The new gimbal rigs need to in a state of very accurate natural balance before the power is turned on and it is hard to see how they will not obstruct a 360 view in multiple directions.

              PeterM