Re: Back up your backups?

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 23 , May 2, 2013
      The DVD backup isn't totally obsolete.
      For finished panoramas, I archive my RAW images and the panorama template to archival grade DVDs.
      This is in case a major technical change occurs, e.g. Adobe Camera Raw ability to correct lens distortions and chromatic aberration.

      What I do:
      batch-convert RAW images to DNG, embedding any XMP data inside the DNG file.
      Copy the folders, DNG files, and any templates, or stitching projects to an external drive (not my usual backup drive). Don't copy working files or finished output files (jpegs, PSD etc)!
      Burn the archive files to Taiyo Uden DVD's.
      Store the DVDs offsite.
      Delete the files I have archived from my PC AND from my regular backup system (NAS). This includes both raw files e.g. CR2 AND DNG files.
      This leaves me with more free space, and a reliable long-term version of the raw data and the time-consuming stitching project files.
      It means I don't have to maintain multiple backups of large files that never change. My day-to-day backup system can be focussed on new files and changing files.
    • John
      Message 2 of 23 , May 2, 2013

        I have a question for all my collogues,  I have been a very deep user of the program Stitcher. The program sold to Autodesk years ago, and because of upgrades in the Apple operating system, it has failed on all installations on my MAC, but I still have a working copy on my PC.  There are two reasons I still use Stitcher as my main software for panorama production.  One, is that it includes enblend, which makes my images as sharp as 8X10, and second because you can go to the center of the image projection and from a center point lift or lower the center of the image.  I think since Stitcher was a bundled package with Monfroto’s QTVR head that since the native projection was based on a being able to manipulate a spherical geometry, that you are able to shift the counterpoint of an image.  By this, I mean that you can stand at the corner of a building and rotate the vantage point to where it looks like you were standing predominately in front of the right side of the building.  With the press of the “alt” key and the left clicking, you can change the vantage point so that the point of focus travels to a point where you are on the right side of the building, as if sliding within a sphere.  You can also raiser the center point to correct of distortion.  Is there another software that lets you shift the image center based on a spherical center point projection?  NEED TO KNOW.

        John

        John McCarthy Photography

        801-699-6260

        31 M Street

        Salt Lake City, UT 84103

        www.johnmccarthyphoto.com

        Commercial | Resort | Food | Architectural

      • Sacha Griffin
        Message 3 of 23 , May 2, 2013
          Ptgui.

          It's what virtually everyone uses.

          Sacha Griffin
          Office: 404-551-4275

[...]

          Salt Lake City, UT 84103

          www.johnmccarthyphoto.com

          Commercial | Resort | Food | Architectural

        • AYRTON
          Message 4 of 23 , May 2, 2013
            On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 12:48 AM, Sacha Griffin <sachagriffin@...> wrote:

            Ptgui.

            It's what virtually everyone uses.

            Sacha Griffin

            And  AUTOPANO GIGA from Kolor

            + 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
            http://ayrton360.com
            twitter.com/ayrton360

            "It's not WHAT you shoot. It's the WAY you shoot it."

[...]

            Salt Lake City, UT 84103

            Message 5 of 23 , May 3, 2013
              Am 03.05.2013 05:34, schrieb John:
              > I have a question for all my collogues, I have been a very deep user of the
              > program Stitcher.

              And why do you hijack a thread about backup? You probably get more
              attention and more answers if you start a new thread instead of simply
              pressing "Reply" in a totally unrelated discussion.